Thread: What to do with a FWB Sport 124

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I agree with most of what you say, but the FWB Sport has always been full power and all the ones I have had put out over 11 fpe, some of the .22s were OTT and had to be reigned in. They are REALLY not difficult to get 12 fpe out of and I am surprised both you and Maccari claim this. Ask RustyBuzz, his Dad Dave Welham must have prepped hundreds of them.
    yup 100%. The only one I ever had that didn't make good power (as you know), was one fitted with an undersize Maccari piston seal. A properly sized seal was fitted and more than enough power was available
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Well, an enormous amount of advice, and thank you very much to everyone who has contributed. The one thing that i am absolutely convinced of after reading it all is that I shall not be disappointed that I have at last achieved the status of "Sport owner". It seems that I can't go far wrong if I try an original spring and seal, and if I don't like the result at least I shall have a base to work from in trying other measures, so I will give that a whirl to start with. As I said, I should like to keep it within the spirit of its time if possible - I wonder what tinkery new owners in the seventies did to improve it? And, not that i can work to their standard, but what was done to an Airmasters tuned one?

Another class airgun at the time was the original 45 it was a great airgun had it all it was strong accurate decent trigger good barrel and even though it used a similar ball detent breech lock up system as the sport it took a lot more force to open than a sport which if a fly landed on the barrel it would open the 45's only downside was it was an ugly mother.

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by DM80 View Post
    Another class airgun at the time was the original 45 it was a great airgun had it all it was strong accurate decent trigger good barrel and even though it used a similar ball detent breech lock up system as the sport it took a lot more force to open than a sport which if a fly landed on the barrel it would open the 45's only downside was it was an ugly mother.

Dave.
    Nicely summed up Dave. Owning a few Sports and 45s I would say that build quality and finish is pretty much on par with both marques. Aesthetically the Sport is easier on the eye alright and is very pointable as a hunter being lightweight and easy to manoeuvre within woodland on grey squirrels for example. But the 45 is a more robust gun, its trigger superior to the sport despite it being a little shapeless and is certainly stronger (says he who clumsily snapped a cast Sport trigger).
    I find the 45 is easier to achieve a good level of accuracy with over the Sport. Whereas the Sport can get there but requires more refinement of technique and hold. Satisfying when you crack it though.
    Like a lot of guns the Sport is a mixture of high quality German engineering and "what the hell were they thinking of design" such as plastic rear sight, feeble and temperamental safety slide, and basic trigger design and adjustability.
    They are both German guns and get my vote, but the 45 edges it for me. And in respect of the 45's bland stock this has actually grown on me over the years. I appreciate its basic uncluttered lines, especially in the hunting field where I use them exclusively. And for those preferring something a little more mainstream the RWS 45 ticks a box.
    To end on the Sport what were FWB thinking with the Mk3😂😂.
    Dave

That's a really helpful guide to the strip, many thanks Jules. I haven't stripped the trigger, I don't think I need to, but I am definitely keeping this for when the need arises

Agree with jonnyone.

The Original 45 was a good few bob cheaper than the Sport or HW35E. They never had the power issues either other than getting too high and the triggers are a tad better than the Sport though not quite a Rekord.
    I like the looks of the 45 just wished it had been offered with a deluxe walnut one, and not that Jubilee edition.
    They were a little weight forward that actually helped for standing shots. They were my recommendation at the time for those on a budget.

For period rifles then when comparing to those days it should include the Webley Vulcan Deluxe, and BSA's Airsorter and Mercury S's;even a BSF54 and 70. Maybe the Annie 335. The Webleys and BSA cost a lot lot less without walnut, but with them there was only a fiver in it. £77 to £110 was the price spread between all the main contenders, though £30 was "proper" money in 1980. The Vulcan MKI was half that of anything German. A scope £45 to £75 or so with another tenner or so for a set of one piece mounts. A great combo was £200 smackers with gunslip.

Venom tune was about £25 or 25% of the cost of a factory. A full Venom rifle twise the price.

Over the next ten years everything was tried. Both Webley and BSA struggled due to a lack of innovation and investment. Their biggest failure was not to give a Rekord breaking trigger. Theoben showed the way in innovation and class of product. But by the 90's PCP's were here to stay. Those that put the innovation and investment in generally did well. Sadly not every innovation worked or new idea succeeded as some were too late; Park Rifle Company 1992; or just not crasy good Sterling.

A lot happened in the 1980's. A lot was learnt. I think Air Arms does springers now from all those 80's lessons. They just sum up it all in a "best" springer rifle. Spring or even Gasram the piston system can only get so far. Or can it????

I never tire of reading people's thoughts with regard to the FWB 124/7 or the Original 45 - both magnificent rifles and, in my view, they can still compete with modern springers, with the exception of the triggers. However, one gets the hang of the triggers and then factors this in. A young friend of mine was astonished at the ability of the FWB127 alongside his HW97.

"Get a good one and they deliver, but all are a bit twitchy and not the most forgiving being so light weight." Muskett is so right about that but it is not so difficult to get the hang of the FWB after some target shooting. It needs sympathetic and careful handling, not least because of the light weight. However, I fear - despite what Muskett says - that it is not so easy to find one for sale. I looked for sometime before finding one earlier this year. The owners seem reluctant to part with them.

Now I have got the hang of it, I have found the 127 performs extremely well with Accupell and H&N light. It is highly accurate at 45 yds - approx. 3/4in groups; I have not tried greater lengths.

I am almost tempted to buy another but perhaps that would be an unrequired luxury just for viewing purposes.

There is, as others have mentioned, a problem with the breech lock-up which is not a solid as that on the 45. So far, it seems not to have caused any difficulty and I keep my ball-bearing well greased with Abbey LT2 gun grease.

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.