Thread: Remington Marlin issues

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I use lead bullets in my micro grooved 1894 357 Marlin made in 1984 as it happens. It’s conditioned for land use on open ticket and target for club use. I tumble lube .358 swc (rcbs mold) in lee alox and shoot them unsized with great results up to around 1600 fps with no evidence of leading. I use medium hard lead, range pickup which is around 12 on the bhs in line with Elmer Keith’s teachings.

I have found when I’ve slugged a few barrels that Rossi 38s tend to measure .356 to .357 where the Marlins are more .357 358 so a fat bullet works best. Lee mold bullets shoot like s..t in it. It could be they are too slim to properly grip the rifling.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

The "W"

Stock on my gun is def birch, very light stain....initially, the W models had laminated stocks, dark stain...still a bit of a mystery, what the W stands for. I may have a go at putting a darker stain on my W model. Woodwork is coated with "Marshield"
    which is some form of matte varnish...

The W model is not a thing of beauty....as long as it shoots well I am not bothered. Just love the cartridge...

amc577