Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lever lock break barrel vs spring detent lock, what do you think is best and why?

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

Lever lock break barrel vs spring detent lock, what do you think is best and why?

I have always liked the idea of a lever lock break barrel but there are so few to choose from, I can only think of three now being made, the HW35 the SMK B2 and the LGV (Are there any more still being made?)

The one thing that turns me off is the position of the lever I don't like the lever protruding from the forend on the LGV and I don't like the cut out in the forend on the 35, the B2 lever position is OK but it is a B2.

Why are locking levers so rare on break barrels is there any benefit? or are they now just a gimmick adding weight and long TP's.

I notice that springers that really need a strong lock up dont have them like the HW80 the patriot the pro elite and the eliminator as well as many other quality break barrels including custom jobs.

If AA do do another break barrel I wonder if it will it have a locking lever

It seems that there is another advantage with some of the lever-lock mechanisms v those without. The latter can be a little noisy, emitting a loud click as the barrel re-engages. This would not do were vermin in range. With the former, the lock can be retracted to create a comparably soundless re-engagement.

I imagine cost of manufacture is the deciding factor,lever locks presumably are more expensive to produce.Well made break barrels with chisel detentes and consistent lock up are at no disadvantage to a manual lever lock.

HW in the past,though decided a lever lock was superior to a chisel detente as evidenced by the HW35 and the target specific HW55.

The FWB Sport with its relatively weakly sprung ball bearing detente was supposed to slightly blow open on firing,but the guns are very accurate regardless.

Personally I like lever locking break barrels!

I love the reassurance and the quieter opening and closing of the manual lock. No need for a hard tap to open the detent as required on many guns, too.

The CZ Slavia break barrels also have a manual lock.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

A neighbour came to me recently with a BSA Mercury about 40 years old, he'd taken it to bits to do an overhaul then lost the detent plunger and its spring.

We managed to find him a second hand plunger (no longer available as a new spare) and I thought I must have a spring in my collection that will do. Not a bit of it, it was quite a surprise how stiff a spring is needed.

I've had several HW80s and still have one now; the lockup has always been positive and secure.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

For target a leverlock. But for hunting give me a break barrel everytime. Getting a 2nd shot off is was much quicker in my hw80 than my 35 export. Thats the reason i sold my export the leverlock just got on my nerves for hunting.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Barrel-lock levers are as much use as tits on a bull and should be consigned to historys anal along with ball detents and electronic triggers.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Barrel-lock levers are as much use as tits on a bull and should be consigned to historys anal along with ball detents and electronic triggers.
    Lol, you crack me up mate

Anschutz 335 springs to mind (no pun intended) especially Mk 2
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    I imagine cost of manufacture is the deciding factor,lever locks presumably are more expensive to produce.
    I'm not really convinced of that because some of the current lever lock break barrels seem to be cheapies, the 35 is a very old model that HW just kept but I'm not sure why the lever was fitted to the LGV when it was supposed to be a modern break barrel, if it does cost more to manufacture a lever lock I wonder if LGV fans would have preferred a HW type lock up and more spent on a better trigger plus it would have been a better looking forend

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I have a couple of 98's and a couple of 80's (reduced bore) all in .177 - and have never had a problem with the barrel latching perfectly.

I also see no lack of accuracy with either of these rifles, to the extent that they are as accurate as my 97.

I do however have a 35.....which is certainly not as accurate of any of the above

Cheers Steve

Barrel locks

There are three systems that lock the barrel positively, these are the HW 55, Diana 65/66 and the Walther/Anschutz types.
    The HW35 is not a locking system as a barrel slap will open the action, so why it exists when an 80 type would do the same job is beyond me, the company would save both money and time if it was changed to the same as the model 80.

I think there are a few Hatsans that have a break barrel with a lever lock thingy. Not sure if any are officially imported to our market though.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

I use the Walther LGV for my hunting rifle and it is brilliant, the lever to unlock the barrel for me is not a problem, in fact I prefer it to twatting the barrel to break it. As for the trigger, with some patience and a little work they are superb, I have one which is a little to light and needs adjustment. On top of that with a moderator mine is so quiet, most people do not believe it's a Springer when they first hear it. I have 6 Walthers 2 LGU's and 4 LGV's. They are as accurate as any of my other rifles.
    I love them and really don't understand why they are not more popular.
    Shooting Air Rifles is like being a pubic hair on a toilet seat.
    Eventually someone comes a long and P's you off.
    They usually have a PCP

Lever Lock.

Venom Mach 1 had a lever lock. Worked lovely. Mach 1.5