Thread: Webley Junior

Webley Junior

Hi I have spotted a Webley Junior in an auction serial no 1662 it’s in its box and has Birmingham 4 on it ,any ideas as to its value would be appreciated before I consider bidding on it .Many thanks

marjon, I am not a Webley expert, but I do get a lot of these through my hands. It depends what model it is, the early tinplate grip ones are more collectable. Then you get the second type with plastic grips that can have some "plum" coloured fittings. The last model has a larger diameter chamber casting at the grip end made from zinc alloy which are usually cheaper. The whole group can range from £70 to £200 depending on type and condition. Below is one I repaired yesterday, think the guy paid £170 for it. The guys on collectables would have more knowledge.

Baz

https://i.imgur.com/JM3FyDT.jpg
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    marjon, I am not a Webley expert, but I do get a lot of these through my hands. It depends what model it is, the early tinplate grip ones are more collectable. Then you get the second type with plastic grips that can have some "plum" coloured fittings. The last model has a larger diameter chamber casting at the grip end made from zinc alloy which are usually cheaper. The whole group can range from £70 to £200 depending on type and condition. Below is one I repaired yesterday, think the guy paid £170 for it. The guys on collectables would have more knowledge.

Baz

https://i.imgur.com/JM3FyDT.jpg
    I bought a good condition one earlier this year and I think I paid £70 for it. With a bit of lubrication and soaking the piston seal in oil it performs nicely at 10 m. You are no doubt aware that they do not come with a rifled barrel? I wasn't but it is still a nice pistol to use.
    hth
    Jim

Webley junior

Thanks for your replies have left a bid on it at lower end of guide price ,will find out tomorrow if I was successful.

That’s a post-war pre-1958 Junior. It has a batch number, not a serial, making it post-WW2, and the Brum 4 means pre-58, when the factory moved to a different post code.

The one Baz posted a pic of is pre-war (including having an actual serial number prefaced by a J). Hence why the buyer may have spent a lot on it. Though I personally think £170 for a Junior is a bit much.

I don’t much like Juniors, but £60-80 all in for a decent boxed post-war one doesn’t sound unreasonable these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
    I bought a good condition one earlier this year and I think I paid £70 for it. With a bit of lubrication and soaking the piston seal in oil it performs nicely at 10 m. You are no doubt aware that they do not come with a rifled barrel? I wasn't but it is still a nice pistol to use.
    hth
    Jim

Juniors can be found with rifled barrels I have several that do..

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Juniors can be found with rifled barrels I have several that do..
    You learn something every day, thanks for that, now I am going to have to try and get one!
    All best
    Jim

Webley junior

Update,The pistol,with another bb pistol went for £90,I didn’t get it.Thanks for all reply’s JIM

You learn something every day, thanks for that, now I am going to have to try and get one!
    All best
    Jim

In time you will find a rifled one or more if you are patient.They are not common,but of the seven or eight Juniors I have two early post war MK1's have rifled barrels and the only MK2 I have also has a rifled barrel.

I don't know if the wood or tin grip Junior's were ever available with rifled barrels.

Some look down on Juniors in favour of the larger Webley over lever air pistols,but for me the Junior is the nicest of them all to plink with.I love its compact handy size,low cocking effort and punchy power to weight ratio.They are also very well made and finished the 'plum' brown trigger guard and grip frame model MK1's being my favourite.

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/wp-c...nior-right.jpg

Though I have a MK2 they are of relatively poor construction by comparison,but shoot well.

ATB.

to late to help the OP but i bought a boxed post war pre 1958 smoothbored one in as new condition for £150 last year.i have 3 smoothbored junoirs in my collection and am always impressed by their accuracy at 10m,cheers greasemonkey
    more guns than you can shake a stick at!

Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    to late to help the OP but i bought a boxed post war pre 1958 smoothbored one in as new condition for £150 last year.i have 3 smoothbored junoirs in my collection and am always impressed by their accuracy at 10m,cheers greasemonkey
    Which pellets do you find best in your smoothbore Juniors? I am using Geco wadcutters which are ok but always keen to try alternatives.
    Jim

Which pellets do you find best in your smoothbore Juniors? I am using Geco wadcutters which are ok but always keen to try alternatives.
    Jim
    hi Jim,i use air arms diablo match,these are my go-to pellets for shooting at targets with all my guns..
    more guns than you can shake a stick at!

Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    hi Jim,i use air arms diablo match,these are my go-to pellets for shooting at targets with all my guns..
    I'll give those a try then,
    atb
    Jim