Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is a Pro Sport related to a Venom Mach 2?

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

The TX trigger is allegedly called “CD” because it was “computer designed”. Most of us think it was called CD because a CD was better than a record (Rekord, get it?).
    Yep, the latter as above in bold as the original owner/founder/proprietor of Air Arms (R.I.P.), actually confirmed to me back in the naughties when asked while I researched, wrote, and had published in Air Gun World (for I was a semi regular scribe for the same at that time), a potted history of the TX200 et al to coincide with the TX's 25th anniversary since inception (buggered if I can remember the issue number/date of the issue in question however), so not urban myth, but actual fact as confirmed by the man himself ... Guess their next trigger will be called the DL (Down Load ) ...

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Yep, the latter as above in bold as the original owner/founder/proprietor of Air Arms (R.I.P.), actually confirmed to me back in the naughties when asked while I researched, wrote, and had published in Air Gun World (for I was a semi regular scribe for the same at that time), a potted history of the TX200 et al to coincide with the TX's 25th anniversary since inception (buggered if I can remember the issue number/date of the issue in question however), so not urban myth, but actual fact as confirmed by the man himself ... Guess their next trigger will be called the DL (Down Load ) ...
    Thanks, Gareth.

Maybe it will be called The Cloud, or Blockchain?

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire

Thanks, Gareth.

Maybe it will be called The Cloud, or Blockchain?
    You are welcome my friend (but I still favour the next trigger being called the DL lol ).

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Fascinating stuff
    Thanks chaps
    Good deals with:
    Dunn220, Leon, Bullcelt, stink£r, u.k.neil, supersharpshoot, william and airgun god, GEORGEY, telgun, Simon P and stubbs4612, Wellhouse0, harpo

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

The fact that most, though not all, serious shooters prefer the TX to the PS (that’s a whole other thread, done to death already) suggests that the Mach2/PS design may optimise looks and novelty over functionality. I don’t know. Never had either, so can’t offer informed comment.
    Ja ja, correct. The weight is further back in the PS and cocking is more awkward. The ProSport is prettier, the TX is easier to live with, both have the same superb performance in practised hands.

Note how Weihrauch have yet to lock an HW97 in a blueing bath with a Falke 80 to produce their own elegant hidden-lever rifle. They'd rather just sell 77s and 97s.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotherham Owl View Post
    I am aware that the "T" is for Turner but never heard or read anywhere about the rest. Where did the info come from?
    From the great man himself-when we used to shoot together.
    Never go off half cocked....

All lies matter

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBuzz View Post
    The Mac 1 and 2 were both designed and built by Ken Turner, with input from Dave and Ivan.

Thats why it was possible for Ken to take his designs to Air Arms without things becoming litigious.
    This was my understanding of the sequence of events as well.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Quote Originally Posted by nurek View Post
    [...] I'll add some links tomorrow to back this up.
    Here is an AGW article from the 1980's, where Ken Turner mentions his first airgun that he made in 1981:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rhvib97m96...urner.pdf?dl=0

It was completed in 1982, I know this, as I own it and it has a date stamped on it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1we2g0wnhr...15413.jpg?dl=0

As mentioned in the article, Ken started making his first break barrel from scratch that year with a barrel latch (like the Mach 1), and steel shims on each side of the breech bolt and pivot bolt (Sound familiar? This was an improvement made by Venom to the HW80s, and probably used on the Mach 1). In 1982 I believe Ken made an underlever prototype similar to the ProSport, hence predating Venom Mach 1 or 2.

I am basing the dates on Geezer's post, can anyone confirm exactly when Mach 1 and 2 were first produced?

Some great info coming up on this thread. I'll be editing the Pro Sport info on my site!

Gareth, I'll post a link to your article later.

Yup ... Great info indeed.

I'm enjoying the thread. Many thanks to the contributors.

This has been a really interesting thread, keep it coming

That pump up looks a very neat piece of work
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Dynamite thread this.

Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by nurek View Post
    Here is an AGW article from the 1980's, where Ken Turner mentions his first airgun that he made in 1981:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rhvib97m96...urner.pdf?dl=0

It was completed in 1982, I know this, as I own it and it has a date stamped on it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1we2g0wnhr...15413.jpg?dl=0

As mentioned in the article, Ken started making his first break barrel from scratch that year with a barrel latch (like the Mach 1), and steel shims on each side of the breech bolt and pivot bolt (Sound familiar? This was an improvement made by Venom to the HW80s, and probably used on the Mach 1). In 1982 I believe Ken made an underlever prototype similar to the ProSport, hence predating Venom Mach 1 or 2.

I am basing the dates on Geezer's post, can anyone confirm exactly when Mach 1 and 2 were first produced?
    That's interesting
    He talks about using delrin pegs on the piston to eliminate metal to metal contact.
    Was this the first gun to have such bearings?
    And also using an ox Spring!!
    There's me thinking delrin was a fairly recent idea
    Good deals with:
    Dunn220, Leon, Bullcelt, stink£r, u.k.neil, supersharpshoot, william and airgun god, GEORGEY, telgun, Simon P and stubbs4612, Wellhouse0, harpo

Mach's

The Mac 1 and 2 were both designed and built by Ken Turner, with input from Dave and Ivan.

KT DID NOT design and build the Mach 1's or Mach 2's he worked for a company that Dave and Ivan approached to build these wonder guns. They sent the designs and the company produce parts and then the venom team built them at the gun barrel works. CD stands for Copied Design as they copied the Mach 1 trigger for the first examples of this trigger.

Mach 1 was introduced 1987 and only 17 made. Mach 2 produced around 1990 and only 8 produced. Trooper Walsh first approached venom in 1987 to produce a wonder lever hence the Mach 2 was first thought of in 1987.
    Mach 1.5

The plot thickens....