Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hw80 short stroke

Hw80 short stroke

Hello

I've seen a nice hw80k, which I believe is a MK2.

I'm aware of the shortfalls the design has at sub 12. Are the short stroke drop in kits worth it? Or is it better to forget about it and stick to something with a smaller bore eg 95?

It looks far better quality than newer hws. Are they really that bad to shoot at sub 12 or is it all scaremongering?

Cheers

If it's a nice one and you fancy it, get it.

Fantastic rifles.

They can be really nice even with standard bore and stroke. One of mine (a Mark 1 with "standard" Venom tune) is beautifully forgiving and was my go to hunting gun for many years.

Get it, try it, get used to it. If you later felt the need to improve its manners, de-twanging (if needed) by way of properly fitting guide and top hat would be the first stage of minor fettling and that may well be sufficient. If you then later wanted to go further you could try short stroking it to, say, 70mm. By doing it in little stages you'll be able to better assess whether the changes were positive and they made it better FOR YOU.

Lovely, solid classic rifles and still more than relevant today.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I've recently had this conundrum.
    I like weihrauchs particularly older ones without the stupid warnings stamped on them.
    I'm not a fan of the 95s with the plastic plug or any built along the same lines.
    I wanted either a 77 or 80
    I really don't think most people will struggle to shoot an 80.
    They've been around forever, yes there massive for a legal limit gun.
    But there is so much stuff out there and so much knowledge on here
    You are bound to be able to get it shooting good enough for you.
    And it's built like a tank, and they look good.
    If you bought it for the right price and you hate it, sell it someone will buy it because it's an 80.
    I bought a full length 77 in .22 and just got it back together last night, after making some bits for it
    I can't wait to have a go with it after work
    Good deals with:
    Dunn220, Leon, Bullcelt, stink£r, u.k.neil, supersharpshoot, william and airgun god, GEORGEY, telgun, Simon P and stubbs4612, Wellhouse0, harpo

Quote Originally Posted by rg627 View Post
    Hello

I'm aware of the shortfalls the design has at sub 12. Are the short stroke drop in kits worth it? Or is it better to forget about it and stick to something with a smaller bore eg 95?

It looks far better quality than newer hws. Are they really that bad to shoot at sub 12 or is it all scaremongering?

Cheers

They shoot fine in standard fettle, but recoil can be reduced by short stroking. Whether this improves accuracy or not is debatable. I have 3, two with short strokes and lightened pistons and one as standard but with fitted guides to cure the boing. The standard one can group as well as the others in my hands. Also rather than feeding heavy I just think they have a nice heft that helps keep them steady on target. I actually weighed one of mine and compared it to my 95 in similar trim and there wasn't as much in it as you might think. In short, buy it!! 😉
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Like previously stated, if it's a nice gun and the right price and you like the look and feel, then buy it, you will be able to move it on no problem if it's not for you, personally i think they shoot lovely with very little fettling and most likely, the previous owner has already done it for you, don't worry about the weight either, if you use it enough, you will soon get used to the solid build and grow to love it, if I were only allowed to own one gun, it would definitely be an 80, atb Daz

Great rifles at sub 12, i have 2, one in 25 & one in 177, both very accurate. The 177 is running at 8ftlb, probably the most under powered 80 in the country !, i use it at 10m, & will be using it in the mpl league, get it use, then do a bit of work on it, they are easy to work on.

Rob

Barryg is online now Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by BAD DAZ View Post
    if I were only allowed to own one gun, it would definitely be an 80, atb Daz
    Same here

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    They can be really nice even with standard bore and stroke. One of mine (a Mark 1 with "standard" Venom tune) is beautifully forgiving and was my go to hunting gun for many years.
    Hi Tony,
    Have you been inside to see what it has had done? I ask as I have a MK1 80 with an early venom stock (reworked standard stock) and what I have had been advised are early venom internals. It would be good to compare mine with yours for further confirmation.
    Cheers Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Hello

Cheers
    I love my 80's - all in 0.177 - however they are best with a reduced bore conversion for sub 12FPE....completely and utterly sublime.

I've tinkered with ALL the alternatives over the years, and none are as good as what Mr Pope can do with a 25mm piston and liner...

Cheers Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Weasle View Post
    I love my 80's - all in 0.177 - however they are best with a reduced bore conversion for sub 12FPE....completely and utterly sublime.

I've tinkered with ALL the alternatives over the years, and none are as good as what Mr Pope can do with a 25mm piston and liner...

Cheers Steve
    This I would most definitely agree with.

I have a semi-bullpup '80 which was Lazaglided back in 1990 and then serviced by Steve last year. Lovely.

But standard ones, as many have stated above, are still nice and most definitely accurate and usable.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Hi Tony,
    Have you been inside to see what it has had done? I ask as I have a MK1 80 with an early venom stock (reworked standard stock) and what I have had been advised are early venom internals. It would be good to compare mine with yours for further confirmation.
    Cheers Rich.
    Hi Rich, no, sorry.

Although I do / have done a fair bit of home fettling on many of my springers over the years, I decided a long time ago that my Venoms (two 80s, the Lazaglided 80 and Vantage 77) remain untouched by anyone other than Venom back in the day and V-Mach in the "modern era". Just seems right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Hi Rich, no, sorry.

Although I do / have done a fair bit of home fettling on many of my springers over the years, I decided a long time ago that my Venoms (two 80s, the Lazaglided 80 and Vantage 77) remain untouched by anyone other than Venom back in the day and V-Mach in the "modern era". Just seems right to me.
    Perfectly understandable 😀
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Weasle View Post

Cheers Steve
    I have been toying with this idea, & i have spoken to Geoff Bullock of LSD, about him doing the work.

Thanks guys

That's reassuring.

Are the 80;and 95 barrels of today still interchangeable with a MK2?

Thanks guys

That's reassuring.

Are the 80;and 95 barrels of today still interchangeable with a MK2?
    Yes they are - and if I were you.... I'd use a 95 or a 98 barrel - from my experience they seem to be just a tad more accurate.

Cheers Steve