Agree with jonnyone.

The Original 45 was a good few bob cheaper than the Sport or HW35E. They never had the power issues either other than getting too high and the triggers are a tad better than the Sport though not quite a Rekord.
I like the looks of the 45 just wished it had been offered with a deluxe walnut one, and not that Jubilee edition.
They were a little weight forward that actually helped for standing shots. They were my recommendation at the time for those on a budget.

For period rifles then when comparing to those days it should include the Webley Vulcan Deluxe, and BSA's Airsorter and Mercury S's;even a BSF54 and 70. Maybe the Annie 335. The Webleys and BSA cost a lot lot less without walnut, but with them there was only a fiver in it. £77 to £110 was the price spread between all the main contenders, though £30 was "proper" money in 1980. The Vulcan MKI was half that of anything German. A scope £45 to £75 or so with another tenner or so for a set of one piece mounts. A great combo was £200 smackers with gunslip.

Venom tune was about £25 or 25% of the cost of a factory. A full Venom rifle twise the price.

Over the next ten years everything was tried. Both Webley and BSA struggled due to a lack of innovation and investment. Their biggest failure was not to give a Rekord breaking trigger. Theoben showed the way in innovation and class of product. But by the 90's PCP's were here to stay. Those that put the innovation and investment in generally did well. Sadly not every innovation worked or new idea succeeded as some were too late; Park Rifle Company 1992; or just not crasy good Sterling.

A lot happened in the 1980's. A lot was learnt. I think Air Arms does springers now from all those 80's lessons. They just sum up it all in a "best" springer rifle. Spring or even Gasram the piston system can only get so far. Or can it????