Thread: Another Crosman bites the dust

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Another Crosman bites the dust

Tonight I added the final piece to a project I've been working on -on and off (mostly off) - for a couple of years. I find it's best to string out the process of customising a Crosman; that way you don't realise what a heinous amount of time and money you have spent on it...

That said, this is my 2250 Bell Target rifle, cosmetically complete apart from some trivial sealing issues - one more strip down and she'll be fully functional:

https://imgur.com/gallery/Sc7eIgF

List of mods and parts as far as I can remember:
    Alliance Hobby 18" .177 barrel
    Gmac .177 breech with hollow probe, stock adaptor
    Crosmods trigger group and ergonomic grip
    Tippman 98 'M249 SAW' stock (anything apart from the AR-looking ones are like hens teeth now, this one took ages to find)
    HW30S fibreoptic foresight (I'm particularly pleased with the dovetail I filed into the mod adaptor)
    UK Neil moderator
    Air Arms diopter sight (though I'm on the lookout for a better one)
    Home made Stopped Spring Guide
    Home made Hamster (two Union cylinder lock screws and a piece of steel bar brazed together)
    Valve and transfer port are stock, I didn't need more power given intended use.

I wanted something like a semi-serious, minimalist target rifle, and a bit different to most of the other 22XX builds out there. If I can actually find some Bell Target in my area (though I've been told it may be easier to start my own club...) then I'd love to give it a go with this.

The last part for the last Crosman should be here within a week or two, which means that for the first time in about 8 years I won't have some kind of Crosman work-in-progress. If I had half an ounce of common sense I'd sell all the spares I've accumulated before I have an idea for another one...
    Good deals with these members

Very nice, sir; well done.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham

Very nice bit of modding, that. Nice to see a very different 2250 from the "usual"

Thanks chaps, it took a while but I'm very pleased with it.

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Thanks chaps, it took a while but I'm very pleased with it.
    And so you should be!!! fantastic,best mod I've seen for one of these.

Awesome bud,

I'm treating mine like a buy every month build. Where did that square guarded grip frame come from? Have you put it on paper yet? What Barrel to?

David.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by david1123 View Post
    Awesome bud,

I'm treating mine like a buy every month build. Where did that square guarded grip frame come from? Have you put it on paper yet? What Barrel to?

David.
    Alliance Hobby 18" .177 barrel
    Crosmods trigger group and ergonomic grip
    as above... Looks interesting.

I've just done mine rather cheaper, and based more around fixing things I hated for a fun plinker, rather than a full monty transformation like yours.

- magpull type adjustable length stock from as the original is way too long for me, never mind the kids - £15 (diy adapter 30 mins)
    - bit of weaver rail and a e6ay grip pod for the forend (free and £2.50)
    - thru the hammer SSG, to stop the piston bounce, massively reducing noise and CO2 usage - 10p for a bolt, plus 1/2 an hour of my time
    - 1/2" UNF adapter and ripley silencer, making it very quiet indeed (coupled with the above) - 45 mins and £25
    - barrel recrown - might need to revisit as I think it should be a little better

the base gun cost me £20, plus £20 for a new valve to convert it from AS to regular CO2 carts (it was leaking and the AS just has too many seals to be bothered with, plus it massively limited my stock options)

All I really need now is a new trigger spring as it's stupid heavy for such a light gun. It looks a bit walty, but it's light, quiet, cheap and fairly accurate, so meets it's design brief
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Awesome bud,

David.
    As above it's an Alliance Hobby barrel and Crosmods trigger - the Crosmods trigger is great but in all honesty don't try and buy one, for the sake of your own sanity; the guy is a nightmare to deal with (if he's even still trading).

Not put it on paper yet as there is a leaky valve seal, so I need to strip the whole thing down one more time. I believe the valve is from my first 2250 so it's about 10+ years old and has seen a lot of use.

As above it's an Alliance Hobby barrel and Crosmods trigger - the Crosmods trigger is great but in all honesty don't try and buy one, for the sake of your own sanity; the guy is a nightmare to deal with (if he's even still trading).

Not put it on paper yet as there is a leaky valve seal, so I need to strip the whole thing down one more time. I believe the valve is from my first 2250 so it's about 10+ years old and has seen a lot of use.
    Looks really good, pm me your address I'll post you a ton of seals. One of the reasons I decided to go HPA! I have no use for them now.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    as above... Looks interesting.

I've just done mine rather cheaper, and based more around fixing things I hated for a fun plinker, rather than a full monty transformation like yours.

- magpull type adjustable length stock from as the original is way too long for me, never mind the kids - £15 (diy adapter 30 mins)
    - bit of weaver rail and a e6ay grip pod for the forend (free and £2.50)
    - thru the hammer SSG, to stop the piston bounce, massively reducing noise and CO2 usage - 10p for a bolt, plus 1/2 an hour of my time
    - 1/2" UNF adapter and ripley silencer, making it very quiet indeed (coupled with the above) - 45 mins and £25
    - barrel recrown - might need to revisit as I think it should be a little better

the base gun cost me £20, plus £20 for a new valve to convert it from AS to regular CO2 carts (it was leaking and the AS just has too many seals to be bothered with, plus it massively limited my stock options)

All I really need now is a new trigger spring as it's stupid heavy for such a light gun. It looks a bit walty, but it's light, quiet, cheap and fairly accurate, so meets it's design brief
    How did you manage a through the hammer ssg. My idea is to thread the stem of the poppet, only way I can think without being in a grey area.

How did you manage a through the hammer ssg. My idea is to thread the stem of the poppet, only way I can think without being in a grey area.
    i'll do some pics later, on the thread I originally started on this. ridiculously simple and effective. nothing visible or accessible externally.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Looks really good, pm me your address I'll post you a ton of seals. One of the reasons I decided to go HPA! I have no use for them now.
    A very kind offer! PM incoming

--------

I just got the last part for the last Crosman yesterday - still not 100% happy with how the red dot sight is attached so there may still be work to be done, but I'll post a few pics up later anyway.