Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hw80 short stroke

knew I shouldn't have listened to you guys; I've gone and bought one! Not the MK2 carbine but a full length MK1. It's quite tatty and will be a project.

Initially it was dieseling and running hot. Just stripped it and it's full of gunk and the springs bent a tad. The spring was massive. I will be changing the internals anyways so trimmed the spring and cleaned it up so I could have a plink. 10ft lbs and boings!

Gave me some fun for couple of hours but on to the project. .....

Who's the best short stroke option? Fitted a tbt short stroke to my prosport and that works really nice. I going to need new spring and guides anyway so I'm tempted with the stroking school of thought via drop in kit.

I don't have the knowledge to alter transfer port or lighten the piston so want to avoid that if possible.

Failing that, 25mm conversion may be an option. What ball park figure would you expect to pay and who does them these days other than vmach. Are the two like comparing chalk and cheese or can you expect similar results? I have never fired a 25 mm one.

I'm in a dilemma as to which tuning route to go down.

Finally , once I have it running nicely, if it's a keeper I may reblue. Who's the main man in Manchester area these days and how do I get hold of them....

Any advice appreciated

Maybe get one of Mr Bum's "posh" kits, the one with the spring & matching top hat & guide and the short stroke nose and new seals. Try it at standard stroke to begin with and see how you get on and then fit the strokey nose later if desired?

Colin Molloy's the man for a re-blue in the Manchester area but I seem to remember seeing recently that he's relocating and not taking on any work at the moment?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Yes Tony, it does look a good option. I have been impressed with his kits before

I'll try and track him down. If not, are there any other gunsmiths whomsoever blueing in the northwest?

Why are springers such an addictive hobby!

Quote Originally Posted by rg627 View Post
    Yes Tony, it does look a good option. I have been impressed with his kits before

I'll try and track him down. If not, are there any other gunsmiths whomsoever blueing in the northwest?

If you're on Facebook do a search for Geoff Bullock owner of LSD no not the drug
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

'Cos they go "BOING"!!!!!!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Hello

I've seen a nice hw80k, which I believe is a MK2.

I'm aware of the shortfalls the design has at sub 12. Are the short stroke drop in kits worth it? Or is it better to forget about it and stick to something with a smaller bore eg 95?

It looks far better quality than newer hws. Are they really that bad to shoot at sub 12 or is it all scaremongering?

Cheers
    Personally at UK level - a short stuff spring with enough preload (on length of spring) is the way to go
    IMO better in 177 and 20 cal as these tend to lend themselves to ‘enough spring ‘
    In 22 I’d say better off with 95 for sure
    They are fine to shoot if set up properly-
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Have the V-Mach reduced cylinder capacity conversion this will make the gun one of the best spring guns you will ever fire , Dont take my word ask the shooters thats go one.
    .22 Venom Mach 1 (FAC) 6-25x56 Millett.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Thumbhole 6.5-20x40 Leupold EFR.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Sporter 4-12x40 Leupold.
    .177 Venom Vantage 4-16x50.
    .177 Venom Daystate 8-32x56 AGS.
    .22 Venom Datstate 4-16x56 AGS.
    .22 Webley Venom FX2000 6-18x40 Busnel Legend.
    .177 Titan MPT by Steve Pope 6-24x40 Tasco.
    .177 Pro-Sport 4-16x50.
    .22 Webley FX2000 3-9x33 Leupold EFR.
    .177 Logan Solo 4-16x50.
    .22 HW90 (spring powered) 4-16x50
    .22 Gamo Stutzen.
    .177 Walther lever action.

Quote Originally Posted by venoman View Post
    Have the V-Mach reduced cylinder capacity conversion this will make the gun one of the best spring guns you will ever fire , Dont take my word ask the shooters thats go one.
    I totally agree.....the best possible thing that can be done to an 80......I've got a couple.

Cheers Steve

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    yeah, reduced cylinder is the best - but doesn't have to be Vmac
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    This I would most definitely agree with.

I have a semi-bullpup '80 which was Lazaglided back in 1990 and then serviced by Steve last year. Lovely.

But standard ones, as many have stated above, are still nice and most definitely accurate and usable.

semi-bullpup 80 , any chance of a pic of that , sounds interesting

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Hi Tony,
    Have you been inside to see what it has had done? I ask as I have a MK1 80 with an early venom stock (reworked standard stock) and what I have had been advised are early venom internals. It would be good to compare mine with yours for further confirmation.
    Cheers Rich.

love all this talk of the iconic HW80 and what can be done with them , but alas no pictures to drool over

Re-worked standard stock , is that a venom one … you don't happen to have a pic of it do you ? pretty pleeeese

not the best pic but its something to look at, wonky donky short stroked 80 with a dm80 slim silencer with brass end cap...awesome.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL91.../414019885.jpg
    http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL91.../414019886.jpg

Now you're talking.

How do you find the wd short stroke? I'd like reduced hold sensitivity and felt recoil

I was going to keep standard length barrel but that mod does look ace! Are they available to buy online?

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Ah well, if it's pics of 80's you're after....

[IMG][/IMG]
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Now you're talking.

How do you find the wd short stroke? I'd like reduced hold sensitivity and felt recoil

I was going to keep standard length barrel but that mod does look ace! Are they available to buy online?

you would have to shoot it to believe it, i did the usual drop in kit like most do, it does make a difference but the WD tune is something else, its on another level.

it really does not seem hold sensitive at all, and the recoil, well you just dont notice it.

I will pm you about the silencer.