Thread: Entry level benchrest scopes?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    They're not for everybody. The reticle at 24x never mind 44x would be quite substantial.
    There seems to be a few interesting scopes popping up in the sales section.

Bench rest scope

Hi, i shoot both 0.22lr and air rifle benchrest. My first scope was a Bushnell 6500 Elite, unfortunately with mildot, great sight picture and easily useable for other disciplines, but the cross hairs certainly hide the dot! However, using NSRA targets, the cross hairs neatly match the numbers, giving a great aiming point.
    I recently upgraded to a sightron S2, and it's far superior for bench rest, narrow crosshairs and the dot fits inside the 2mm bull! Try and see what other club members are using, but you really need at least 20X magnification. David

Thanks David.. exactly the kind of info I'm after.. being that I'm only just trying out the benchrest discipline, and I maybe find a scope I can use elsewhere, have you ever tried or heard of anyone using the crosshairs to cradle the 2mm bull rather than cover it? In theory I can't see why it isn't an option, then again, I've never tried it
    Donald

2mm at 25m is the equivalent of 0.275 MOA.

Leupold's Target Dot reticle is 0.125 MOA. Nightforce for example do some reticles that go down as far as 0.016 MOA. Plenty to chose from however that may be limited with your budget.

Google the reticle subtension for various scopes and see what will work.

Just remember on a SFP scope, the mag which the subtension is quoted at may not be the max mag, therefore it may appear thinner than quoted when at maximum.

On a FFP then it will be correct regardless of the mag.

Sorry if that comes across as teaching you to suck eggs

Not at all mate.. just more facts for me to digest... I must admit, I'm no scope aficionados... I don't think I've ever spent more than 100 quid on a scope and I only got my first scope, a 4x20 bsa on my .22 Mercury around 1993! I don't think I got a variable mag for another 10 years! I've always liked open sights.
    Now I find myself on a learning curve and will take all advice. I can see a market for custom reticle, and I don't know why we can't order our own direct from manufacturers even at the lower price level. I feel like there is a real lack of reticle available. I like the half mildot and I like some of the classic gets like the A7 and L7 , as well as the plain fine crosshair.

Surely there's folks out there with a good idea for a reticle that would work for them.. how hard would it be to lay it out in an image format and Have The machine etch it ?
    Donald

In a perfect world its easily done, but manufacturing firms typically build in batches based on what they forecast the market to be which makes customisation complex.

There should be plenty of choices out there but the hard part is often finding out the specifics for each scope/reticle to be able to do the maths!

I shot an original 75 last year, with a Bushnell 6-24x40 front AO scope. Won springer class at the club with the setup.
    The long scope helps the scope Bell be forward of the loading port, so more space under the scope.

I have also used old tasco 32x, a tasco custom shop 10-40x, optimate 36x44 all of which were £150 or less.

The optimate was later badged as a weaver.

I still use the Bushnell on my TX200 springer.
    Thanks - Geoff.

That's an encouraging post Geoff!!!! Thanks mate.. I'll have a look at those scopes as well... I have several auction bay alerts set up already!
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post
    I shot an original 75 last year, with a Bushnell 6-24x40 front AO scope. Won springer class at the club with the setup.
    The long scope helps the scope Bell be forward of the loading port, so more space under the scope.

I have also used old tasco 32x, a tasco custom shop 10-40x, optimate 36x44 all of which were £150 or less.

The optimate was later badged as a weaver.

I still use the Bushnell on my TX200 springer.
    Geoff
    In your world, how do Springer scores compare to PCP results, I shoot BR for fun at my local range, I use bean bag as a front rest and non trigger hand for rear.
    I have managed to score 240 for PCP and 220 for springer, nothing to shout about but I basically shoot my guns against each other