Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever bought something that you've never used???

Ever bought something that you've never used???

Just sat here thinking about the kit I have and to be fair makes me wonder if I'm turning into a collector or am still a shooter?

Bought a Daystate cr97se a few week ago, always wanted one took me past 15 years to finally get one...not shot it yet.

Back when I got back into shooting ft I used a 35 mag leup old mkiv and heard about two 40 mag mkiv scopes that were built from leupold ultra 20 mag scopes for nick jenkinson...managed to track one down a few years ago and bought it...think I've used that once.

Thing is they're all superb bits of kit but don't know if I prefer the chase of finding the kit or what?

So is there anything you guys have bought but never actually used?

Matt

aimless Guest

twin

Hi Matt,
    bought the 300SU mint and boxed-never used her.

So I decided to buy another one to shoot. Now I am collector and shooter ;-)

atb Jochen

I have an HW80 and an HW77 that I've never fired. I bought them two years ago. Does that count?

aimless Guest
    IMHO: counts

"you (we) never walk alone"

Guess many others will present boxed treasures...

Some mint items, bought because they were mint and for being mint have an appeal of their very own.
    Plenty of used rifles to be had to shoot.
    I often buy two of things, though the spare sits about for a long time.

A few items I've bought and rarely get used because either the idea didn't work out or just not found the time. I haven't used my duck decoys in years as I've moved away from the washes where I used to do my wildfowling.

Most of mine i've only fired one or two pellets through to make sure they do shoot!, I have a few that i've not shot at all yet!

This being one!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

I have several not used. I just tell myself to get a grip and enjoy looking at them, like paintings really, but, these (air-rifles) can be picked up, stroked, the smell and caressed. We are a long time dead, just enjoy.....

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    You just put pictures of that hideous thing up to taunt me John, didn't you.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

I am more a collector than shooter. Most of mine never been out of the house. I have 8 yes 8 simmons pro air scopes.they just stay mounted on guns to complete the look.

I rarely shoot any of my collectable items, and have purchased load of things which have never been shot since date of purchase. One prime example of this is a pair of Diana Mauser K98's in 0.177 cal. I so liked the first one that I brought an identical twin, put five shots through it, felt enormously guilty and haven't touched it since for at least a year or two.

Vic Thompson.

Gosh, John, I just realised the Wildlife was allegedly available in .25”.

Bought things I haven’t used, or have hardly used? Yes. A few guns (I count four, maybe five - just haven’t got round to using them, right, and they were cheap?). Scopes (bargain, I’m sure I’ll find a use some day). Knives, don’t get me started. And random bits and spares for a rainy day or because I thought they were good value. Books I haven’t (yet...) read.

Some day I’ll learn.

Actually, I have got better in the last few years. A few years ago I would definitely have bought a Wildlife, just because. Now it’s downgraded to maybe, at the right price, and only in .25”. 😀

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    You just put pictures of that hideous thing up to taunt me John, didn't you.

Dave
    Ha ha!!

Sorry Dave, I'd forgotten that you liked strange things!! (Yeah, I know the shag carpet was just as fugly too!!)
    It's a bit like my mums old Chinese Crested Hairless dog, Butt ugly but so ugly that she was beautiful!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

So ugly only a mother could love, though the Wildlife might test even the mother of it
    Some of the ugly things become quite collectable and gain a premium.....some don't

I do think there is something special in mint 80's rifles. One reason is few wear well and just get tatty rather than build a patina that holds history/love.
    There are quite a few gun collectors that don't really shoot much. Violin makers who can't play. Whatever rocks your boat, its fun so keep it that way.
    I do shoot but the amount of rifles that shoot "average" is enormous. For a shooter its finding a rifle that delivers above "average". I did a few years ago buy the guns fantastic that I lusted after as a boy. Well that exercise popped that bubble. I just kept the ones I always liked

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    I did a few years ago buy the guns fantastic that I lusted after as a boy. Well that exercise popped that bubble. I just kept the ones I always liked
    Done a bit of that myself. Just haven’t offloaded the disappointing ones: e.g. Sterling HR81, Webley Tracker. Oddly, I still like them.

Good fun though finding out. Factory twangers most of them. How very spoilt we are now with so many good out of the box rifles and the knowledge to tune up further.
    Its why so many 80's rifles are best mint in box! That way they keep the gloss of the hype, and are the finely tuned sniper rifles of our dreams.

The 300SU is gorgeous. A piece of target shooting history. They shoot so well for the 10m shooting they were designed for. There are a few about if you want to shoot one. With my back problem I can't shoot that discipline any longer. The Original 66 is the other great paper puncher of those times, though not as great as the FWB.
    Last edited by Muskett; 08-10-2018 at 11:27 AM.