Thread: My first springer mechanical resto

My first springer mechanical resto

So I've owned an old HW77K for a few Years, I think its about 1987 1041***K ?

I've never taken it apart , it does look very original and as dry as a bone in the breach.

It shoots ok, makes reasonable power but feels dry under cocking, and makes that awful boing sound when fired.

I've purchased some bits from Knibbs and plan to have a go at improving the old girl.

Could anyone share an opinion on the following parts , have I made the right purchases ?

Titan XS No 9 mainspring.
    Titan XL guide
    Titan top hat
    Titan power boosters
    HW77 breach seal
    HW77 piston seal

And some molybdenum grease.

This will be my first attempt to improve a spring rifle.

Thanks for any comments and tips !

Good shopping list. Very easy rifle to work on and rewarding when done.
    Will check my notes tomorrow for spring/pre load data etc.
    You don't say calibre which makes a difference to spring set up as I'm sure you know.

You tube university

Plenty of helpful videos on you tube , simple rifle to work on be methodical, beware of the original spring guide when releasing the spring as can have sharp edges, caught a lot of people out that one, and enjoy above all,

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    Good shopping list. Very easy rifle to work on and rewarding when done.
    Will check my notes tomorrow for spring/pre load data etc.
    You don't say calibre which makes a difference to spring set up as I'm sure you know.

Thanks.

It's .22.

Knibbs sent me a number 9 spring I'm sure it says on the spring packet that's for the HW57.

I'll check in the morning.

I'll take my time refreshing it , I'm not doing anything fancy but I'd like to crony the gun before and after.

The No9 is indeed listed for the Hw57. The listed spring for a 77, standard power, is the No.1. I do not recall using a No1 in a 77 but from experience I have not yet had a Titan spring that just 'drops in' ... they have all needed trimming to suit to stay 12ftlb legal, including refinishing the cut end.
    I am not saying the 57 spring will not fit/work. It may well do, but may still need trimming. My chart gives it as the same length as a no1 (280mm) but with fewer coils. (28 vs 33). If this is wrong then please let me know.
    Cheers, Phil

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    You will definitely need a chrono as that lot will put it over the limit almost certainly.

If you hadn't already got the stuff I would suggest a new standard piston seal, and a tinbum guide kit custom fitted by Herr Bum to a spring of your choice.

My Ye Olde basic tune guide might be useful too..

anything more technical ask Shed Tuner or T20 et al...

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ing-Gun-Tuning