Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Year that the Original/Diana 45 Was Released?!!!

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

The Year that the Original/Diana 45 Was Released?!!!

Settle a controversy please.

I remember the Original 45 being released some time in 1981/82. Rod Lynton tested it in AGW and the adverts claimed it could group 2" at 50 yards. It was the first 'magnum' airgun, one that could go 15 fpe and more owing to its swept volume. The British market ones had weak springs.

I remember Big Seth with one at the 1982 Bisley FT shoot.

Yet it has been claimed that it was released in 1978, this may be down to B.B. Pelletier's blog, which often contains inaccuracies.

BTDT should know.

Hi Alistaire.

From here :-

image.jpg

Comes this :-

image.jpg

My only other way of confirming this is to dig through 40 years of Airgunworld magazines.

All the best Mick

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Hi Alistaire.

From here :-

image.jpg

Comes this :-

image.jpg

My only other way of confirming this is to dig through 40 years of Airgunworld magazines.

All the best Mick

Hmmm. Original/Diana stamp the month and year of manufacture on their rifles so it can't be THAT difficult to get to the bottom of this. The .20 Original 45 was tested in AGW May 1982, so I think the release of the standard calibres was maybe late 1980, or early 1981. Where's Danny? (Garvin). He knows alot about Dianas.

Geoff boxalls test was August 1980, Terry Wheelers was dated 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBuzz View Post
    Geoff boxalls test was August 1980, Terry Wheelers was dated 1979.
    It seems more and more likely that the 1978 idea is correct, if the rifle was initially sold in Germany ...

I note one test is in Airgun World 1980 Special, not in the previous one. Exactly when on the shelves is another matter. There may well be some lag time for UK distribution.
    The first batches had not the best finish towards the butt pad. I still have in my head that there was a trigger tweek right at the beginning. For the UK market the power was lowered. The power plant was designed for 14 or 16ft/lbs or something like that. It is the rifle that forced Weihrauch to design the HW80 and later 77.

Other than the Jubilee was there any done with Walnut stocks. What configuration did the USA get / Beeman??

Yep, I remember the Boxall review because it was in the very first Airgun World I ever bought.

I can’t swear that I’m 100% on Mr Wheeler’s 45 but I remember the date on Terry’s 45 being much earlier than I thought possible, as I thought that they were introduced in 1980. Terry’s may well have been ‘78.

And just like the 80 they all came in hot.

I haven't checked all of mine but I have one dated 10 80. But clearly the Jubilee guns were made through 1980 in celebration of 90 years of gun making tradition so I guess I could have some earlier than this.
    I think Walter had it as per above. I can't see.him falling down on a date.like that....
    Dave

Geoff Boxall said in the August '80 issue of AGW that the Original 45 had been around for nine months, which would have made it late '79 and the Diana version would have come out first, I guess. So '78 or '79 sound plausible. I trust John Walter on this.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Release date.

1978 got two dated such. Slightly diff safety push ,nicer wood usually. Will look for month on mine tomoz out of interest.

Like I said on the thread that I think inspired this. 1978.

Did I say 1978?

It may have taken a bit longer to hit U.K. dealer’s shelves and get featured in AGW adverts.

Anyway, 1978.

Quote Originally Posted by original45 View Post
    1978 got two dated such. Slightly diff safety push ,nicer wood usually. Will look for month on mine tomoz out of interest.
    The early safety is unsafe. That’s why it was changed, circa 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

Like I said on the thread that I think inspired this. 1978.

Did I say 1978?

It may have taken a bit longer to hit U.K. dealer’s shelves and get featured in AGW adverts.

Anyway, 1978.
    That you claiming the malt then?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    That you claiming the malt then?
    Damn it all. Somebody pay up n crack open a bottle