Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shooting Class Categories

Quote Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
    Great posts Don ....
    Thank you... These are just my thoughts.

It's not me being biased because the current system is more beneficial for me where I'm shooting .22 this season and stand a better chance of winning something (1/4 chance). I have even been lucky enough to beat Jason Locket a few times.

I would just like to see a fairer system in place for everyone of all abilities.

If I was to stick with .22 and a grading system was implemented, I would probably fall in to B Grade and then be competing with more than 3 individuals more like 20+, that said I am planning to go back to .177 through the winter and I would like to think that I would be at a A Grade level even if I didn't stand a chance of winning something.

I would just like to add, I chose to do .22 this season for the experience as I did in recoiling and FT and .22 has definitely been an eye opener.
    Last edited by Don626; 26-09-2018 at 08:57 PM.
    Meon Valley Airgun Club (MVAC)... on tour!

Quote Originally Posted by simmmo View Post
    Firstly Rex I was shooting boingers before you had your nipples pierced I choose not to now because I like to knock targets down. You obviously prefer chipping paint but hey yellow is a great colour.

Equal classes whats equal in recoiling if you want to shoot recoiling shoot STOCK out of the box untouched, not this tune and that tune, how the fluck is that equal, even worse than Open you say the top boys buy top kit in open, well all they get is a reliable gun so when they point and pull they know what course their pellet will venture on. In recoiling you try by spending money and time to get a gun to shoot like a PCP what an absolute load of just buy a PCP a 400 will do cheap as chips and in the right hands capable of beating any Steyr Annie or whatever. Trouble is the top boys have served an apprenticship over many years in a hobby they are passionate about so they have spent their cash on their hobby bought stuff not necessarily better but what they like. Its not the gun its the man who knows how to use his scope and read the wind who wins. I personally would advocate like .20 PCP that tuned recoiling shoot in the Open class with only Stock factory guns shooting in recoiling. Oh thats that class gone then. Would defo keep the .22 class as that is proper hard. Its shooting so it shouldn't be gender or age specific drop all those classes lets all go Open with only one prize for the top score on the day. Plus .22 PCP and recoiling. Rex toodle off and buy a .22.

Monkey.

Ah now i see , so what you're saying is that all you "Top Boys" only spend 2 to 3 grand on a rifle + another grand on a scope to look good , especially if an AA S400 is just as good? on that score your uncle is capable of being your aunty if he has enough money ...... anyway we digress
    HW100 Hunting tool, HW97 Reaper Titanium Piston (The reaper of pcp souls) Sponsored by Greggs
    Grizzly Catapult Team , Ireland/Buxted HFT

Cheap as..

I think you will find your uncle can become your aunty on the NHS nowadays so money doesn't come into it....oh no, do we need a trans class
    ..."My son," said the Norman Baron...."The Saxon is not like us Normans. His manners are not so polite. But he never means anything serious till he talks about justice and right"...

Buxted County HFT Republic of Crowzilla Sussex
    Ah now i see , so what you're saying is that all you "Top Boys" only spend 2 to 3 grand on a rifle + another grand on a scope to look good , especially if an AA S400 is just as good? on that score your uncle is capable of being your aunty if he has enough money ...... anyway we digress
    I think you will find since I bought the expensive stuff I have won fluck all worth talking about. Smashed the UKBR22 with my 400 bought a Steyr went from hero to zero. Shot a MK3 for years in HFT with a cheap Burris on top smashed it up for a few years. Bought some stuff I like Nada fluck all. Get your Stock springer out and come play if you want to shoot real recoiling or jogg on.

Monkey.
    Buxted HFT Garage Guns are Us. Home of Crowzilla Doppers doughnut corner and SiHFT winners 2007 2008 2009 2010 2017 2018 2019.

hahahahahah

Quote Originally Posted by simmmo View Post
    I think you will find since I bought the expensive stuff I have won fluck all worth talking about. Smashed the UKBR22 with my 400 bought a Steyr went from hero to zero. Shot a MK3 for years in HFT with a cheap Burris on top smashed it up for a few years. Bought some stuff I like Nada fluck all. Get your Stock springer out and come play if you want to shoot real recoiling or jogg on.

Monkey.
    I'll tell you what you start shooting a stock s400 with a hawke hd 3-9x50 on it , and i'll shoot a stock boinger no i didn't think so .

And we both know i can barely walk let alone jog but i am fully prepared to watch you jog up and down the road in ya Asics and running shorts .

again WE ARE NOT WORTHY .... WE ARE NOT WORTHY
    HW100 Hunting tool, HW97 Reaper Titanium Piston (The reaper of pcp souls) Sponsored by Greggs

I'll tell you what you start shooting a stock s400 with a hawke hd 3-9x50 on it , and i'll shoot a stock boinger no i didn't think so .

And we both know i can barely walk let alone jog but i am fully prepared to watch you jog up and down the road in ya Asics and running shorts .

again WE ARE NOT WORTHY .... WE ARE NOT WORTHY
    No you are right I wouldn't shoot that stupid scope configuration. I would shoot the 400 think you will find I did for years and quite successfully in a standard stock but with a 32mm objective on 7 mag that works for HFT. What is an MPR or HFT 500 but an upgraded by the maker 400 in an adjustable stock.

Dopper kicks all our arses his scope costs peanuts. Its not the gear its an idea. An idea that works. Just set your gun whatever gun up to play the game.

On your marks set go.

Monkey.
    Buxted HFT Garage Guns are Us. Home of Crowzilla Doppers doughnut corner and SiHFT winners 2007 2008 2009 2010 2017 2018 2019.

Maybe 10 years ago you could get away with shooting a S400 with a basic scope, but that was when we had 40mm kills and 15mm out to 20. Now that we have 25's at 40 and kneelers out to 40 yards, you need higher end kit to compete with the likes of James and Vanty. I don't remember the last time someone won a national with a entry level rifle.

The springer class should be encouraged, this is where people can get into the sport for not a lot of money and compete and win. My set up is a TX200hc, a £50 spring and guide set, then a bit of 2x1 for a hamster and a £10 home made cheek riser.

I've done my time in Open class, I've got my England Team jackets and my top 5 trophies, Springing for me, is not about the pots, it's about having fun and taking on the big boys with their PCP's, but, for those coming into the sport, they have more chance of beating me, then they do of beating the like of James, because the kit is more attainable.

In my opinion, we need more people shooting .22 and springer as the open class is out of some peoples reach.
    HFT Team England 2012 - 2013
    Incompetent writer for Airgunner
    UKAHFT, World and SiHFT Recoiling champ 2017

Quote Originally Posted by scutter View Post
    Maybe 10 years ago you could get away with shooting a S400 with a basic scope, but that was when we had 40mm kills and 15mm out to 20. Now that we have 25's at 40 and kneelers out to 40 yards, you need higher end kit to compete with the likes of James and Vanty. I don't remember the last time someone won a national with a entry level rifle.

The springer class should be encouraged, this is where people can get into the sport for not a lot of money and compete and win. My set up is a TX200hc, a £50 spring and guide set, then a bit of 2x1 for a hamster and a £10 home made cheek riser.

I've done my time in Open class, I've got my England Team jackets and my top 5 trophies, Springing for me, is not about the pots, it's about having fun and taking on the big boys with their PCP's, but, for those coming into the sport, they have more chance of beating me, then they do of beating the like of James, because the kit is more attainable.

In my opinion, we need more people shooting .22 and springer as the open class is out of some peoples reach.
    Define the red bit for me please you need higher end kit to compete forget glass as that is personal and Dop proves time after time that knowing your scope regardless of price is key.

Pretty sure their is an MPR out there that has cleared 16 UKAHFT courses in the hands of a certain top shot. So a slightly uprated 400 hardly a super gun.

I will concede you need a good stock set up and a bog standard S400 probably isn't ideal. A cheap plastic hamster and a shotgun add on cheek piece will get it somewhere close though.

As for a S400 action in the right hands with a good barrel and a pellet it likes is as accurate as anything out there. In the sweet spot mine was better over the chrono than any of my regged guns have been and was certainly more accurate off the bench than my Steyr super gun with Barley Twist barrel I bought to retire it. Flogged the Steyr kept the 400.

Neil has done pretty well over the last few years in the Nationals Clearing Buxted a couple of years back and high in the league table at the momment. How much is his kit a HFT 500 and a Rhino scope? So basically an uprated to side lever 400 with a different barrel and a very small jam jar for a scope with a waste pipe add on. It goes to prove in my mind Its a man with an idea not the gear you need to fear. He puts in a lot of work and reaps the rewards.

Also this game is still young and a lot of people doing it now were doing it in the early days so they have changed their kit and few will buy something cheaper as an upgrade for a hobby they are passionate about so we have gone from 400s to MK3 Daystates, Walthers, EV2s, FTPs, to Steyrs and Annies. The later ones are target guns with mainly fully adjustable target stocks so people can get them to fit their style of shooting and with that comes confidence which transposes into better shooter accuracy not the shooters actual kits accuracy. I am sure if you got the right pellet for most of them with a good barrel and strapped them to a bench there wouldn't be much difference in their accuracy if tested on paper.

Pretty sure we have been shooting 35mm at my club for well over 10yrs and think I have one 40mm target in my shed that I use once in a blue moon. Also can't ever remember 25mm being limited to 20yds as long as I have been setting courses over12years and before that just shooting for say 2 years so 14years they have always been 25yds in the rules I have shot those being UKAHFT for the last 13 years. Can remember 15mms at 8yds though.

Don't get me started on 25mm at 40yds lottery shots. How many club shooters on a still day can hold a 1" group at 40yds? Never mind hold an inside edge.

Monkey

Hmmm

so if so many of these top shots that are in it for the silverware , that could do it with an "uprated" 400 and bog standard scope , then why don't we see them shooting such set ups if just as good ?..... why then is most of the kit we see in open class worth in excess of £3500.

AGAIN we are digressing and for once i agree with Lord Chillingworth, to get grass roots people involved you need to attract people in at that ....be it springing , .22 , pcp....... people will then make their own mind up which way they want to go . It's not the way to do it by mocking anyone who doesn't shoot pcp as every thing else is "inferior or substandard"

Either £500 quid tops for a full set up with a boinger inc bag pellets scope etc etc .... or do we try and entice people in by saying right your looking at £2500-3000 for a 2nd hand steyr or ISP with a decent scope bag pellets etc etc .

And of course sir if you want to shoot springer for what ever reason it may be , you could get yourself right up in the placings to lose out to someone shooting a pcp