Well this is something I'd be interested in hearing opinions on. It's something I've wondered before but my 'production numbers v calibre' question has brought it to mind again.
Back in the early days there were all manner of makes of air rifle being used for bell target shooting, but as time went on BSA seems to have been the preferred maker with various models being available over the years. So I think they were the ones with the largest market share in this sector up until the second world war. Bell target popularity had probably peaked by then but after the war (1939-1945) BSA introduced the Airsporter/Club model, Webley introduced the MkIII & a Supertarget version in due course with match sights, but I wonder if it was marketed to sell into the bell target or the 6yd target market. Either way what surprises me a bit is that BSA with their sucess in bell target shooting didnt introduce an equivalent of the Supertarget with a decent set of apperture sights. If Webley thought there was a market what was it that stopped BSA going down the same route? Certainly the Club was available but I have never seen any with anything other than standard open sights. Was it that the Webley was more hand made & so varriations were easier to accomodate in production compared to the BSA line? Or are there other reasons?
Any ideas?