Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: New Webley Nemesis

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Quite collectable now apparently, which is arguably even worse.
    Only by people who would collect Webley branded toilet brushes and sanitary towel dispensers if they could...

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    I think the original nemesis and the alecto were steps in a new direction, whereas the stinger and this new nemesis are not. As for the traditional webley pistol design being out of date I don't think so.. They could easily revamp the overbarrel design, just look at the baikal mp514k for a recent incarnation of such a setup.
    The original Webley Nemesis was the last of the Webley designed and built Air Pistols, whereas the Alecto was basically just a rebadges Turkish Zoraki.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Quite collectable now apparently, which is arguably even worse.
    Only because most right thinking people cut them up and burned the pieces just to be sure

That’s why they are rare
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    The original Webley Nemesis was the last of the Webley designed and built Air Pistols, whereas the Alecto was basically just a rebadges Turkish Zoraki.
    Ahh.. I thought the alecto came first and all others were copies... like the hw40.
    Donald

Ahh.. I thought the alecto came first and all others were copies... like the hw40.
    The first SSP pistols, were match guns from the late 60s through early/mid 70s like the Walther LP2&3, FAS604, Air Match.

The mid-range SSPs started I think with the Gamo PR-15 and PR-45 as lower-cost derivatives of the Gamo Compact in around 1992-93. Quickly followed by the old (proper) Webley Nemesis in 1994 or 95.

HW saw an opportunity and brought out the HW40/Beeman P3 in 1999.

If you compare the three, they are all the same basic design (as is the HW75). And are based on the FAS.

Yes, you read that right. First Webley, then HW, copied Gamo.

Or, maybe, there is one obvious best way to design an SSP.

Until 1999, Beeman had been selling Webley Nemesises (is that the correct plural?) in the US. He immediately dropped the Webley and sold the HW instead - another nail in old Webley’s coffin. Truth be told, the HW is probably a better pistol (and the Gamo ain’t bad, and was cheaper).

The “Webley” (Zoracki) Alecto arrived on the scene about ten years ago, and is no longer sold as a “Webley”. Which is almost a shame as it’s one of the few modern “Webleys” that actually seems quite good (even if I think it looks stupid).

I did a wee bit of research as well and as far as I can tell, the alecto was manufactured for webley by atakarms, webley then dropped it and atakarms started producing it for themselves. Zoraki seems to be the designation the company gives all it's pistols.

I've had the nemesis, pr15 and my favourite which I should never have sold, fwb100.. what a beauty! One If like the nemesis as well though.. the pr15 I got when they came out, it kept pinching my hand when closing so I got rid.
    Last edited by thisisdonald; 03-10-2018 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Clarity
    Donald

I did a wee bit of research as well and as far as I can tell, the alecto was manufactured for webley by atakarms, webley then dropped it and atakarms started producing it for themselves. Zoraki seems to be the designation the company gives all it's pistols.

I've had the nemesis, pr15 and my favourite which I should never have sold, fwb100.. what a beauty! One If like the nemesis as well though.. the pr15 I got when they came out, it kept pinching my hand when closing so I got rid.
    Yes, Atakarms is the company, Zoracki is the brand name.

The PR-45 is in my view at least as good as the Nemesis. Have both, and FAS604, and Compact. The HW40 is obviously a great gun, but I dislike its “trying too hard” looks.

Atakarms own version of the Alecto, the Zoraki HP-01, was already in production when the Alecto was introduced by Webley.
    The only exploded diagram and parts list I was able to obtain at the time, was for the Zoraki HP-01.

I bought one of the first Nemesis in the clam shell packaging and subsequently bought a lot, although not all, of the colour variations both in clam shells and the later boxes. I sold most of them, including a gold coloured presentation model, to another very keen collector, but still have a couple left along with some spares.
    In my opinion, the SSP Nemesis was ideal as a relatively low powered plinker.
    Last edited by Troubledshooter; 05-10-2018 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Edited to appease the pedants.

Not that low powered, my .177 shoots at near 450fps which is pretty much as you'll see out of the majority of springers let alone SSP'S.

450 fps? Are you sure about that?

That's approx. 60 fps more than the 604 which has a larger compression cylinder.

Four hundred and fifty
    The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
    Harry Callahan: When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher’s knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn’t out collecting for the Red Cross.

Yep... Chrono'd figures as well - it was 44something...

I have to admit even I was surprised at the results and checked the chrono at the with a known gun and it was reading right.
    As far as I'm aware it's in standard form.

I've got to do some more chrono work over the next couple of weeks with my rifle - if I get time I'll recheck it.

I have thought that the cylinder pressure might be more influential than the outright volume of the cylinder on short barreled pistols?
    Last edited by harvey_s; 05-10-2018 at 03:11 PM.

I like it for £120 good for the garden and i like the way you can change the bolt over if your L/H
    The point is to have fun

I had a quick play with one of these on Friday. The grip is at the wrong angle for me. Once fitted with a silencer it is very quiet, ideal for back garden plinking so as not to disturb the neighbours, but once you fit a silencer you cant see down the open sights. The 'key' to piercing the CO2 capsule is in the pistol grip so is the magazine and I found it fiddly to use. The trigger??? Pasable for a plinker. I didn't get a chance to test it for accuracy. Interchangeable bolt, leftie or righty, is a great idea.

IMO far better than the old, over barrel cocking Wobblys.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I've put a review in the review section

Now that there's more/better pictures available, I don't think the new Nemesis looks that bad.
    Alakar's review filled in the holes in the AGW piece, namely that there's some adjustability to the sights and the shot count is a respectable 55.
    Would still like to know if the gun is based on a CP1 though, which, in my view, wouldn't do it any harm at all.