Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lever lock break barrel vs spring detent lock, what do you think is best and why?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

Lever lock break barrel vs spring detent lock, what do you think is best and why?

I have always liked the idea of a lever lock break barrel but there are so few to choose from, I can only think of three now being made, the HW35 the SMK B2 and the LGV (Are there any more still being made?)

The one thing that turns me off is the position of the lever I don't like the lever protruding from the forend on the LGV and I don't like the cut out in the forend on the 35, the B2 lever position is OK but it is a B2.

Why are locking levers so rare on break barrels is there any benefit? or are they now just a gimmick adding weight and long TP's.

I notice that springers that really need a strong lock up dont have them like the HW80 the patriot the pro elite and the eliminator as well as many other quality break barrels including custom jobs.

If AA do do another break barrel I wonder if it will it have a locking lever

It seems that there is another advantage with some of the lever-lock mechanisms v those without. The latter can be a little noisy, emitting a loud click as the barrel re-engages. This would not do were vermin in range. With the former, the lock can be retracted to create a comparably soundless re-engagement.

I imagine cost of manufacture is the deciding factor,lever locks presumably are more expensive to produce.Well made break barrels with chisel detentes and consistent lock up are at no disadvantage to a manual lever lock.

HW in the past,though decided a lever lock was superior to a chisel detente as evidenced by the HW35 and the target specific HW55.

The FWB Sport with its relatively weakly sprung ball bearing detente was supposed to slightly blow open on firing,but the guns are very accurate regardless.

Personally I like lever locking break barrels!

I love the reassurance and the quieter opening and closing of the manual lock. No need for a hard tap to open the detent as required on many guns, too.

The CZ Slavia break barrels also have a manual lock.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

A neighbour came to me recently with a BSA Mercury about 40 years old, he'd taken it to bits to do an overhaul then lost the detent plunger and its spring.

We managed to find him a second hand plunger (no longer available as a new spare) and I thought I must have a spring in my collection that will do. Not a bit of it, it was quite a surprise how stiff a spring is needed.

I've had several HW80s and still have one now; the lockup has always been positive and secure.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

For target a leverlock. But for hunting give me a break barrel everytime. Getting a 2nd shot off is was much quicker in my hw80 than my 35 export. Thats the reason i sold my export the leverlock just got on my nerves for hunting.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    I imagine cost of manufacture is the deciding factor,lever locks presumably are more expensive to produce.
    I'm not really convinced of that because some of the current lever lock break barrels seem to be cheapies, the 35 is a very old model that HW just kept but I'm not sure why the lever was fitted to the LGV when it was supposed to be a modern break barrel, if it does cost more to manufacture a lever lock I wonder if LGV fans would have preferred a HW type lock up and more spent on a better trigger plus it would have been a better looking forend

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    HW in the past,though decided a lever lock was superior to a chisel detente as evidenced by the HW35 and the target specific HW55.
    So did the Chinese with that paragon of accuracy the b2...

To use a computing term 'garbage in, garbage out'

Anschutz 335 springs to mind (no pun intended) especially Mk 2
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Why are locking levers so rare on break barrels is there any benefit? or are they now just a gimmick adding weight and long TP's.

I notice that springers that really need a strong lock up dont have them like the HW80 the patriot the pro elite and the eliminator as well as many other quality break barrels including custom jobs.
    Before I had my Walther LGV 55 break barrel, I only had lever-less break barrels that needed slapping to open.
    I was pleasantly surprised to see how easily and smoothly the LGV opened just by tilting the barrel slightly upwards and gently squeezing the locking lever.
    So for ease of use I like lever actuated barrels better and I certainly do not think they are detrimental, but more beneficial with added refinement.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    The only post-War lever lock that actually 'locks' is on the HW55 which cams down and locks solid. All the other ones can be opened with a firm rabbit punch.

The HW98 and HW80 etc have relatively small chisel detents but they can be made as accurate as any springer, so I would say the barrel lock is a waste of time and engineering.

Get a fixed-barrel rifle if you are concerned about breech misalignment.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    The only post-War lever lock that actually 'locks' is on the HW55 which cams down and locks solid. All the other ones can be opened with a firm rabbit punch.
    Try that with an LGV

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    Try that with an LGV
    Shan't.

Shan't.
    OK

The HW98 and HW80 etc have relatively small chisel detents but they can be made as accurate as any springer, so I would say the barrel lock is a waste of time and engineering.

Get a fixed-barrel rifle if you are concerned about breech misalignment.
    The Diana Mod 65 and 66 break barrels use a locking lever to collapse the spring of the detent and thus mechanically wedge the chisel edge of the detent against a small chisel like protrusion in the action, thereby eliminating having to rely on just the spring's tension to achieve a good lock-up.
    No amount of abuse or slapping will make these Diana barrels budge once locked. Is it any more accurate? Maybe, maybe not.
    The detent on its own whatever type it is, will not work as intended unless the breech block and pivot pin are wobble free.I have a high powered HW80 and HW90 both very accurate with (just) the simpler spring loaded chisel detent, but they get slapped just the same.