Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: New Webley Nemesis

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    Whoever came up with this awful mish mash of ideas that is claiming to be "your new best friend" needs taking outside & shooting. As for "another quality product that makes you more than proud to be a Webley owner" Where do they dream this garbage up? Webley as a respected airgun designer & manufacturer died many years ago. They along with Milbro, to name another, are just badging foreign designed & manufactured guns as their own with giving any thought to spares backup or customer service. The mighty Webley MkVI is another example of this, it's a great revolver, but it's made in Taiwan!
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    I've just had the misfortune to read the so called review of this abomination. As in normal when the shooting press review anything, the pistol is "perfect" & when it isn't they fudge their way out of it. The sights, he writes, have the perfect "notch to pin ratio" along with fibre optic sights that are superb in low light conditions, surely an oxymoron as the fibre optic rods need sunlight to make them glow. The sights are then bigged up again by saying "where they're fitted there are ports on the uppers that allow light to strike the insert and add to it's brightness", no I don't understand what he's going on about either. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that how fibre optic sights work, no light, no glow? Then to cap it all, after praising the sights in form & function, he moves on to the threaded barrel which has a standard 1/2" UNF thread to accept a silencer. So far so good? Well no, because he explains how the silencer blocks the sights rendering them useless. No worries though as he imagines most owners will fit an optical sight to this, curing the sight problem in a stroke. The sights he was praising earlier in the article! The fact it has a picatinny rail under the barrel is seized upon as being just right for fitting a laser as a viable targeting option. Have you ever tried using a laser on a pistol? Try keeping the little red dot it emits steady on the target, it jumps around like a toddler on a sugar rush. But what I really don't get is the fact that people are paid a good wage to write this drivel.
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
    Abi Dexious. I went to school with her. She was great with both hands....
    This made me laugh out loud!
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

"But what I really don't get is the fact that people are paid a good wage to write this drivel".

I just think it is so wonderful that someone is actually making a living with a marketing degree.

Who would have thought it!

Shame they missed the module on having a degree of common sense...
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

If the mag works ok I might be tempted to one of these in .22. It's fugly but I kind of like it

Agree with paul55, this was a poor review with what looks like fixed sights praised highly and no mention of shot count.

Seems to me that the cheaper the gun, the less time and effort spent reviewing it.

And does anyone else think that there may be the guts of a CP1 hiding under all that plastic?

God we do like a whinge don't we. It's a cheap plinker so let's lower our expectations of the pistol and it's a quick review offering a taste of what is to come which I am sure will be more fully reviewed in due course.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    God we do like a whinge don't we. It's a cheap plinker so let's lower our expectations of the pistol and it's a quick review offering a taste of what is to come which I am sure will be more fully reviewed in due course.
    Yes, of course we do like a whinge. But it looks ghastly, is sold under the Webley brand, the post-2005 defilement of which some of us care about, and is marketed with “alternative facts” suggesting it has some lineage to the 1920s Webley pistols. Which it doesn’t.

It may well turn out to be a perfectly decent cheap plinky thing. Good for it. Frankly, I do not care. I do care (a lot, actually) that Highland Outdoors not only sell this tat under the Webley brand, but pretend that it is part of the historic Webley heritage. Which it is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Yes, of course we do like a whinge. But it looks ghastly, is sold under the Webley brand, the post-2005 defilement of which some of us care about, and is marketed with “alternative facts” suggesting it has some lineage to the 1920s Webley pistols. Which it doesn’t.

It may well turn out to be a perfectly decent cheap plinky thing. Good for it. Frankly, I do not care. I do care (a lot, actually) that Highland Outdoors not only sell this tat under the Webley brand, but pretend that it is part of the historic Webley heritage. Which it is not.
    Exactly!
    I can't see where this pistol has it's place in any of webley range of pistols... I understand the need for companies to try and stay abreast and grab market shares, but introducing crap that is so far removed from the rest of the range in terms of design and quality is a dumb move.
    Donald

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    I can't see where this pistol has it's place in any of webley range of pistols... I understand the need for companies to try and stay abreast and grab market shares, but introducing crap that is so far removed from the rest of the range in terms of design and quality is a dumb move.
    Ah-haa ... nail, head, hammer and hitting.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Hasn't hit the nail on the head at all. The Webley of 30+ years ago is no more. Let it go and cherish the quality Webley products of ye old days whilst accepting that the current incarnation of Webley caters to a different market with different products. However if you want to keep raising your collective blood pressures over such an issue please do so.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I think some of you may have selective memories....

Anyone recall the abortion that was made under the original Webley umbrella called the Stinger....

...the Trabant was a classic in it's time

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    I think some of you may have selective memories....

Anyone recall the abortion that was made under the original Webley umbrella called the Stinger....
    Quite collectable now apparently, which is arguably even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Hasn't hit the nail on the head at all. The Webley of 30+ years ago is no more. Let it go and cherish the quality Webley products of ye old days whilst accepting that the current incarnation of Webley caters to a different market with different products. However if you want to keep raising your collective blood pressures over such an issue please do so.
    I think the original nemesis and the alecto were steps in a new direction, whereas the stinger and this new nemesis are not. As for the traditional webley pistol design being out of date I don't think so.. They could easily revamp the overbarrel design, just look at the baikal mp514k for a recent incarnation of such a setup.
    Donald