Quote Originally Posted by warbucks View Post
Hi Lads.
243 hornady 75g v-max heads, done the powder weight testing arrived at 43.5 gn of Ramshot big game.
With a bullet seating depth of 2.640 im getting two shots within 1/2" with the third at 1 1/4" that is random -------suppose this needs more work ?
From 2.640 - 2.745 which is around the maximum length i can go while still keeping 6mm in the case neck there would be 22 setting at 5 thou, i dont fancy doing all them shots, can anyone suggest any ways to reduce this, ie with the 2.640 seating depth doing 1 1/4" group, does this suggest it just need 5-10 thou either side of this ----or doesn’t it work that way ? -------am i better starting at 2.745 and reducing by 5 thou until i hopefully get there.

Thanks for your help Dave (warbucks)
DEFINITELY load then length.

Quote Originally Posted by dicehorn View Post
Its generally recognised that the powder is the first step followed by the distance from the lands.

My advice for a 'short cut' would be to use the OCW method whereby you start with a uniform distance from the lands ( I would suggest 40 thou back) for the weights of powder you have selected when using the 75 gr V max. If you move up in .3 gr increments you should find a node from the OCW target that is good and if you feel there could be improvement then stay with that powder weight but alter the distance from the lands to see if there is a change for the better.
A considerable time ago (and after a serious amount of frustration with one particular 22-250) I followed Mr Dicehorn's advice and finished up with a home brew that sat -137 thou off the lands that was simply fabulous.

Once you have found the load, make up 50 rounds at mid level OAL (as above, 40 thou) and then go to the range with your press and dies, fire five rounds, squeeze the next 5 rounds in 5 thou and repeat.

Stick with it. It is worth it.

PS (x2)

1. Batch weigh the v-max (some awful variations)

2. Ditch the v-max and switch to Sierra's