Thread: What to do with a FWB Sport 124

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Some time ago I talked to Maccari who was "The Man" on Sports. He basically said that power was more luck than anything! Be happy from anything from 9.5 to 10.5 so long as it was smooth. The reason given was that the Sport was done in batches and each time it depended on what tubes and machining set up was done that month, the early ones being far less easy to get any power out of.

Whatever the real reason its true that they behave best just smooth, and its difficult to force full power out of them. Others may know and have got them to shoot well and at full power but they are as difficult as the HW35E. Just the way it is.

The Sports sold very well in both 124 and 127. For collectors there are mint ones to be found. There are plenty of used in every condition, most being just excellent. Many a barrel might not be absolutely straight but that doesn't effect accuracy. Annoyingly every trigger is a tad different and all have some squidge. Bust the safety catch slide and thats trouble as no one does replacements.
    If you desire a mint one then buy one, best to keep them that way. If you want one to shoot any will do, and tuning any which way you like makes no real difference to any sell on price. They are popular and change hands regulary enough, loads to choose from and a bit like buses. Get a good one and they deliver, but all are a bit twitchy and not the most forgiving beingso light weight. Their handerling, pointability is why I love them. If you want something easy get a brick of a HW77/80. Because Sports are flighty they are fun shooting, best shot standing unsupported. Try and tame them by tieing to a bench they are going to give you grief.

Scope wise a 4x40 for the 127 and a 3-9x40 or 45 for the 124 look and handle best. Apel cross pin mounts look fantastic though Sportsmatch or a one piece will hold the scope securely enough. Most scopes have to be quite far back on the mounts so the rear mount is butted up on the turret block in the middle. They excel within the farmyard though can do a tad further.

To sum up. I don't think they are worth trying to make "as new" again as there are mint ones to be had. For a shooter just get a tidy one. I do think tinkering and tuning is a worthy exercise but you might not get 11.9ft/lbs. Lots of ways to tune. Original springs and pston seal greens ones tend to work. Anything else can be a bit of a challenge, and luck. To get a tune result might take someone who really knows how to advance tune.

Anyhow, I just love Sports. However, there are easier rifles to shoot.
    Last edited by Muskett; 22-09-2018 at 08:20 PM.