Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Entry level benchrest scopes?

In a perfect world its easily done, but manufacturing firms typically build in batches based on what they forecast the market to be which makes customisation complex.

There should be plenty of choices out there but the hard part is often finding out the specifics for each scope/reticle to be able to do the maths!

I shot an original 75 last year, with a Bushnell 6-24x40 front AO scope. Won springer class at the club with the setup.
    The long scope helps the scope Bell be forward of the loading port, so more space under the scope.

I have also used old tasco 32x, a tasco custom shop 10-40x, optimate 36x44 all of which were £150 or less.

The optimate was later badged as a weaver.

I still use the Bushnell on my TX200 springer.
    Thanks - Geoff.

That's an encouraging post Geoff!!!! Thanks mate.. I'll have a look at those scopes as well... I have several auction bay alerts set up already!
    Donald

Ps, for me, the 24x scope is a minimum for benchrest, but when even an original 75 has some recoil that needs to be controlled, I don’t think there is much point going higher mag on a springer.

However, the optical clarity of the old Bushnell more than makes up for it’s lack of pure power.
    Thanks - Geoff.

In the BR league i shoot in we can have a front rest only,the butt goes to the shoulder and the non trigger hand supports the underside of the stock.
    Most club members started of with scopes around 4x40x32-45 or so mag, but nearly every one found it was almost impossible to keep the scope steady enough and mostly ended up winding down to around the 14-18 times mag.
    I have glaucoma in my sighting eye and have lost around 50% of my perifferal vision and have a faint grey cloud just off centre of bull!
    I have a variety of scopes and having tried most of them the most suitable and last one i tried has turned out to be a Nikko Mountmaster 4x12x40 !The cheapest scope i had! The cross hair is heavier and i can see it clearer than the fine cross hair on an expensive 4-32 x 50 target scope,i cant equal the best but can do reasonably well to maintain my enjoyment with a league average around 95 ex 100.My rifle is a AA S400. and i use Falcon 4.52 pellets.
    I dont worry about being able to see the 2mm centre mark,i just judge where the centre is by placing the cross hair over the whole target and attempting to centre it as near vertical and horizontal as i can.
    The front glass was adjusted to give a nice sharp sight picture from 15yds.
    The most important thing is a repetitive eye relief and head position.
    Cost and big glass is not the be all and end all.
    I use a BSA Essentials 3-9 x 40 AO on my Terrus for springer BR AT 25 yds .nice and bright with a good 30-30 cross hair, and hasnt shifted since mounting it 18 months ago.
    Don.

Thanks Don, that's really great info.. I'm going to have to have a look through a few scopes till I find something I think ill br happy with...

I really appreciate all the input lads... thanks.. It's going To save me a fair bit of time..
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post
    I shot an original 75 last year, with a Bushnell 6-24x40 front AO scope. Won springer class at the club with the setup.
    The long scope helps the scope Bell be forward of the loading port, so more space under the scope.

I have also used old tasco 32x, a tasco custom shop 10-40x, optimate 36x44 all of which were £150 or less.

The optimate was later badged as a weaver.

I still use the Bushnell on my TX200 springer.
    Geoff
    In your world, how do Springer scores compare to PCP results, I shoot BR for fun at my local range, I use bean bag as a front rest and non trigger hand for rear.
    I have managed to score 240 for PCP and 220 for springer, nothing to shout about but I basically shoot my guns against each other

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Kennett View Post
    Geoff
    In your world, how do Springer scores compare to PCP results, I shoot BR for fun at my local range, I use bean bag as a front rest and non trigger hand for rear.
    I have managed to score 240 for PCP and 220 for springer, nothing to shout about but I basically shoot my guns against each other
    I think your doing pretty well with the springer by comparison with the PCP :-)

A lot of springer scores seem to be well off the mark in comparison to a PCP, the key with a springer is still the hold, hard rest, soft rest, front grip, rear only, it drove me nuts! And that was with FWB300s and Original 75s which are supposed to be re-coilless... Im just sticking to a TX200 now, sure its got recoil, but its more consistant in a true springer kind of way, and more joy hitting a 10 when they come.
    Thanks - Geoff.

There's a tasco custom shop 10-40x56 on the bay just now, mays of London is selling... looking at it for about 100 quid.. any good or is it a bit of a chance?
    Donald

Good enough scope, especially for £100.
    They are quite “large” but that’s ok on a BR rifle.
    It will get you going no problem :-)
    Thanks - Geoff.

I watched it go for 137
    Donald

Benchrest scope

Have used the tasco custom shop 10-40x56 and found it worked well but really large. A fellow club member uses the sightron sll 36x42 and having looked through it was very impressed. Very clear optics and fine cross hairs and target dot. Would be worth considering.

Still good value for 137, where can you get a 40x scope for that?
    Thanks - Geoff.

There's another coming up, but I need to get my budget in order!
    Donald