Thread: Shooting Jacket Sizes.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Zooma,

The lycra gussets at the elbows and armpits are there to provide flexibility. Most European branded shooting jackets are intended for 3-P shooting, and flexibility is useful, especially in Kneeling, but also in Prone. My old Anschutz Fusion has a gusset near the top of the right sleeve to prevent it riding up in prone, if the right shoulder is high. Elbow gussets also prevent the sling twisting the whole sleeve, and are just more comfortable if the sleeve is properly tailored. As I mentioned before, really baggy sleeves aren't desirable for the sling positions. A closer fit around the elbow lessens movement, both of the arm in the sleeve, and the sleeve on the floor. Some brands are cut tighter than others, but few (if any) are cut as wide as a standard size.

I've seen a few Hitex made-to-measure jackets, and the sleeves are often a close fit. It's quite possible this is a design feature of all their jackets. It's also possible the sleeves were tailored; TenPointNine Tailoring were Hitex's UK dealer for several years, and would tweak(or even rebuild) standard size jackets. Hitex are quite well regarded, probably more so than Gehmann today; the Gehmann sells because it's affordable, not because it's a brilliant design.

A sweatshirt isn't the ideal underlayer; as you have found, it rucks and folds under the jacket. This is why most shooters who buy an MTM jacket also budget for purpose made shooting underwear. A cheaper alternative would be a "technical" hiking baselayer shirt, these are a lycra mix and fit closely. Most high street sports/outdoors shops will sell one for a reasonable price.
    Last edited by tim s; 08-10-2018 at 09:26 AM.