Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Do You Say?

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    I say, lets ban all PCPs and target style airrifles from HFT comps. Bug standard springers only. I also say that resting the gun on the floor on its butt should also be banned. This is becoming a point of contention with some of my fellow shooters too. There is no skill in resting the butt on the floor and supporting the forend of the rifle on the peg wearing target gloves. Lets have it, what do u think?

A.G
    Here we go again, another lets bash the pcp brigade. Same tripe that come's around again and again.

Instead of lets ban all pcp's lets ban all spring rifles from HFT and then everyone can be the same and why not ban all multi adjustable stocks too, infact lets ban all the over 60's and junior shooter while we are at it because they just slow everything down.

Absolute crap!

HFT is open for all shooters of all abilities with any combination of equipment, so what if someone wants to spend several grand on their kit, that is up to them and why should they be punished for being able to spend that amount of money, it still doesn't guarantee them success, in the right hands an s200 or s400 is capable of winning a competition.

Oh and lets not forget that thanks to the chap that is willing to spend his hard earned cash on FTP's HFT500's, Steyrs, Anschutz, ISP's, HW100's, Daystates, BSA, and all the rest of the £900 -£2000 bits of kit, we wouldn't have the great choice of air rifles and manufacturers that we now have. We would still be using outdated crap from the 60's.

HFT is a great sport, with categories that cater for most, there is nothing to stop you from shooting a BOG standard springer with the but off the ground....its called the Recoiling class but, I don't think you will get to far as most of the top springer shooters are trying to get their springer to shoot like a pcp!

And lets not forget that the very first Air rifles were in fact pneumatics.

If it concerns you that much, why don't you start your own HFT competition something like the "Sporting Air Rifle Challange" oh wait! That happened a few years ago, and it was a great idea and a lot time and energy went into it, but unfortunately it was not well supported...I wounder why?

No skill in resting your butt on the ground, then why are you not competing along side the likes of Richard woods, Simon Vant, Mike Burgess, Vince Holland, and all the other guys who regularly shoot very competitively....I was in a shoot off with Richard and watched him use someone else's rifle and nail all three unsported standers.....so no skill then!

M.
    Last edited by happydad; 12-10-2018 at 05:44 AM.
    HFT.......SAVED MY SANITY 🤡
    59er HW100 barreled Steyr Lg110 + Sightron s111 10×42
    Beware the man with one gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    The 'Sporter' and NSRA websites have all the details. It was originally created for juniors, but there is an 'open' category for any age.

http://www.sporter.org.uk/

http://www.nsra.co.uk/index.php/home/reference/rules

I was going to have a go myself, but never got around to it - life keeps getting in the way!

A number of manufacturers produce rifles tailored for this discipline, they are not the leery creations used in 10m precision, but I think any rifle that meets the criteria in the rules can by used.

Hope this helps.

Mark.
    Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    I say, lets ban all PCPs and target style airrifles from HFT comps. Bug standard springers only. I also say that resting the gun on the floor on its butt should also be banned. This is becoming a point of contention with some of my fellow shooters too. There is no skill in resting the butt on the floor and supporting the forend of the rifle on the peg wearing target gloves. Lets have it, what do u think?

A.G
    Why not start your own comp up, get out there, organise it, sort out the insurance, sponsored prizes, marshalling, scorecards, leauge tables, spraying the plates, putting the strings out, bringing the strings in, dealing with the detractors, complainers and target callers etc etc.

Let me know when it is and I wont come.

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by craig9mm View Post
    When all this first started decades ago I read a bloke won a biggish comp with a BSA Mercury and open sights.....!!!!
    and shooting Spitfires.

If PCPs, butt resting and all the other techniques make it so easy, how come a clear round isnt achieved all the time? If you game shoot, do you take a springer with open sights, stand unsupported and shoot? There are sections for springer and PCP, and I know a fair few shooters that shoot springer as well as any PCP.

Personally, I would like to see an unsupported standing day- same course,, and see how people do.