Thread: Entry level benchrest scopes?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ps, for me, the 24x scope is a minimum for benchrest, but when even an original 75 has some recoil that needs to be controlled, I don’t think there is much point going higher mag on a springer.

However, the optical clarity of the old Bushnell more than makes up for it’s lack of pure power.
    Thanks - Geoff.

In the BR league i shoot in we can have a front rest only,the butt goes to the shoulder and the non trigger hand supports the underside of the stock.
    Most club members started of with scopes around 4x40x32-45 or so mag, but nearly every one found it was almost impossible to keep the scope steady enough and mostly ended up winding down to around the 14-18 times mag.
    I have glaucoma in my sighting eye and have lost around 50% of my perifferal vision and have a faint grey cloud just off centre of bull!
    I have a variety of scopes and having tried most of them the most suitable and last one i tried has turned out to be a Nikko Mountmaster 4x12x40 !The cheapest scope i had! The cross hair is heavier and i can see it clearer than the fine cross hair on an expensive 4-32 x 50 target scope,i cant equal the best but can do reasonably well to maintain my enjoyment with a league average around 95 ex 100.My rifle is a AA S400. and i use Falcon 4.52 pellets.
    I dont worry about being able to see the 2mm centre mark,i just judge where the centre is by placing the cross hair over the whole target and attempting to centre it as near vertical and horizontal as i can.
    The front glass was adjusted to give a nice sharp sight picture from 15yds.
    The most important thing is a repetitive eye relief and head position.
    Cost and big glass is not the be all and end all.
    I use a BSA Essentials 3-9 x 40 AO on my Terrus for springer BR AT 25 yds .nice and bright with a good 30-30 cross hair, and hasnt shifted since mounting it 18 months ago.
    Don.

Thanks Don, that's really great info.. I'm going to have to have a look through a few scopes till I find something I think ill br happy with...

I really appreciate all the input lads... thanks.. It's going To save me a fair bit of time..
    Donald