Thread: What to do with a FWB Sport 124

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What to do with a FWB Sport 124

Ever since I got my 300, I have been an admirer of the sheer quality of FWB, and after I had shot Gary's V-Mached 124 at a Boinger Bash I knew I had to have one. The 124 is not too common, and it has taken me all summer to find one, so I really had to buy the first one I saw advertised. Getting it home, I took stock of what I have got - an early mark 1 with no sights, but a very nicely re-blued barrel and cylinder, a pleasant trigger fitted with a metal blade and a decentish stock which does need a bit of work to remove a few annoying marks, and will probably have to be refinished. The bad news was that it was only producing 9.4 ft lbs, and the firing cycle felt and sounded like a toy train crash, so my initial hopes of not having to dismantle it were scuppered from the start. Inside I found a spring of unknown origin, with only about an inch of preload (a bit of a shock, as I had prepared for about 4 inches) and what I believe to be a Maccari seal fitted to a piston which has rather been through the wars - it has marks which suggest it has been gripped in a vice a few times in its life. Fortunately the marks all seem to be inwards, and have not made any visible scratches on the inside of the cylinder. A simple polish will leave the piston quite usable.

So what should I do now? Plan A was to restore it to original spec with an original spring and seal, which I thought with its long preload should give a nice soft firing cycle, but I have since been advised, on the very best authority, that the 124 had a reputation as a scope wrecker, which implies an unpleasantly heavy recoil. Plan B is a V-Mach kit, which I know to make a very pleasant gun, but is a long way from the original. But are there other things I could do, or other tuning kits I could use which would let me enjoy the gun without losing the spirit of the original? I am not looking for ultimate performance, I would just like to get pleasure from a fine old lightweight sporting rifle.

Advice from experienced FWB users would be greatly appreciated.

Ive never known a 'Sport in reasonable tune (NOT fitted with a dustbin killer spring ) wreck a scope. The Maccarri Old School mainspring was a lot shorter than the original but it did the job well.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Hi,
    If you can get an original spring I’d fit it with a replacement seal from John Knibbs.
    I recently bought a 124 in very good condition. I fitted a new seal and kept the original (4’’ of preload) spring, and now it does 11.7ftlbs and is extremely accurate.

FWB designed these with a long, weak spring for good power with a very easy cocking effort. They shoot really well and I’m of the opinion they should be shot as they were originally designed to be shot, and not tuned with after market kits. (My modern springers are tuned though)

But that’s just me!

Enjoy,

Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Hi,
    If you can get an original spring I’d fit it with a replacement seal from John Knibbs.
    I recently bought a 124 in very good condition. I fitted a new seal and kept the original (4’’ of preload) spring, and now it does 11.7ftlbs and is extremely accurate.

FWB designed these with a long, weak spring for good power with a very easy cocking effort. They shoot really well and I’m of the opinion they should be shot as they were originally designed to be shot, and not tuned with after market kits. (My modern springers are tuned though)

But that’s just me!

Enjoy,

Matt.
    Chambers list an "original" spring and seal - I presume this means they comply with the original spec?

I like the idea of the original spec, and am glad to hear assurances that it is not likely to be excessively harsh

Quote Originally Posted by Vernal View Post
    Chambers list an "original" spring and seal - I presume this means they comply with the original spec?

I like the idea of the original spec, and am glad to hear assurances that it is not likely to be excessively harsh
    It definitely recoils, but nicely. once I’d put a hundred pellets through it settled down to a nice ‘crack’:

https://instagram.com/p/Bjz-RPgn3p0/

It’s crazy accurate, I won our clubs Classic pre-1986 HFT comp with it with open sights.

I found it quite tricky to find a sweet spot with the trigger.
    After a lot of adjusting I settled for a quasi-2 stage where the trigger pull ‘thickened’ just prior to let off.
    It’s predictable and works for me.

Cheers,
    Matt.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    One thing with old Sports is the trigger sear spring, the one that goes between the sear and the safety. This can become bent and cause an unreliable trigger. Make sure you replace it when you strip the rifle, and if you are a perfectionist, machine up a tiny teeny little guide for it so it doesn't bend.

Quote Originally Posted by Vernal View Post
    Ever since I got my 300, I have been an admirer of the sheer quality of FWB, and after I had shot Gary's V-Mached 124 at a Boinger Bash I knew I had to have one. The 124 is not too common, and it has taken me all summer to find one, so I really had to buy the first one I saw advertised. Getting it home, I took stock of what I have got - an early mark 1 with no sights, but a very nicely re-blued barrel and cylinder, a pleasant trigger fitted with a metal blade and a decentish stock which does need a bit of work to remove a few annoying marks, and will probably have to be refinished. The bad news was that it was only producing 9.4 ft lbs, and the firing cycle felt and sounded like a toy train crash, so my initial hopes of not having to dismantle it were scuppered from the start. Inside I found a spring of unknown origin, with only about an inch of preload (a bit of a shock, as I had prepared for about 4 inches) and what I believe to be a Maccari seal fitted to a piston which has rather been through the wars - it has marks which suggest it has been gripped in a vice a few times in its life. Fortunately the marks all seem to be inwards, and have not made any visible scratches on the inside of the cylinder. A simple polish will leave the piston quite usable.

So what should I do now? Plan A was to restore it to original spec with an original spring and seal, which I thought with its long preload should give a nice soft firing cycle, but I have since been advised, on the very best authority, that the 124 had a reputation as a scope wrecker, which implies an unpleasantly heavy recoil. Plan B is a V-Mach kit, which I know to make a very pleasant gun, but is a long way from the original. But are there other things I could do, or other tuning kits I could use which would let me enjoy the gun without losing the spirit of the original? I am not looking for ultimate performance, I would just like to get pleasure from a fine old lightweight sporting rifle.

Advice from experienced FWB users would be greatly appreciated.
    Hi Michael,

If you like how the V-Mach kit shoots in the 124 why not go down that avenue? I can't notice any real difference in cocking effort and I think the cycle is greatly improved. Also, I would feel fairly confident of stripping it down and rebuilding it without a compressor if needed, which I wouldn't have a chance with the original spring.

The trigger on yours is as good as any Sport I can remember, I wish mine was as nice. Jon Budd posted a thread showing how to improve the trigger but as I have just basic tools I don't want to risk damaging my Maccari as it cost me nearly £100 with postage and import duty.

As for open sights, if you post a "Wanted" ad you may be able to get hold of a rear one but depending on how detailed you want to be, the .22 rear sight has different numbering on the height adjustment compared to the .177. Your barrel is the less common type (in my experience), which is scalloped to accept the pin to fit the wrap around foresight unlike the more common parallel grooved type. You might have to wait a while to get the correct one.

Are you going to refinish the stock yourself? If not, I can recommend Nath92, he's a member here but spends most of his time on the AGF where he is currently offering stock refurb's for £65 and has one slot available.

Whichever route you go down I hope you bring it to the Bash when you finish it and let me have a look.

All the best,
    Gary.

Rather than replacing the iron/plastic sights why not go down the slimline moderator and blanking plate route.
    Maccari does a neet little blanking plate for the rear sight holes. Or make one up yourself, flat and neet.
    As for moderators then a slimline is the way to go. The Venom slimline look is what is best rather than large Coke can.

Just shot my 127 factory perfect and my HW95 .177 Vmatch tuned. First shot the 4x40 scoped Sport was smack on, the 95 wasn't. I've got a bad back so not shooting well but the old Sport did what asked.
    Just shot my 124 with a 3-9x45 Optima Moonlighter, Macarri self fitted innards, its a MKI action with banana barrel and MKIII stock, how it got like that I have no idea now. Anyhow it shoots just fine. My other regular shooter is a Theoben Fenman with 3-9x40 Tasco, its heavier but both shoot the same...hit what aimed at within the farmyard.

Looks like Maccari has been busy. New safety catches! Sure nothing cheap but then just like Land Rover lovers its the fun of keeping old friends chugging away.
    http://www.airrifleheadquarters.com/...age/251483.htm

One thing we have really missed on the this thread is how easy a Sport is to cock. For a plinking good fun shoots then break barrel, easy cock, quick safety catch, and light weight, nothing beats them. Get away from the bench and shoot a sporting rifle how they should be. I've just had a blast at my apple fall in the garden and that was fun; backs screaming though.
    Last edited by Muskett; 24-09-2018 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    Hi Michael,

If you like how the V-Mach kit shoots in the 124 why not go down that avenue? I can't notice any real difference in cocking effort and I think the cycle is greatly improved. Also, I would feel fairly confident of stripping it down and rebuilding it without a compressor if needed, which I wouldn't have a chance with the original spring.

The trigger on yours is as good as any Sport I can remember, I wish mine was as nice. Jon Budd posted a thread showing how to improve the trigger but as I have just basic tools I don't want to risk damaging my Maccari as it cost me nearly £100 with postage and import duty.

As for open sights, if you post a "Wanted" ad you may be able to get hold of a rear one but depending on how detailed you want to be, the .22 rear sight has different numbering on the height adjustment compared to the .177. Your barrel is the less common type (in my experience), which is scalloped to accept the pin to fit the wrap around foresight unlike the more common parallel grooved type. You might have to wait a while to get the correct one.

Are you going to refinish the stock yourself? If not, I can recommend Nath92, he's a member here but spends most of his time on the AGF where he is currently offering stock refurb's for £65 and has one slot available.

Whichever route you go down I hope you bring it to the Bash when you finish it and let me have a look.

All the best,
    Gary.
    Thanks Gary, but there is an "original" seal and spring being borne towards me on the comforting wings of Royal mail, even as I write. I am going to give them a whirl for a while, they don't cost much and I can change later if I want to. I quite like the idea of a blanking plate and slim mod, and may well go for that in due course. I do a fair bit of woodworking and finishing, so I shall take on the stock myself as I have been quite happy with the CS and the Warren Edwards stocks I bought new and finished myself. Definitely planning to bring the Sport to the Bash.
    Cheers, Michael

Personally - I would bother with any mod, silencer or muzzle weight on the end of the barrel on a 'Sport. One area of weakness (?) is the barrel lock up which isn't as positive as on most break barrels.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk