Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who has rifles fitted with Optimas?

Who has rifles fitted with Optimas?

Just for fun, who has rifles fitted with Optima scopes?
    What on and how fitted mount wise?

My all time favourite combo is the FWB Sport with a 4x40 Apel Mounts; just for pure looks.

I prefer the Moonlighter over the Super Moonlighter just because of the size match to rifle.

My good pal has a 3-9×45 on his mk1 HW80. Period one piece mount, make unknown. He bought the combo from Optima Leisure Products and still has the receipt.

Ive owned several Optimas in my time bought direct from when it was based in Ginlow Mill in Bolton. Some scopes used to come back off mail order by unsatisfied customers and some of these had slight mount marks and could not be sold as new while boxed etc and only a few days old. These could be had for a fraction of their new price if you knew the right people. This was also the system with their lovely thick padded gun slips (GC ?) . Some were brand new and had only been damaged (nicked) with knives when opened carelessly. Again, I was offered these at a fraction of their new price. Problem was when you went to the local gun club dozens of members had the same bags so you has to mark yours.
    This was also the system with some airguns. FWB Sport and HW35 especially. I once owned a .22 'Sport with a spare .177 barrel bought for a fraction of the new cost.

Personally I favour the early Tasco FM & AG scopes over the Optima (Hakko) ones. [Im off now to hide in my gun room.]

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Personally I favour the early Tasco FM & AG scopes over the Optima (Hakko) ones. [Im off now to hide in my gun room.]

ATB
    Ian
    No Optimas. One definite Hakko, an SS-1 4x16. One probable Hakko, a Sussex Armoury branded 3-9x40 with BDC top turret very similar to the later BDC Optimas.

On Ian’s point I’d just note that for a year or two in the early 80s, the 2-7x32 Tasco A.G. with AO was the FT scope of choice.

I also remember the Optima GC gunbags. IIRC they were advertised as “PVC leather” or something like that. So not leather.

[QUOTE=Geezer;756

I also remember the Optima GC gunbags. IIRC they were advertised as “PVC leather” or something like that. So not leather.[/QUOTE]

Zip broke on mine on the way back from Bisley in '82. Tied it up with a shoe lace. Cops asked me what was in the bag at a train station in London on my way home . Told them it was my airgun and that was OK. I was 16... The barrel was poking out the end! Optima replaced the bag as it was under a year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    No Optimas. One definite Hakko, an SS-1 4x16. One probable Hakko, a Sussex Armoury branded 3-9x40 with BDC top turret very similar to the later BDC Optimas.

On Ian’s point I’d just note that for a year or two in the early 80s, the 2-7x32 Tasco A.G. with AO was the FT scope of choice.

I also remember the Optima GC gunbags. IIRC they were advertised as “PVC leather” or something like that. So not leather.
    Deffo not leather and, thankfully, easily damaged when they were opening the crates with craft knives.

And yes, I do prefer the Tasco 2-7AG (Jap) over any Optima. I say Jap because the later Tasco 2-7 were made in Tiwan (?) and bizz.
    Mind you I also have a Optima 2-7x32 p/x adj scope made at the end of the companies life, when it was owned by Target Sports and thats bizz as well.
    ATB
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 21-09-2018 at 09:05 AM.

Tasco was a brand as was Optima. At sometime in the 90's Hakko or whoever were making the Tascos sent their mchinery to Taiwan to continue the manufacture. Funny you I have two identical Tasco 3-9 x40 Prohorns one Jap and one Taiwanese, but I'd give the later 10% brighter.
    It did seems that coatings and just something coud change from year to year with certain models.

With Optimas the first few years they came parallaxed to air rifle ranges. Later this feature changed to the standard 100m. Thankfully the design allows them to be parallaxed back. Some scopes do not have the space to more the front lens forward so they are stuck at 100m. Some scopes can and some can't be reparallaxed.
    AO scopes that allow for ten to infinity parallax are the way to go. However, have a poor one and there can be POI shifts; really has to be made well.

In the early days a 4x40 was all air rifles shooters demanded. That was a huge leap from iron sights. It also showed up how poor rifles grouped once beyond the farmyard ranges. As shooters could get a sight picture on targets further out then they demanded more from their rifles. And more from the pellets too.

I agree the better Tascos were great. They didn't stay great and not every model in the line was equal to the task. Basically you had to pick the good'un model. Kassnar was another brand which started well and then went very average. The real change was the trade changed in 1992, and the who scope world was different again. Simmons hit the market with their WTC range.. the rest is history.

The early Optimas were well matched to the springers of the 80's. Good quality to price. By the 90's they lost out to cheaper and the fact they were showing their age. Really didn't matter what additional features or models they brought to the product range.
    To me certain 80's rifles look the part when fitted with an Optima. HW35E, 80, 77, FWB Sport, Original 45, even Omega. Certainly German rifles of the 80's.

I well remember turning up to a club many years ago with a Optima 3-9x40 scope mounted onto a Mk 1 Vulcan (?). I was ridiculed by the members with comments like 'You will never use 9 mag!'. Little did we know.
    My favourite scope over any Optimas is the little Tasco 611VFM which is p/x in feet for airgun ranges. Its often dismissed by other air gunners because its doesn't have a dustbin lid sized objective lens. Ive a couple fitted to matching FWB Sports (124 & 127) and what a lovely, sleek combo they produce.

I have a HW35 E .177 Vixen with optima 4-32 and the brown GC gunbag with eggshell foam liner

It also has the Air Logic adaptor to fit a whisper moderator but retain use of the open sights

Lovely scopes here is one of mine.

I still think the Sport looks best with the Optima 4x40 with Apel mounts. I'm sure those Tascos do the Sports proud but to me they look as if they belong on a BSA.
    I don't have one but a Moonlighter on a HW80 would be the biz. Or Original 45.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    I still think the Sport looks best with the Optima 4x40 with Apel mounts. I'm sure those Tascos do the Sports proud but to me they look as if they belong on a BSA.
    I don't have one but a Moonlighter on a HW80 would be the biz. Or Original 45.
    Is this better?

I had two Maccari tuned 'Sports, a 124 and a 127. Two left hand standard stocks and two Tasco 611VFM & Apel mounts so I had to put these together.

Other scopes of this period that havent been mention are the Kassnar Beta 3 with the built in spirit level and, dont laugh, the Nikko S 4 x 28 Tiarra. A great little scope that could be picked up for peanuts a few years ago.

ATB
    Ian

Nearly there (So thats were all the Apel mounts went )
    I can't get to my usual Sport picture.

Anyone have a HW80 topped with a Moonlighter? Or even Supermoonlighter?

Yep. I do. I will try and dig out a photo. I’ve got a 3-9x56 super moonlighterAnd a couple of 3-9x45 AO which feel a bit more manageable on size. And a 4x40.

I’ve also got an Apollo 5star 3-9x56 which is in the same vein. I want to like these more than more modern scopes because they are older, relevant for period rifles and have that charm but I must admit that other equivalent mag scopes like the Nikon efr and the sightron 3-9x36 are so much better (optically). All are duplex.

The scope that seems to marry the best of both worlds is the Leupold 3-9x33 efr in gloss black. Lovely wee thing. I have two. And they go on my best rifles!
    https://www.walnut.black

John Darling had the Super Moonlighter on his Venom?/Mastersport?? HW80 .22. Thats a big rifle and the scope only just looks alright, most rifles it would swamp. The later AO Moonlighters look like a 50 rather than 45 objective being bigger. Probably best on a HW77 or HW80. For Sports or Original 45 's then the Moonlighter is enough no AO.
    Of the big objectives 56's then I have been rather unimpressed on the whole with them brightness wise. Tascos and Kassnar were poor, and I didn't find the Super Moonlighter wort the bulk penalty over a brighter glassed 45 or even 40. Only my Zeiss grabbed the light at twilight that these big objectives promise.

AO is a useful feature though is one more thing to go wrong. They change the look of a scope and can look a bit of an afterthought. Some look fine.

I do like the look of the clean lines that non AO scopes have such as the S&B 8X50 have on a full bore rifle. Side parallax has returned that look.

Some scopes are just gems and seem to be brighter and work so well. Not surprising once found then a couple is only just enough.
    Those early Apollo scopes were fine bright scopes. Some of the 32's AO were bright and they look the same scale as a 40. The two Kassnar Betas that have passedme were poor for their big price tag; one was bust having the wire crosshair of old; not impressed.

Leupolds have always been great scopes. Build quality and brighness but they cost more than most rifles by quite a margin.
    Modern glass is better, there have been some real progress there. However, to get the period experience then use a period scope.

(I.J. do get a platted sling for one of your Sports as they are very "period" for the time.)