Thread: Suggestions please for 6.5 Creedmoor powder / data

Suggestions please for 6.5 Creedmoor powder / data

Looking for a bit of advice on loading for my 6.5 Creedmoor please. It’s a 24” barrel tikka T3x tac a1. It’s got 120 rounds down the barrel now and I’ve been using factory 140g Hornady elds which are doing ok, but I definitely feel I can do better.
    I’m not chasing ultimate performance but as my .223 will five shot group .5” or less consistently with hanloads (rs40) I’d like to get in the same kinda result with the creedmoor.
    I’ll either use 140g Sierra or the Elds.
    RS62 powder has been suggested as a good bet and internet research tells me to stay away from fast burning powder such as RS60 etc as fast burning powders can reduce barrel life quite considerably!
    If anyone has any suggestions that’d be handy before I purchase the kit.
    Thanks very much

I had trouble getting good loads for mine recently. I have recently got good results with RS62 and lapua 139 Scenars.

Reload swiss has data for RS62 but it is under ‘customer data’ on their site.

I also achieve good results in my 260 with RS62 and Lapua 139gr Scenars.
    RS60 is an excellent powder with lighter bullets such as 95gr V-Max as long as you don't go chasing max velocities.
    To destroy a people, you must first sever their roots. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

N160 works well for me, a couple of hundred feet per second than the RS60, better groups and cheap as I buy by the 3.5kg

The speed of RS60 isn't the issue, it's high energy, not quite but basically double based.
    Thanks for looking

Thanks for the feedback guys. I’ve got some RS62 on order along with a set of redding dies that I’ll pick up at the W/end - have to see how I get on

RS62 is a great powder for the 6.5 Creedmoor.
    My best load data is: (this gives 10mm groups at 100)

42g RS62
    Lapua Brass with Small primer pocket
    CCi SR Benchrest primers
    140gr Barnes Match Burners
    COAL 2.72
    2730 fps

My Rifle is a Tikka T3 Tac A1 with Moderator.
    BSA Mercury .22, Steyr SSG69, Enfield No4 Mk1*, Schmeisser AR15 Ultramatch, 1938 Mauser KKW K98 Trainer.

Thank you for that data. I picked up the powder, dies etc this w/end. I’m going to try 139g Lapua Scenar bullets. I’ll be loading up this week using .2 increments from 41-43g hopefully to find a node that I can work from. I’ll start with the Hornady brass that I have using large primmers. I have to ask: what is the advantage in using smaller primers for this caliber?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
    Thank you for that data. I picked up the powder, dies etc this w/end. I’m going to try 139g Lapua Scenar bullets. I’ll be loading up this week using .2 increments from 41-43g hopefully to find a node that I can work from. I’ll start with the Hornady brass that I have using large primmers. I have to ask: what is the advantage in using smaller primers for this caliber?
    Personally I'd go for .5 gr to start off with, that's what I always do in anything bigger than .223, or you'll be spending forever testing. Once you find the best charge weight you can then try .2 either side to see if it improves things.

Small primer pockets and flash holes make for stronger brass, most reports on the hornady brass have the primer pockets stretching and failing after a few firings. I have .243 fed brass formed into creed with large primer pockets and they are getting loose after 4 firings, this will be the last loading before they're binned.

Have a couple of hundred sako once fired, will be interesting to see how many firings they last.
    Thanks for looking