Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lever lock break barrel vs spring detent lock, what do you think is best and why?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Barrel-lock levers are as much use as tits on a bull and should be consigned to historys anal along with ball detents and electronic triggers.
    I have a couple of 98's and a couple of 80's (reduced bore) all in .177 - and have never had a problem with the barrel latching perfectly.

I also see no lack of accuracy with either of these rifles, to the extent that they are as accurate as my 97.

I do however have a 35.....which is certainly not as accurate of any of the above

Cheers Steve

Barrel locks

There are three systems that lock the barrel positively, these are the HW 55, Diana 65/66 and the Walther/Anschutz types.
    The HW35 is not a locking system as a barrel slap will open the action, so why it exists when an 80 type would do the same job is beyond me, the company would save both money and time if it was changed to the same as the model 80.

I think there are a few Hatsans that have a break barrel with a lever lock thingy. Not sure if any are officially imported to our market though.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

I use the Walther LGV for my hunting rifle and it is brilliant, the lever to unlock the barrel for me is not a problem, in fact I prefer it to twatting the barrel to break it. As for the trigger, with some patience and a little work they are superb, I have one which is a little to light and needs adjustment. On top of that with a moderator mine is so quiet, most people do not believe it's a Springer when they first hear it. I have 6 Walthers 2 LGU's and 4 LGV's. They are as accurate as any of my other rifles.
    I love them and really don't understand why they are not more popular.
    Shooting Air Rifles is like being a pubic hair on a toilet seat.
    Eventually someone comes a long and P's you off.
    They usually have a PCP

Lever Lock.

Venom Mach 1 had a lever lock. Worked lovely. Mach 1.5

Lever locks have no advantage in the accuracy department, but are very smooth and quieter when closing. Latest Weihrauch and some other makes of wedge shape detents usually need a sharp tap on the barrel to open them, and are a bit too clicky for my liking. What I do is take a small diamond file to the point of the wedge and round it off a little, making sure it it cleaned well afterwards. This gets rid of the click, then I apply a bit of moly grease, and the result is a smooth and quiet break action.
    Last edited by Spitzer; 27-09-2018 at 01:55 AM.

Pellpax Blackout Kit £209.99

I appreciate that Pellpax rebrand rifles. The aforementioned rifle appears to have a lever lock, any idea what this gun started life as before Pellpax rebranded it? I thought it looked a bit like a Norica but couldn't find one with a lever lock

The Jongmans Zealandia over- centre lock is a joy to use - low effort, absolute lock, repeatable and quiet.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 26-09-2018 at 07:55 PM.

[QUOTE=Spitzer;7570419What I do is take a small diamond file to the point of the wedge and round it off a little, making sure it it cleaned well afterwards. This gets rid of the click, then I apply a bit of moly grease, and the result is a smooth and quiet break action.[/QUOTE]

OK , I won't be buying anything off you!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Seth View Post
    OK , I won't be buying anything off you!
    Ha... lol don't worry, they are keepers.
    Last edited by Spitzer; 28-09-2018 at 06:18 AM.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Venom Mach 1 had a lever lock. Worked lovely. Mach 1.5
    I would like to see a picture of that if you have one or perhaps a link

Quote Originally Posted by Weasle View Post
    I have a couple of 98's and a couple of 80's (reduced bore) all in .177 - and have never had a problem with the barrel latching perfectly.

I also see no lack of accuracy with either of these rifles, to the extent that they are as accurate as my 97.

Cheers Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by StellaArtois Sr View Post
    I use the Walther LGV for my hunting rifle and it is brilliant, the lever to unlock the barrel for me is not a problem, in fact I prefer it to twatting the barrel to break it.
    I also have numerous break barrels without a manual latch and have had no issues over many years and find them very accurate. However, the smooth, silent operation of the manual latch lends an air of more refinement in my view. More discreet for hunting purposes, too. And the LGV one I do find particularly lovely in operation.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasle View Post

I do however have a 35.....which is certainly not as accurate of any of the above

Cheers Steve

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I also have numerous break barrels without a manual latch and have had no issues over many years and find them very accurate.
    Hmmm, selective copying and pasting there Tony. The 35 is the rubbish gun Weihrauch forgot to stop making, along with the 99. Just admit it.
    My ignore list: ​<Hidden information>

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Hmmm, selective copying and pasting there Tony. The 35 is the rubbish gun Weihrauch forgot to stop making, along with the 99. Just admit it.
    No, no, no, Nick!

I love my four HW35s and my two 99s to bits!

Lovely, lovely accurate rifles and I just wish I had more time to play with them.

If I get the chance to get a plink in on Sunday I think I'll get some playtime in with one of the 35s. I might even endeavour to try and post some pictures......just for you!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by StellaArtois Sr View Post
    I have 6 Walthers 2 LGU's and 4 LGV's.
    That's what I call a real die-hard walther LGU/LGV fan just keep taking your medication