Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lever lock break barrel vs spring detent lock, what do you think is best and why?

Lever locks have no advantage in the accuracy department, but are very smooth and quieter when closing. Latest Weihrauch and some other makes of wedge shape detents usually need a sharp tap on the barrel to open them, and are a bit too clicky for my liking. What I do is take a small diamond file to the point of the wedge and round it off a little, making sure it it cleaned well afterwards. This gets rid of the click, then I apply a bit of moly grease, and the result is a smooth and quiet break action.
    Last edited by Spitzer; 27-09-2018 at 01:55 AM.

Pellpax Blackout Kit £209.99

I appreciate that Pellpax rebrand rifles. The aforementioned rifle appears to have a lever lock, any idea what this gun started life as before Pellpax rebranded it? I thought it looked a bit like a Norica but couldn't find one with a lever lock

The Jongmans Zealandia over- centre lock is a joy to use - low effort, absolute lock, repeatable and quiet.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 26-09-2018 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Weasle View Post
    I have a couple of 98's and a couple of 80's (reduced bore) all in .177 - and have never had a problem with the barrel latching perfectly.

I also see no lack of accuracy with either of these rifles, to the extent that they are as accurate as my 97.

Cheers Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by StellaArtois Sr View Post
    I use the Walther LGV for my hunting rifle and it is brilliant, the lever to unlock the barrel for me is not a problem, in fact I prefer it to twatting the barrel to break it.
    I also have numerous break barrels without a manual latch and have had no issues over many years and find them very accurate. However, the smooth, silent operation of the manual latch lends an air of more refinement in my view. More discreet for hunting purposes, too. And the LGV one I do find particularly lovely in operation.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasle View Post
    I also see no lack of accuracy with either of these rifles, to the extent that they are as accurate as my 97.

I do however have a 35.....which is certainly not as accurate of any of the above

Cheers Steve

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I also have numerous break barrels without a manual latch and have had no issues over many years and find them very accurate.
    Hmmm, selective copying and pasting there Tony. The 35 is the rubbish gun Weihrauch forgot to stop making, along with the 99. Just admit it.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Hmmm, selective copying and pasting there Tony. The 35 is the rubbish gun Weihrauch forgot to stop making, along with the 99. Just admit it.
    No, no, no, Nick!

I love my four HW35s and my two 99s to bits!

Lovely, lovely accurate rifles and I just wish I had more time to play with them.

If I get the chance to get a plink in on Sunday I think I'll get some playtime in with one of the 35s. I might even endeavour to try and post some pictures......just for you!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    I have 6 Walthers 2 LGU's and 4 LGV's.
    That's what I call a real die-hard walther LGU/LGV fan just keep taking your medication

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Venom Mach 1 had a lever lock. Worked lovely. Mach 1.5
    I would like to see a picture of that if you have one or perhaps a link

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    HW in the past,though decided a lever lock was superior to a chisel detente as evidenced by the HW35 and the target specific HW55.
    So did the Chinese with that paragon of accuracy the b2...

To use a computing term 'garbage in, garbage out'

I use the Walther LGV for my hunting rifle and it is brilliant, the lever to unlock the barrel for me is not a problem, in fact I prefer it to twatting the barrel to break it. As for the trigger, with some patience and a little work they are superb, I have one which is a little to light and needs adjustment. On top of that with a moderator mine is so quiet, most people do not believe it's a Springer when they first hear it. I have 6 Walthers 2 LGU's and 4 LGV's. They are as accurate as any of my other rifles.
    I love them and really don't understand why they are not more popular.
    Hi which do you prefer out of the two walthers, ii have an LGU amd a Century, I have just done some work on the Century and the difference is fantastic, I have short stroked it and fitted a different trigger blade. All the best from a fellow Walther fan. Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Why are locking levers so rare on break barrels is there any benefit? or are they now just a gimmick adding weight and long TP's.

I notice that springers that really need a strong lock up dont have them like the HW80 the patriot the pro elite and the eliminator as well as many other quality break barrels including custom jobs.
    Before I had my Walther LGV 55 break barrel, I only had lever-less break barrels that needed slapping to open.
    I was pleasantly surprised to see how easily and smoothly the LGV opened just by tilting the barrel slightly upwards and gently squeezing the locking lever.
    So for ease of use I like lever actuated barrels better and I certainly do not think they are detrimental, but more beneficial with added refinement.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    The only post-War lever lock that actually 'locks' is on the HW55 which cams down and locks solid. All the other ones can be opened with a firm rabbit punch.

The HW98 and HW80 etc have relatively small chisel detents but they can be made as accurate as any springer, so I would say the barrel lock is a waste of time and engineering.

Get a fixed-barrel rifle if you are concerned about breech misalignment.

[QUOTE=Spitzer;7570419What I do is take a small diamond file to the point of the wedge and round it off a little, making sure it it cleaned well afterwards. This gets rid of the click, then I apply a bit of moly grease, and the result is a smooth and quiet break action.[/QUOTE]

OK , I won't be buying anything off you!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    The only post-War lever lock that actually 'locks' is on the HW55 which cams down and locks solid. All the other ones can be opened with a firm rabbit punch.
    Try that with an LGV

Quote Originally Posted by dvd View Post
    Before I had my Walther LGV 55 break barrel, I only had lever-less break barrels that needed slapping to open.
    I was pleasantly surprised to see how easily and smoothly the LGV opened just by tilting the barrel slightly upwards and gently squeezing the locking lever.
    So for ease of use I like lever actuated barrels better and I certainly do not think they are detrimental, but more beneficial with added refinement.
    Yeah I didnt see the point of Barrel locks till I got a LGV smooth like breaking a shotgun