Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where have all the Rabbits gone?

Where have all the Rabbits gone?

Have you seen any in significant numbers?

A.G

secretagentmole Guest
    Hardwick Road Roundabout, King's Lynn, but none on the big permission, runs overgrown, no burrows in use on the bank, no signs of mixy anywhere or reports from the farm workers of any, might have an infestation of RHD (rabbit haemorrhagic disease)...

But cheer up, Pheasant and Partridge seasons starts Monday so into the trees..... Duck and Geese are on the go too, just see if I can get the buggers to land on the fields..
    Last edited by secretagentmole; 29-09-2018 at 09:43 AM.

rabbits

my permissions here in north hampshire hardly any at all this summer no sign of mixie. Have been asked to look at a property not far from me with suspected " a lot of baby bunnies" having alook later will let you know what I find

I've been seeing a few out in daylight & there were a few about when I was out with the NV but not as many as I was expecting.

I have found a couple dead, thinking it was the idiot neighbour poaching I skinned them looking for a wound but no sign of injury

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I've been seeing a few out in daylight & there were a few about when I was out with the NV but not as many as I was expecting.

I have found a couple dead, thinking it was the idiot neighbour poaching I skinned them looking for a wound but no sign of injury
    RHD, causes massive internal bleeding, dead bunnies, no sign of malnourishment or mixy infestation.

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    RHD, causes massive internal bleeding, dead bunnies, no sign of malnourishment or mixy infestation.
    Quite right,it accounts for our place resembling watership down, and then overnight nothing.

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    Quite right,it accounts for our place resembling watership down, and then overnight nothing.
    I am lucky I have other places I can go, now the yard apes are back in school they won't be giving riding lessons, so night vision time!

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post

Have you seen any in significant numbers?
    There were a couple being cooked up by The Hairy Bikers on 'Saturday Morning Kitchen' a few hours back, and I saw about a dozen on the grass verge just off the A12 by the Boreham junction last night around 7pm, so yep, they are about, but not as many as usual, and those that are about will become less and less visible as the Autumn rolls on ...

Last edited by Gareth W-B; 29-09-2018 at 11:16 AM. Reason: couple not coule (oops).

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Yup, been wiped out with the infection. Up to 80%!
    I’m tying to manage mine now by only shooting the mixy ones, I certainly don’t want to wipe out the entire species!

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by ian321 View Post

Yup, been wiped out with the infection. Up to 80%!
    I’m tying to manage mine now by only shooting the mixy ones, I certainly don’t want to wipe out the entire species!
    I sort of agree on many levels, but don't forget, that like the grey squirrel, the rabbit is not an indigenous species. For rabbits were introduced (albeit several centuries ago) by the last knockings of the Roman occupation as a farmed and controlled food source for their soldiers (as were stinging nettles), and once the Romans pulled out, the rabbits ran rampant (as did the stinging nettles) to the detriment of our native hares and aligned Pagan culture.

In time the rapidly reproducing rabbits pushed our native hares out of most areas, and within the last century, has seen the sanitisation of the traditions and myths of the March Hare get transformed into the sickeningly ridiculous -- and infinitely commercial -- Easter Bunny.

So would I like to see the rabbit population of our fields gone? Maybe not truth be told, although if it could be proven that the removal of the same would help re-establish our indigenous hare in significant numbers, then maybe I would have a second think?

I would loose the grey squirrels as introduced to the U.K. in the 19th Century in a flash, however, as that really would allow colonies of our native red squirrels -- who have been mostly eradicated by the presence of the North American grey -- return to our woodlands (with a little help), as currently they are now only to be found on the Isle of Wight and in areas of Scotland.

Lecture/rant over.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    I sort of agree on many levels, but don't forget, that like the grey squirrel, the rabbit is not an indigenous species. For rabbits were introduced (albeit several centuries ago) by the last knockings of the Roman occupation as a farmed and controlled food source for their soldiers (as were stinging nettles), and once the Romans pulled out, the rabbits ran rampant (as did the stinging nettles) to the detriment of our native hares and aligned Pagan culture.

In time the rapidly reproducing rabbits pushed our native hares out of most areas, and within the last century, has seen the sanitisation of the traditions and myths of the March Hare get transformed into the sickeningly ridiculous -- and infinitely commercial -- Easter Bunny.

So would I like to see the rabbit population of our fields gone? Maybe not truth be told, although if it could be proven that the removal of the same would help re-establish our indigenous hare in significant numbers, then maybe I would have a second think?

I would loose the grey squirrels as introduced to the U.K. in the 19th Century in a flash, however, as that really would allow colonies of our native red squirrels -- who have been mostly eradicated by the presence of the North American grey -- return to our woodlands (with a little help), as currently they are now only to be found on the Isle of Wight and in areas of Scotland.

Lecture/rant over.

I agree with you too, I think things have gone to far to bring back things how they used to be though, so in this case I think we’re better off doing what we’re doing by managing certain areas like people are protecting the red squirrel. Me going on a grey squirrel eradication around my neck of the woods would help the reds 0% however I’m fully behind Jerry for what he does! I do shoot greys, but not for the sake of thinking I’m helping our reds.

Plenty in North Yorkshire

Quote Originally Posted by jigs View Post
    Plenty in North Yorkshire
    There'll be a few less next weekend
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

We see quite a lot of weasels and/or stoats round here - probably more than in the past, and I guess they can do some damage in a nest of young rabbits. Also Red Kites and Buzzards have become quite obvious. I wonder if they all contribute to a downfall in numbers? Although there are still a good few around on the roadsides at night.

Quote Originally Posted by ian321 View Post
    I agree with you too, I think things have gone to far to bring back things how they used to be though, so in this case I think we’re better off doing what we’re doing by managing certain areas like people are protecting the red squirrel. Me going on a grey squirrel eradication around my neck of the woods would help the reds 0% however I’m fully behind Jerry for what he does! I do shoot greys, but not for the sake of thinking I’m helping our reds.
    I wish I could find the reference to an article (may have been BASC?) where it was explained that even by just shooting one grey squirrel in Dover, it could help the red squirrel population in Cumbria. I can't recall the details (I'm afraid I have to play the age card here) but it made logical sense.