Thread: Honest restorations?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Honest restorations?

It could be argued that any restoration at all is dishonest as it is no longer the original gun, but obviously even maintenance is not the "original" gun.
    I plink with my guns and if they are scruffy but working that is fine with me.
    When I started to mess again with the old stuff 10 years or so ago, I did buy a lot of rough guns and I did tart a few of them up a bit, but this was only really if the stocks had been tar brushed or damaged or if the gun had been tar brushed or was really rusty. Back in those days, I thought sitting on the back doorstep sanding a stock for a few evenings might help with my crap arms (IT DIDN'T!) and the same with rubbing down metal work. I have given a few stocks an oil finish (mainly linseed oil) and varnished a few. I have also attacked a few with a blowlamp to pattern them. However pretty much all of this was done on really rough things like Relums, Meteors and Diana 22 /25s that were ROUGH! A few rough guns were finished in Platicote but these were for a couple of people who use the guns for hunting.
    After learning a few things and gettng a couple of decent results with oil/varnish and G96 Blue, I pretty much stopped doing it on anythng else. I have cleaned off the worst of the rust and given a gun a "wash" of G96 or Plum Brown, but this was just over the worst bits and even the original sweat marks were visiable on the metal work.
    I have used wire wool and oil to clean up some rusty metalwork and I quite like the brown colour.
    As these things were only for me I have never really had a problem with it.
    However what if someone polishes and refinishes a gun? I am talking here really about cold blue even though a hot blued gun is restored.
    If a tatty gun is polished up and refinished with cold blue and then punted out, mainly without stating it has been refinished, is it honest? Most "Collectors" would think something was wrong to see blue in good condition on some oldies, but somebody who just wants an "old gun" might be decieved. At some point (no matter how well cold bluing is done) , the blue will wear and somebody might be upset---------or they might think "Bloody hell those old guns had crap bluing!" .

What do you do with your guns and what do you reckon to these restorations?
    Last edited by ggggr; 07-03-2019 at 10:14 AM.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"