Thread: BSA Underlever valuation please

BSA Underlever valuation please

We have a club member who is retiring from shooting due to failing health. Among his collection of rifles is a BSA underlever, I put a thread up on the general section a day or two ago, and am opening this one with more specific information.

The serial number is S20994 which dates it from July 1908 to January 1909, and allegedly it's one of the first type with the long cylinder.

It's stamped No 2 calibre by the loading tap.

He's asked the club to take charge of disposing of his collection and so I'm hoping the gurus on here will be able to indicate some idea of the value. It all seems to be there; it's not in showroom condition but it's not red with rust. There's no bluing, just an aged based patina.

A previous owner has done some delicate carving in one side of the butt, to depict an animal's head. It's very fine and almost like a trace left by a woodworm.

Any help much appreciated.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Without pictures it is hard to say. For a rough estimate, in the condition you have described, I would say between £110 and £150.

Im sure the S prefix serial numbers were started in 1913/14. So I think this one might be 1914+. Although not 100% sure. (just checked John knibbs book, S prefix starts 1913)

I have serial number 10110 which is from 1906 and the first batch of improved models that were not marked as such. It has no bluing, just nice a patina left. Wood is in excellent shape though. I paid £150 for it at auction. Is it a pistol grip? (Straight grips are tiny bit rarer).

The carving can put some people off I suppose. Depends on how it looks.

Best bet is to post pictures (if you can)

I see that it has a front sight protector. Cant really make it out well from images, would be worth getting a close up of it. The second variant of the BSA front sight protectors are worth over £100 on their own (I have two). If it was the first variant, it would be more. As for the rifle, it looks pretty standard. A bit of speckling, so Im gonna stick to my first estimate (£110 to £150). Nice rifles, lots of them were made and the S prefix are the more common ones from what I have seen. Great shooter though, built to last.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Huttles94 View Post
    I see that it has a front sight protector. Cant really make it out well from images, would be worth getting a close up of it. The second variant of the BSA front sight protectors are worth over £100 on their own (I have two). If it was the first variant, it would be more. As for the rifle, it looks pretty standard. A bit of speckling, so Im gonna stick to my first estimate (£110 to £150). Nice rifles, lots of them were made and the S prefix are the more common ones from what I have seen. Great shooter though, built to last.
    Hi l would agree with the above post on the value of the front cover if it is an original front sight cover. but l would go with least £140 for the rifle it's self with the stock art work . just my take on it.