Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: WHY do rapids bring silly money now

Quote Originally Posted by mick avery View Post

There you go , the r7oc gun build for charity 2018
    Is that the Dr Bob Vendetta block

Yes, dr bobs, ambi block, ambi bolt and ambi stock.

Looks loads better in the flesh.

Bb

If we are all honest they sold so well precisely because they were so easy to turn up.

That’s why it’s so difficult to find one that’s in original spec.

Everyone knew it and no one did anything to make it more difficult.
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    If we are all honest they sold so well precisely because they were so easy to turn up.

That’s why it’s so difficult to find one that’s in original spec.

Everyone knew it and no one did anything to make it more difficult.
    What, the same as ever other gun you mean?

None of mine are original spec, they are all better, you are more than welcome to pop over and try one, any time you like, don’t forget to bring a chrono with you, I think you may be in for a shock.

Bb

kevG is offline Longest unaltered member...
    I dare say a see the most rapids in the country.yes plenty been tamperd with but there are plenty about thats in original spec.apart from general service needs.which all guns need over time. any gun is easy to turn up at the end of the day.
    kevG

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Ooh... how much are Bob's blocks ? I recall him starting that project a couple of years back but never knew they made it to production...

PS I've had all manner of decent PCPs, all sold on, but I still have a pair of mk1 rapids in each cal. They just work
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Ooh... how much are Bob's blocks ? I recall him starting that project a couple of years back but never knew they made it to production...

PS I've had all manner of decent PCPs, all sold on, but I still have a pair of mk1 rapids in each cal. They just work

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post

He had 20 blocks in the first run, I am not 100% sure but another batch are due very soon, he also makes mk4 trigger cassettes, pinch bolts and mags, that should make sourcing the rest of the parts easier.

There are some advantages to the new blocks.
    twin pinch bolts and a ball indent for quick, repeatable barrel changes.
    Bigger pre and valve chamber volume. (Big advantages in fac particularly high power fac)
    Weaver rail for repeatable scope and nv fitment and use of readily available mounts.

What I am not 100% convinced about is the ambi configuration, yes is does mean it can be used either way but I am right handed so will never use that left handed. A simple cNc programme could rattle of say 40 right and 10 left handed versions at the flick of a switch.

The other thing to consider is the block is 15mm longer so the bottle sticks 15mm further forward in the stock. Fine if you have a mfr stock or a custom made. Swapping over to a 480cc carbon buddy bottle does bring it back closer.

I have to say, the custom raffle gun did shoot nice.

Bb

Quote Originally Posted by bucketboy View Post
    He had 20 blocks in the first run, I am not 100% sure but another batch are due very soon, he also makes mk4 trigger cassettes, pinch bolts and mags, that should make sourcing the rest of the parts easier.

There are some advantages to the new blocks.
    twin pinch bolts and a ball indent for quick, repeatable barrel changes.
    Bigger pre and valve chamber volume. (Big advantages in fac particularly high power fac)
    Weaver rail for repeatable scope and nv fitment and use of readily available mounts.

What I am not 100% convinced about is the ambi configuration, yes is does mean it can be used either way but I am right handed so will never use that left handed. A simple cNc programme could rattle of say 40 right and 10 left handed versions at the flick of a switch.

The other thing to consider is the block is 15mm longer so the bottle sticks 15mm further forward in the stock. Fine if you have a mfr stock or a custom made. Swapping over to a 480cc carbon buddy bottle does bring it back closer.

I have to say, the custom raffle gun did shoot nice.

Bb
    I should think so Pete, you built it !!!
    The Early Bird May Get The Worm, But It's The Second Mouse That Gets The Cheese !!

Thanks for the info BB

Did he build the elevation into the rail too ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Must be the hype created in the US, in my opinion even those new models are ugly and from the 80ies technology, I just hate that type of magazine...

Quote Originally Posted by krisko View Post
    Must be the hype created in the US, in my opinion even those new models are ugly and from the 80ies technology, I just hate that type of magazine...
    These mags are still in front of many new pcps sustems, easy loading and self indexing, they keep ammo clean whilst hunting and prevent dry shots with a blanking plate stopping probe from entering breach without a pellet

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

Quote Originally Posted by 32:1 View Post
    These mags are still in front of many new pcps sustems, easy loading and self indexing, they keep ammo clean whilst hunting and prevent dry shots with a blanking plate stopping probe from entering breach without a pellet

Chris
    yeah, I like 'em.. and I prefer the 7 shot ones too. Old dog new tricks...

Quote Originally Posted by krisko View Post
    Yet lots of us would say that's the best design of Mag out there, I've never seen a better one

They may well be old "tech" but it works & is user serviceable, I'd rather have my old Rapids than any other airgun on the market today,
    As for Ugly compared to many of the modern offerings like the god awful new FX's or these "bullpup" things a MK2 is a work of art.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Yet lots of us would say that's the best design of Mag out there, I've never seen a better one

They may well be old "tech" but it works & is user serviceable, I'd rather have my old Rapids than any other airgun on the market today,
    As for Ugly compared to many of the modern offerings like the god awful new FX's or these "bullpup" things a MK2 is a work of art.