Thread: What to do with a FWB Sport 124

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DM80 View Post
    The fwb sport was a nice gun but it was nothing special I've owned many over the years it had its faults and to be fair the barrel lock up was piss poor its trigger unit was average at best its plastic sights are rubbish and the recoil was not good if you could shoot one in the day accurately you were a superstar a modern day lightweight Springer in the same class say a hw95 or hw99s are far superior in all departments ie build quality trigger mech and overall accuracy but the fwb was a pritty gun.

Dave.
    This assessment of the Sport is fine as far as it goes, with the benefit of hindsight and 20/20 vision.

But it fails to take into account the special place the Sport occupies in the history of FT shooting, or the affection in which it's held by many airgunners, myself included, who have owned one since the early '80s. The top quality of the cylinder, the barrel, the finishing of the metalwork, the fact that it was the only sporter produced by one of the most successful match airgun manufacturers ever, all make its flaws tolerable.

Yes, they may not compare well against some air rifles made since, or even perhaps at the same time, but they have a character that endears them to collectors in a way that other rifles just don't.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    This assessment of the Sport is fine as far as it goes, with the benefit of hindsight and 20/20 vision.

But it fails to take into account the special place the Sport occupies in the history of FT shooting, or the affection in which it's held by many airgunners, myself included, who have owned one since the early '80s. The top quality of the cylinder, the barrel, the finishing of the metalwork, the fact that it was the only sporter produced by one of the most successful match airgun manufacturers ever, all make its flaws tolerable.

Yes, they may not compare well against some air rifles made since, or even perhaps at the same time, but they have a character that endears them to collectors in a way that other rifles just don't.
    Couldn’t have put it better.

There’s a reason why people (me) bought the FWB over other choices in the late 70s and early 80s, despite it costing more than the others. Light weight, handling, cocking effort, build quality, looks, accuracy....

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    HW77 is so much easier to use, strip and will last longer than its owner.

Fit one with the barrel from a Feinwerkbau Sport and you have a super dooper springer!

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    HW77 is so much easier to use, strip and will last longer than its owner.

Fit one with the barrel from a Feinwerkbau Sport and you have a super dooper springer!
    Yes, but the 77 came out in something like late 1984 (and the HW80 in around 1981, and IIRC the Diana 45 in about 1978), whereas the Sport was available from 1973. That’s a good long run as the best gun, or one of the best, in town.

For a good while the choice was an Airsporter, a Webley MKIII, a HW35, maybe a BSF S70 or Annie 335.
    Later to add to the mix an Airsporter S, HW35E, and Original 45. BSF went bust. The Webley Vulcan was half the price of these. Or the Jap Sharp pumper.

Later again the HW80 and HW77, with Theobn just starting out.

There wasn't much else other than a Sussex Armoury Hi Power

By 1986 tuning was happening. The Vulcan an Omega. Theoben had German barrels, and Air Arms was in business. And the first PCP's started to appear. Webley and BSA were doing their best to go bust. BSA's Superstar was on the drawingboard and the Sterling was history as were the Brockets cartridge system for rifles. But at least people were hitting things out of the farmyard and knock down targets were being placed at 40m!

Late 80's annoyingly the FWB MKIII came out and that really didn't help the Sport. The Orinal 45 in .20 was being discounted. Things had moved on. The HW77 rule had been usurped by the PCP done by the likes of Daystate and Theoben's Rapid 7. No looking back after that.

Again HW's should have been issued with a wheelbarrow. The FWB was The rifle for a young teenager around the farmyard and hedgerows, plus it had a 4x40 or 3-9x45 scope. The trigger fantastic compared to the Vulcan MKI or BSA Mercury.

The HW95 is probably the nearest thing to the Sport now. They are flighty too because of the weight. I have both and the 95 needed tuning up to work well.
    Last edited by Muskett; 24-09-2018 at 12:20 AM.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Yes, but the 77 came out in something like late 1984 (and the HW80 in around 1981, and IIRC the Diana 45 in about 1978), whereas the Sport was available from 1973. That’s a good long run as the best gun, or one of the best, in town.
    For sure, I am not doubting its supremacy for a good long time. I think the Sport was out earlier than 73, and I am sure the 45 was out later, in about 1981.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    For sure, I am not doubting its supremacy for a good long time. I think the Sport was out earlier than 73, and I am sure the 45 was out later, in about 1981.
    Original 45 was introduced in 1978, not sure about the FWB. I have no real experience of the Sport but I'm enjoying this thread just the same.
    Perhaps I'll catch up with one some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    Original 45 was introduced in 1978, not sure about the FWB. I have no real experience of the Sport but I'm enjoying this thread just the same.
    Do it
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    It DEFINITELY was not introduced in 1978. It was at least 1981, slightly before the HW80. They were still pissing about with the 35 and the 50 in 1978. B.B. Pelletier says it was introduced in 1978 on his blog, but he is mistaken.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 24-09-2018 at 06:42 PM.