Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tusker Downed

Tusker Downed

I recently killed a large bull elephant in my vegetable garden - with a single shot.

I used my BSA Airsporter, open sights set at 30 yards, and a BSA Pylarm pellet. I must say that I was able to achieve the confidence to take this type of shot though the application of an admixture of mercury fulminate, gum arabic and garam masalara to the cavity at the base of the pellet. Although of course a lifetime of gunnery practice is indispensable in these situations.

Has anyone else taken a mastodon recently? They appear to be getting rarer and rarer each year, probably due to the predations of the E.E.C.

Yrs, Mr D.

Lee S Guest
    .177 or .22 ??? You have to be careful of over-penetration with the girly-calibre, even with big pachiderms(sp)

Originally posted by Lee S
    .177 or .22 ??? You have to be careful of over-penetration with the girly-calibre, even with big pachiderms(sp)
    The Senior calibre was used, I am unaware that smaller shot is used for game shooting in the English-speaking world; although I believe that this is not always the case in certain colonies. Regrettably, but not suprisingly, these are almost always French possessions.

The pellet bisected the medulla of the elephant's brain, causing instantaneous death. I slay all my game from a mouse upwards in this manner as it conforms with a gentleman's code of sportsmanship.

Yrs, Mr D
    Last edited by Mr D; 02-03-2004 at 11:16 PM.

Guest Guest
    I like it Mr D, do carry on.

Although I wasn't aware that they were in season in the Northern Territories until next month

You've been drinking your sales samples again haven't you?

Best regards

Dave.

Originally posted by Viperteks
    I like it Mr D, do carry on.

Although I wasn't aware that they were in season in the Northern Territories until next month

You've been drinking your sales samples again haven't you?

Best regards

Dave.
    Dear 'Dave' - you are indeed correct in surmising that I shot the bull out of season. However, smallholders are allowed to destroy animals that are found 'de facto' maraudering in their crops. This indeed was the case on this February morning when I heard him trumpeting amongst my carrots. I rely almost exculsively on my garden for vegetables, the quality of the produce available in the markets being so degraded that it is, in my opinion, only fit for immediate composting.

As to your second comment, I did indeed need a small 'nip' of my new consignment of Portugese brandy to steady my nerves before venturing forth to meet my be-tusked and be-trunked foe. Is there a man among you who would not 'take a dram' in this situation, even when armed with such an accomplished and devastating weapon as the BSA Airsporter? I think not.

Yrs, Mr D.
    Last edited by Mr D; 02-03-2004 at 11:58 PM.

Thumbs down

This is outrageous. Common decency suggests that game be taken with a suitably humane calibre, and for pachyderm I feel that nothing less than a quality double rifle in .25 Beeman should be selected.

The single-shot Airsporter is a poor choice unless in matched pairs, with the assistance of a skilled loader.

This is the kind of behaviour up with which we should not put.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Hmmmm...... I'm having trouble believing you could take on such prey with a humble Airsporter -

now if you used an "expertly fettled" BSA Mercury, well, that would be an entirely different story

"expertly fettled" BSA Mercury,

Now you're talking

I hear through clandestine channels that this is the model that the Iraqi's were trying to base their "Supergun" on.

Keep it coming

Ogri the trog
    Improvise, Adapt & Overcome

Paul Hudson Guest
    Please use larger type in this thread!

I can no longer see the screen clearly through the haze of coffee mixed with bacon sandwich crumbs

Paul.

Wink

I seem to remember that Airgun World had a very nice article on hunting Elephants with airguns many years ago - the article was in the April issue

Mr D(oe) by any chance?

Dave.

T-Hire Guest
    I trust you were sporting a holstered GAT gun to be used in the event that the beast was still in distress.

Originally posted by Mr D
    his indeed was the case on this February morning when I heard him trumpeting amongst my carrots.
    Yrs, Mr D.
    muahahahaa!
    They said you can't polish sh*t.. well mine's chrome plated

Mr D - may I be so bold as to solicit your advice as to the required tactics and equipment that will best enable me to thin out my farm's infestation of velociraptors. These creatures are exceedingly fleet of foot and even accurately placed pellets from my FAC Stalker only seem to serve to enrage them.

Yours expectantly,

Lionel
    Last edited by lionel; 03-03-2004 at 11:22 AM.

Might I suggest that you hang the Pachyderm's carcase from your garden fence as a warning to others that might find the temptation of your vegetable garden irresistible.

Bob

T-Hire Guest
    Ahhhhh so that's the secret ingredient for Tusker beer...brewed in Namibia IIRC.

Was on the honeymoon in the Maldives in 94 the only beer we could get...Tusker!...tasted of carrots actually, now I understand. All has become clear.