Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New FWB Sport?

New FWB Sport?

This might be a post for the 'General' section but given there are so many FWB collectors, here, it might be of greater interest to those on the 'Collectibles' section.

I noticed on the Feinwerkbau website this reference to a new Sport:

https://www.feinwerkbau.de/en/Sporti...EW-Model-Sport

I have a feeling I have seen some reference to this before - perhaps somewhere on this site. I also noted, from the links within the website page, above, that the calibre is only 177 and the energy was denoted in joules rather than ft/lb (I think they said 7j and 18j). This might only be a rifle for the German and USA markets. On the other hand, given the size of the UK market, perhaps a UK version is in prospect?

Anyone know anything?

On the same tack, what has become of the long awaited new Sterling springer? Has this died a death? I rather doubt there was much demand for their copy of the Webley Mk2, not least due to the suggested price.

Introduced in 2014. Not officially imported to the U.K. Does not appear to have been a great success, in part due to its very high price.

A couple of members have imported or obtained the odd one. Loads to love about the classics but the new modeling of the stock is a little too Germanic and angular for many tastes. The price once over here isn't so attractive either.
    I'm unsure what mechanically they have done if anything. Losing the sling attachment is to me a real loss. For a modern Sport it really needs to add something extra and have some of the more advanced springer features to be more than just a remodeling of the old system. Improvement of the trigger would be one. A glided or full guided innards might be possite. However I don't think there is anything this has that the old didn't. The old classic looks better too.

The basic question is what does it bring to the table that a HW95 doesn't?

I too would like to know more.

I discovered this online:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNXS16fTToY&t=1183s

It is an interesting video in itself but at the end they review the FWB (a few minutes before the end of the video) and the commentator refers to the possibility that the new Sport will be introduced into the UK, albeit at a price.

I wonder if the lock-up mechanism has been improved.

Mach 1.5 very kindly brought his to the last bash and it's an absolute cracker. The feel and fit of the rifle are very good when handling the angularity is actually very good ergonomic design not everyone's cup of tea but definitely mine .

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefan View Post
    Mach 1.5 very kindly brought his to the last bash and it's an absolute cracker. The feel and fit of the rifle are very good when handling the angularity is actually very good ergonomic design not everyone's cup of tea but definitely mine .
    I must agree.
    I too had a little go with this rifle and it was exceptional.
    I have a MK1 which after an extensive refurb stands me about the same price as the new model would.
    If I had the available funds I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Thanks for that, Bluefan and gtfreight; now I am even more curious. But from where did Mach 1.5 get his? Is there an importer? And what about the power? At 18 joules, this sounds as if it is over the 12ft/lb limit.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Thanks for that, Bluefan and gtfreight; now I am even more curious. But from where did Mach 1.5 get his? Is there an importer? And what about the power? At 18 joules, this sounds as if it is over the 12ft/lb limit.
    He bought the 7.5 joules German low power version as a private import and modified it up to 11ish, I think. That would be the sensible thing to do.

There is a long Pyramidair blog review on the US version that you might like to look at.

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/?s=F...u+Sport&btnGo=

Very interesting Geezer, thanks - I read all eight reports in the series.

"The trigger is good, which helps a lot, but being a breakbarrel means the rifle has to be held as lightly as possible, which can be tiresome."

Any idea why a break-barrel should require a lighter hold? Surely, assuming the lock-up is good, as it is with this rifle, the hold does not make any difference between a break-barrel and an underlever?

The next question is whether the FWB Sport will be adapted for this market - presumably not a difficult operation. However, I also noted that it is only available in 177.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Very interesting Geezer, thanks - I read all eight reports in the series.

"The trigger is good, which helps a lot, but being a breakbarrel means the rifle has to be held as lightly as possible, which can be tiresome."

Any idea why a break-barrel should require a lighter hold? Surely, assuming the lock-up is good, as it is with this rifle, the hold does not make any difference between a break-barrel and an underlever?

The next question is whether the FWB Sport will be adapted for this market - presumably not a difficult operation. However, I also noted that it is only available in 177.
    You are right. I think Tom (“BB”) means it has less forward weight than, say, an HW77, so needs a careful use of the artillery hold.

The market here for a beech-stocked factory high quality break barrel that would sell for at least £500, maybe £600, and isn’t objectively better than a tuned HW or an Umarex Walther LGV is about seven people, at least two of whom already have one.

These folks imported some new Sports :-

http://www.centrauksurrey.co.uk/about-us.php

They gave one to a well known tuner to get him to see what work would be involved in altering the gun specially for the UK market.
    Unfortunately I turned down the opportunity of shooting the resulting gun at the Boinger Bash as at the time I had just repainted the targets and didn't want to get paint on the woodwork --- I think TonyL had a go with it though.

FWB Sport

VMach imported mine a couple of years ago now and fitted one of their springs to bring the power up to 11.4 instead of the 5.6 ft lb it was doing. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    VMach imported mine a couple of years ago now and fitted one of their springs to bring the power up to 11.4 instead of the 5.6 ft lb it was doing. Mach 1.5
    The million dollar questions: how does it compare with the old sport, in terms of accuracy, handling, open sights, lock-up, etc?

FWB Sport

How does it compare? Very well. Looks not to everyone but the lockup is far better than the old ones and trigger is better, accuracy and open sights are also FWB standard. Mach 1.5

Thanks for that. I wonder if they will introduce it into the UK and at what price. I am rather tempted and rather like the new look, minor thought that point is.