Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crazy $ for Hy-Score Phoenix Sporter Air Pistol.

Do you know what the thread on the silencer is JB?

Here's a plated one that passed through my hands some time ago.

I had a cased version similar to JB's which sold a short while ago, and still have a boxed .22 version on it's own with no accessories.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Do you know what the thread on the silencer is JB?

Sorry Ginge, I don't know but if I can find my thread gauges i'll see if I can match it up to any

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    You live in the right country for this. Curious what FPS you getting? I heard the internals were indentical to the US model? No doubt the early one just looks right. Not really sold on the Mark 2, the sight looks blocky to me and I read it’s plastic?
    If memory serves, a UK airgun magazine review panned the sights which prompted the MKII. While the new sight itself is plastic (haven't looked at mine to confirm) but the real point is that gun now has scope grooves so most any sight or scope you want can now be mounted. Myview was that the MKII was a significant upgrade.

Durability

I'm a bit disappointed with the foam lining in my Hy-score cases.It has crumbled away! A VERY temporary arrangement.I'll make a cardboard cut-out inner! Trev

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    You live in the right country for this. Curious what FPS you getting? I heard the internals were indentical to the US model? No doubt the early one just looks right. Not really sold on the Mark 2, the sight looks blocky to me and I read it’s plastic?
    I had a black one some time ago and far from being the rumoured power-house - I do recall being very disappointed with my velocities...

I re-sprung and resealed mine - but the improvement was marginal, I cannot remember the exact velocity now, but they were advertised here as being 500fps in .177, but from memory I think mine struggled to hit 400fps.

The 'silencer' was just straight through and ultimately I felt disappointed with mine so it went...even though it was one of those guns I really wanted when I was younger.

I'd be interested to know if mine was untypical of the model...

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    I had a black one some time ago and far from being the rumoured power-house - I do recall being very disappointed with my velocities...

I re-sprung and resealed mine - but the improvement was marginal, I cannot remember the exact velocity now, but they were advertised here as being 500fps in .177, but from memory I think mine struggled to hit 400fps.

The 'silencer' was just straight through and ultimately I felt disappointed with mine so it went...even though it was one of those guns I really wanted when I was younger.

I'd be interested to know if mine was untypical of the model...
    The "trick" in obtaining good velocities with the original version is to lube the piston with white grease (if memory serves, Lubriplate, a known American brand of lube that comes in a tube and is white, of course, is what they used.) Using this paste was what the factory substituted in place of the original piston rings. No idea if the version was any different.

You can make a flat polyurethane washer that fits inside the piston and has a centre hole that is a good fit around the barrel. The polyurethane washer is then covered by a steel washer to protect it from the spring. This is much better than the grease which soon loses any sealing effect around the barrel.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    The "trick" in obtaining good velocities with the original version is to lube the piston with white grease (if memory serves, Lubriplate, a known American brand of lube that comes in a tube and is white, of course, is what they used.) Using this paste was what the factory substituted in place of the original piston rings. No idea if the version was any different.
    IIRC the Pheonix versions had an o-ring outer piston seal and nothing other than a sliding fit as an inner seal!

My British one had more power than the American ones I’ve had.
    But neither were powerhouses.
    Especially when compared with American co2 pistols.

Must stick up for the early American guns. I just Chronied this 1952? Hyscore Sporter below with 7 grain Hobbys. It was hitting right at 500 FPS. As you can see it is almost in new condition. Have no idea if it has the metal rings, I know they phased out the metal to O rings sometimes during the production cycle. I think in comparing vintage guns we often compare well used guns, which don’t reflect what standards at which they could originally performed?

Last edited by 45flint; 29-10-2018 at 02:35 PM.

Very cool in its own way - looks a bit Dan Dare with the ultra short barrel instead of the extra cylinder length for the silencer thread.

My Americans both had the longer barrel.
    Target model?
    Also both in .22 which didn’t help.

The Phoenix was .177 and the short barrel so was a bit feisty.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Very cool in its own way - looks a bit Dan Dare with the ultra short barrel instead of the extra cylinder length for the silencer thread.
    Dan Dare: the English Flash Gordon.

There's a rare Dan Dare metal squirt gun which has always escaped my grasp.