Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where have all the Rabbits gone?

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootfish View Post

I wish I could find the reference to an article (may have been BASC?) where it was explained that even by just shooting one grey squirrel in Dover, it could help the red squirrel population in Cumbria. I can't recall the details (I'm afraid I have to play the age card here) but it made logical sense.
    If you / anyone else can remember / locate it, and post a link to it here -- or even start a fresh thread on the subject -- it would be greatly appreciated.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    RHD, causes massive internal bleeding, dead bunnies, no sign of malnourishment or mixy infestation.
    No sign of any internal damage either, they looked as good as if I'd freshly shot them

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    If you / anyone else can remember / locate it, and post a link to it here -- or even start a fresh thread on the subject -- it would be greatly appreciated.
    I have not seen the article but I would imagine that if Grey's were only culled where reds still have a foothold the surrounding areas would provide unlimited numbers of Grey's to keep migrating to the areas the reds are in. So by culling Grey's elsewhere you are reducing the population available to spread to the red stronholds. Also by keeping the population down in your area there is less need for the Grey's to seek new territory due to competion for food and territory.
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    I have not seen the article but I would imagine that if Grey's were only culled where reds still have a foothold the surrounding areas would provide unlimited numbers of Grey's to keep migrating to the areas the reds are in. So by culling Grey's elsewhere you are reducing the population available to spread to the red stronholds. Also by keeping the population down in your area there is less need for the Grey's to seek new territory due to competion for food and territory.
    Rich.
    Simple numbers, think of a family tree, 1 couple at the top but 4 or 5 generations on there might be 60+ offspring, same with animals shoot one of the original pair & the knock on effect is huge.

Which is probably also the answer to "where have all the rabbits gone" I don't know if Rabbits pair off or if 1 buck has multiple doe's but for each one shot that's the end of a breeding line.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    No sign of any internal damage either, they looked as good as if I'd freshly shot them
    rapid onset RHD can be virtually symptomless, 24 hrs and dead. Fever and brain haemorage? The visible severe long term symptoms 2-5 days.

The infection / mortality rate is more like 95% to 98% and only affects mature rabbits so one week its Watership Down then when it hits the adults and any litter over 6-8 weeks are wiped out.

Most of the rabbits on the pocket park where I walk my dog....gone in the last week. Usually a dozen or more sitting out in the open and plenty hopping off the paths (so many the dog ignores them). Second or maybe third time in 5 years, takes 18 months for some recovery then gone again.
    A tiny amount have immunity / resistance but that doesn't appear to be passed on?

iv a few on my place, not like there used to be waiting to start ferreting hope they will build up.

Been a bad year for the rabbits down here.
    The very wet winter saw an outbreak of myxi on my rabbit perm that really took its toll.

The very dry summer must also have taken its toll with little in the way of fresh grass around and most of the fields burnt brown when cut.

Its greener now and I'm seeing the odd kit around.

Been quite an odd 12 months.

I'm leaving the rabbits alone at the minute and hoping they'll recover as we go into winter then I'll have another look.
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    There'll be a few less next weekend
    Where abouts do you shoot? I shoot on land not too far from the Teesside border

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    Have you seen any in significant numbers?

A.G
    They have virtualy disappeared in lancashire had a look at a place recently that is usually full of them but no shooting. Absolutely nothing dusk into dark.
    mk2 rapid.22

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post

Rich.
    Thank you Rich, that argument stacks up with me, and makes for an interesting argument.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by keithy View Post
    They have virtualy disappeared in lancashire had a look at a place recently that is usually full of them but no shooting. Absolutely nothing dusk into dark.
    That rare round here,on Ashton Market half a dressed rabbit is £5.

rabbits??

Update, went to the property filled in some rather large tunnels coming into the old stable.over 3/4 evenings into night 2 healthy looking bunnies no little ones, still quite warm here weather wise and property surrounded by farmland with only wood fencing no rabbit deterrent wire type fencing no dead ones lying around so I wonder if it is the disease?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard c. View Post
    Update, went to the property filled in some rather large tunnels coming into the old stable.over 3/4 evenings into night 2 healthy looking bunnies no little ones, still quite warm here weather wise and property surrounded by farmland with only wood fencing no rabbit deterrent wire type fencing no dead ones lying around so I wonder if it is the disease?
    On my perm they disappeared around October last year. There about a dozen left on my perm all adults only seen two youngsters all year and they soon disappeared!!
    mk2 rapid.22

Interesting but rather sad set of reports.

A.G

2015/16 I was shooting about 300 a year and now about 150 a year.
    so number s are declining but there are still a fair few about.