Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aberystwyth ?

Aberystwyth ?

Is there a gun club/ shooting ground near Aberystwyth ? Need somewhere to take the lad for some practice , setting up etc .

As well as a range you could do with a couple of good gunshops up there, give me something have a look at when up in Aberaeron on holiday.

secretagentmole Guest
    Got a Corgi from Tregaron....

Shooting ground

When dad had a caravan at Synod inn I used to take my lad to a small shoot near Llanarth (from memory) just on the road out of Newquay somewhere. I couldn't even drive there now as it was a good time ago. But same guy had some carp fishing ponds on same ground. Think his name was Nigel.
    Other than that I don't know much of the area and bearing in mind this was over a decade ago it may have all packed up by now.
    Hope you succeed in getting a place to shoot up there. Lovely countryside there👍.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by p.j. View Post
    As well as a range you could do with a couple of good gunshops up there, give me something have a look at when up in Aberaeron on holiday.
    Sportsguns are in Cardigan, only 1/2 hour away from Aberaeron.

https://www.sportsguns.co.uk/

Always pop in there but only managed to buy one gun there. In reality its 90% surf wear, there is very little to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by p.j. View Post
    Always pop in there but only managed to buy one gun there. In reality its 90% surf wear, there is very little to look at.
    They store most of their guns in the cellar , you have to ask them if you want to look at anything .

Ah, they never told me the good stuff was in the cellar

rgc_swanseaARC is offline He's not the Stig,,,He's the Stig's Welsh cousin
    Aeron sports in Aberaeron have/had a decent selection of pellets.
    Gun shop in Cardigan is OK.
    One in Lampeter has huge stock of kit usually
    Theoben TTR1 .177, Steven B Blue/Grey Laminate Stock, Nutshot Mod, Hawke Sidewinder 10x42 Tac IR
    Daystate Pulsar. 177, Donny FL Sumo Mod, Pard NV008LRF

Lampeter gunshop is all but closed due to the untimely passing of Lloyd - the owner.

rgc_swanseaARC is offline He's not the Stig,,,He's the Stig's Welsh cousin
    That's sad... I wasnt aware.
    Haven't been there for a good while
    Theoben TTR1 .177, Steven B Blue/Grey Laminate Stock, Nutshot Mod, Hawke Sidewinder 10x42 Tac IR
    Daystate Pulsar. 177, Donny FL Sumo Mod, Pard NV008LRF

I was told there's a gun club / range near devils bridge , but I can't find any info about it .

Quote Originally Posted by aeron View Post
    I was told there's a gun club / range near devils bridge , but I can't find any info about it .
    Devil's Bridge??? I lived in Ponterwyd for a couple of years around 1970 and all there was at Devil's Bridge was a hotel and a sort of gift shop/ice cream stand.
    Ah, memories.
    Cheers, Phil

Mmmm...never had much luck driving north along the coast road to visit the shop in Aberaeron, or further to Aberystwyth for a classic motorcycle engineering firm - could be a long slow potentially dangerous journey. If it isn't for Dai and Lil in their worn out brown lumpy Allegro due to so much fibreglass filling, can't even see their heads, wandering all over the road at 20 mph with no chance to pass due to so many bends. On the straights on coming traffic prevents over-taking. Then there is the clapped out school bus belching out smoke, can hardly move, stops frequently in the most dangerous of places. Then, there is a ancient local haulage lorry, lop-sided carrying immensely over-loaded cargo, again oblivious to other road users, flickering one brake light and no turn lights working. Look out for the farmer in a beaten up rusty white Toyota pick-up, it might have come from one of the Middle East war zones. Usually a barking mad black and white collie on the open back going berserk. Keep a good distance behind as it is totally un-predictable what might happen as the driving is so erratic. Sorry, but even if the shop in Aberaeron has a good selection of pellets, it is not worth the risk.....
    Last edited by SRV1; 27-09-2018 at 10:42 AM. Reason: spelling

Mmmm...never had much luck driving north along the coast road to visit the shop in Aberaeron, or further to Aberystwyth for a classic motorcycle engineering firm - could be a long slow potentially dangerous journey. If it isn't for Dai and Lil in their worn out brown lumpy Allegro due to so much fibreglass filling, can't even see their heads, wandering all over the road at 20 mph with no chance to pass due to so many bends. On the straights on coming traffic prevents over-taking. Then there is the clapped out school bus belching out smoke, can hardly move, stops frequently in the most dangerous of places. Then, there is a ancient local haulage lorry, lop-sided carrying immensely over-loaded cargo, again oblivious to other road users, flickering one brake light and no turn lights working. Look out for the farmer in a beaten up rusty white Toyota pick-up, it might have come from one of the Middle East war zones. Usually a barking mad black and white collie on the open back going berserk. Keep a good distance behind as it is totally un-predictable what might happen as the driving is so erratic. Sorry, but even if the shop in Aberaeron has a good selection of pellets, it is not worth the risk.....