Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WHY do rapids bring silly money now

WHY do rapids bring silly money now

WHY do rapids bring silly money now they seem to bring more now then when they were made new, is it me but all the lads i new that used them because of power and easy to work on , they have no filler gauge on and look very dated, and i have had lots over the years and they are canny guns but its the silly money that shocks me every time, we have moved on now look at the quality guns you can buy for the silly money they ask for a rapid , ATB FIFE.
    Last edited by fife; 07-10-2018 at 12:54 PM.

If we've moved on so far what has replaced it ?

Basic, simple to work on, huge shot count, highly accurate, superb ergonomics & British made.

The modern equivalent top rifle is £1300-£1800, so a rapid at £500-£700 still looks like a good choice to me.

Market driven. As long as people keep paying the high prices for them you would be silly to advertise one for less if you had one to sell. I agree, even tatty, tinkered with MK1's are fetching £500 or more. However pitted against some of the more modern stuff at over £1000 some might think an excellent condition second hand Rapid at £750 a good deal.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

Skipton on a farm on the moors with 100s of sheep
    Never liked them when they 1st came out the main reason been the big buddy bottle on the front, But after shooting one things changed fast i now have three and just love them, I have an early mk1 in .22 with profile stock No 002280 a late mk1 in .22 with a ambi stock No 020161 and one of the very last rapids made also in .22 cal with the scalloped block and sentinel ambi stock No 026428 PS I would put a photo of them to share with you all but i have not got a clue how to do it but if one of you good kind people pm me i can send you a photo to put on kind regards Steve
    Last edited by Top Gun FX2000; 07-10-2018 at 02:24 PM.
    "IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE, DO PENCILS MISSPELL WORDS ?"

I have an ad in wanted for an untampered with example. I must admit I thought they were pants when they first appeared on the market and the ugliest rifle I had ever seen but now I really like the late Mk1 and the Mk2. They are easy to work on (once you have taken on board all the advice and help that's available), accurate, reliable, high shot count and handle well. Yes they have their downside, the biggest being that a lot of examples have been trashed internally and it is pretty difficult if not impossible to tell when buying one unless you can really try it out, but I think they have many more positives than negatives. I agree prices have gone crazy though, and I wouldn't pay anywhere near some of the prices being asked for some untampered with examples, but I would happily pay reasonable money for one and agree very closely with Angrybears take on prices. Like everything they are only worth what people are prepared to pay

british made guns very accurat

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    If we've moved on so far what has replaced it ?

Basic, simple to work on, huge shot count, highly accurate, superb ergonomics & British made.

The modern equivalent top rifle is £1300-£1800, so a rapid at £500-£700 still looks like a good choice to me.
    HI All, there are british made guns very accurat with a buddy bottel even a air gauge on lol, and not £1300 -£1800 ,and look a lot nicer but it was the price, I found 10 or more yrs ago what rapids that was about had been well tamped with one way or another but its the price , I often wonder why thoben when bust ,and you cannot blame who took them over,atb fife

Agree the prices are going up...and I think most has been said about them.....the untouched examples are getting rarer. Unless you are a collector it's almost worth getting a tatty example and having the shed tuning wizards work on them to bring them up to what they should be. Even untouched examples aren't the best they can be...Theoben QC wasn't all that, so having the parts paired with the block (or new machined parts) means that they can pretty much match anything out there today.

Thanks
    Tim B

well put

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_B View Post
    Agree the prices are going up...and I think most has been said about them.....the untouched examples are getting rarer. Unless you are a collector it's almost worth getting a tatty example and having the shed tuning wizards work on them to bring them up to what they should be. Even untouched examples aren't the best they can be...Theoben QC wasn't all that, so having the parts paired with the block (or new machined parts) means that they can pretty much match anything out there today.

Thanks
    Tim B
    well put tim.

Personally I have gone back to Rapids due to disapointment with the current crop of rifles, which seem to be universally gaining in price, and diminishing in quality. A well set up Rapid is as accurate as any sporter available on the new market and more reliable to boot. Maintenance or fixing any problems is cheap and simple and they can be a great basis for a custom build if thats your thing.

I love them and as mentioned a good one is still less than a lot of the generic tat flooding the market these days

Andy..

Same as land rover defender, bomb proof and does what it says on the tin, couple that with no more being made, god I wish I had hung onto my defenders and rapids 🙄

rapids

Quote Originally Posted by Mole trapper View Post
    Same as land rover defender, bomb proof and does what it says on the tin, couple that with no more being made, god I wish I had hung onto my defenders and rapids 🙄
    They dont make landrover any more now like the rapids lol. my brother in law has one when its not back in the garage getting fixed , i could go on and on . whats the point cold rattly uncomfortable and numb apart from that they look ok but like the rapids shot up in price.lol atb bob.

Heads Up

Now I might be shooting myself in the foot here (as I'm looking for one) but I've just seen one on Freead's, only went up an hour ago. Because it's on Freead's, and not from a forum member, I would want to view before I bought. This one is in Brecon and it's just too far for me to travel but at £460 it's got to be a bargain if it's not a scammer

I have sold really nice examples of Mk1 rapids in the last few months and they struggle to sell over 500, I have also got a few mk2’s and mfrs that i will be selling soon but not sure if to wait until after Xmas

Skipton on a farm on the moors with 100s of sheep
    Quote Originally Posted by ken69 View Post
    Now I might be shooting myself in the foot here (as I'm looking for one) but I've just seen one on Freead's, only went up an hour ago. Because it's on Freead's, and not from a forum member, I would want to view before I bought. This one is in Brecon and it's just too far for me to travel but at £460 it's got to be a bargain if it's not a scammer
    WOW that sold fast Ken just had a look not showing for sale on freead's, anymore, They sure do seem to be selling very well at the moment. I did pick up a nice fairly early mk1 .22 with a right hand Tyrolean stock No 002280 on Gun star for sale at York guns a few months ago for £395 the block & internals had not been messed with, But the stock was no good to me as i am a leftie but i did a straight swap for an early mk1 profile stock made from a nice piece of that African shedua wood that Theoben used on a few stocks before it was banned from been exported, I have some photos of it and my two other rapids if any of you kind people could pm me and post them for me as i have not got a clue how to post a picture
    Last edited by Top Gun FX2000; 07-10-2018 at 08:29 PM.
    "IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE, DO PENCILS MISSPELL WORDS ?"

If it was as described someone got a bargain there