Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SMK issues

SMK issues

I have recently bought a new p15 that shot well over 12ftlb so it went back to SMK, three weeks later ( gunsmith went in holiday) it came back to my rfd, he tested it and its still fac they had done nothing. Now a little digging I discovered theres a few going back because of overpower and its not just the p15 that's faulty

All smk pcp owners, please check your power at lower fill pressures, you may be unpleasantly surprised !!

Also SMK replied to my email asking about spares for the p15, the email back confirmed spares are all available from my rfd, two separate rfd's asked for parts and smk cant supply ad they didn't have spares, so why tell me they are available in the first place, a simple no their not in stock just yet would of been ok..

A real shoddy service in my experience with SMK

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

Apparently you used to be able to buy spare parts directly from SMK until some numpty hurt himself fitting the spares he'd bought from them and tried to sue them for compensation.

This is why SMK will only supply parts to registered RFDs now.

Perhaps the offending guns were intended for markets other than the U.K.?.

Sadly another tale of woe relating to SMK/Sportsmarketing.

My first experience of the brand and (the lack of!) after-sales service, was a used XS78 that I bought as my first airgun. Gun was stamped as a .177 and as a newbie, I couldn't understand just why my pellets went everywhere except on the target and continued to be puzzled until one day, after loading a pellet, I pointed the barrel down and said pellet just rolled out of the end! Eureka moment! Dohhh! This must be a .22!

Call to Sportsmarketing explaining the dilemma and having to beg a very unhelpful female receptionist to put me through to someone on the 'technical' side. Reluctantly she did, for me only to be told that it was IMPOSSIBLE for a rifle to be stamped wrongly and that someone must have "messed with it." Now I live a scant 9 miles from their HQ, so I asked if I could bring it in and show them. "No you can't," I was curtly told, "we only deal with the trade." Thanks so much......not!

Fast forward 3 years and I buy a used CP2 victory which has a missing adjustment spring from the rear sight assembly. I phone Sportsmarketing and was told that the part was available but ONLY through my RFD and not direct. Anyway, I paid my usual RFD a visit, gave him the details and he somewhat reluctantly ordered the said part for me. A week later he called to say a part had arrived for me, but when I went there, I saw that a COMPLETE sight assembly had been sent and not just the little spring. RFD then got a bit shirty with me for having to return it, as he stated that SMK do not refund for wrongly ordered parts. I maintained that I hadn't 'wrongly' ordered it through him, they had wrongly supplied it. Grudgingly, my RFD returned the part and once again put a call in to SMK and described the correct part. A week later, another complete rear sight assembly was sent. This time, I just removed the little spring and handed the rest back to a now quite irate RFD. The upshot of this was a shouting match between myself and the RFD and I was told that my custom was no longer welcome!

Thanks SMK/Sportsmarketing, much appreciated. Customer service from this outfit? Forget it!
    Last edited by nikonman; 09-10-2018 at 02:22 PM.

secretagentmole Guest
    Hang on, you say at lower pressures it is coming over the limit, seeing as it is regulated perhaps you are coming off the regulator and the hammer is allowing more air through the mechanism?

What pressure is this happening at (sub 100 bar??)?
    It may not be the gun at fault, it just might need filling again!
    Last edited by secretagentmole; 09-10-2018 at 01:38 PM.

Smk

I can only praise my local RFD DAI and SMK for fast service, bolt broke on the pr900w, contacted RFD last thursday. Bolt arrived today under warranty.
    Cannot be any better service than that.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Apparently you used to be able to buy spare parts directly from SMK until some numpty hurt himself fitting the spares he'd bought from them and tried to sue them for compensation.

This is why SMK will only supply parts to registered RFDs now.
    I knew that, but why mail me saying they have parts and then when rfd trys to order they tell him they dont have them ?

Total waste of time

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

Quote Originally Posted by nikonman View Post
    Sadly another tale of woe relating to SMK/Spoertsmarketing.

My first experience of the brand and (the lack of!) after-sales service, was a used XS78 that I bought as my first airgun. Gun was stamped as a .177 and as a newbie, I couldn't understand just why my pellets went everywhere except on the target and continued to be puzzled until one day, after loading a pellet, I pointed the barrel down and said pellet just rolled out of the end! Eureka moment! Dohhh! This must be a .22!

Call to Sportsmarketing explaining the dilemma and having to beg a very unhelpful female receptionist to put me through to someone on the 'technical' side. Reluctantly she did, for me only to be told that it was IMPOSSIBLE for a barrel to be stamped wrongly and that someone must have "messed with it." Now I live a scant 9 miles from their HQ, so I asked if I could bring it in and show them. "No you can't," I was curtly told, "we only deal with the trade." Thanks so much......not!!
    True, it is impossible that the barrel can be wrongly stamped - they aren't stamped - the breech is - so it could well have had a calibre change before you bought it

Quote Originally Posted by nikonman View Post
    Sadly another tale of woe relating to SMK/Spoertsmarketing.
    Fast forward 3 years and I buy a used CP2 victory which has a missing adjustment spring from the rear sight assembly. I phone Sportsmarketing and was told that the part was available but ONLY through my RFD and not direct. Anyway, I paid my usual RFD a visit, gave him the details and he somewhat reluctantly ordered the said part for me. A week later he called to say a part had arrived for me, but when I went there, I saw that a COMPLETE sight assembly had been sent and not just the little spring. RFD then got a bit shirty with me for having to return it, as he stated that SMK do not refund for wrongly ordered parts. I maintained that I hadn't 'wrongly' ordered it through him, they had wrongly supplied it. Grudgingly, my RFD returned the part and once again put a call in to SMK and described the correct part. A week later, another complete rear sight assembly was sent. This time, I just removed the little spring and handed the rest back to a now quite irate RFD. The upshot of this was a shouting match between myself and the RFD and I was told that my custom was no longer welcome!

Thanks SMK/Sportsmarketing, much appreciated. Customer service from this outfit? Forget it!
    Sounds more like your RFD not bothering to listen to your requirements & TBH, for the cost of a small spring, most RFDs I've been to would pull out a box of bits & say "see if you can find one in here" & if/when one is found that'd do the job, just say "take it". Glad that the RFDs I use are this side of the county!

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    Hang on, you say at lower pressures it is coming over the limit, seeing as it is regulated perhaps you are coming off the regulator and the hammer is allowing more air through the mechanism?

What pressure is this happening at? It may not be the gun at fault, it just might need filling again!
    125bar it rises well into fac territory and at 110 it was 15ftlb all the way down to 95 where is started to drop and at 85 (I think) it came back legal

At no point in a fill should a sub12 go fac, no point in keeping it full to be legal and at low pressure its fac, its still fac, simply the reg is set to high and thats why it was returned only for them to send it back still over

Chris

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SuffolkRifle View Post
    True, it is impossible that the barrel can be wrongly stamped - they aren't stamped - the breech is - so it could well have had a calibre change before you bought it
    Quite an easy way to get an FAC rifle too....

Quote Originally Posted by SuffolkRifle View Post

Sounds more like your RFD not bothering to listen to your requirements & TBH, for the cost of a small spring, most RFDs I've been to would pull out a box of bits & say "see if you can find one in here" & if/when one is found that'd do the job, just say "take it". Glad that the RFDs I use are this side of the county!
    Sorry, my mistake. It WAS the BREECH that was stamped .177 and that was how it was reported to Sportsmarketing. I even sent Terry Doe at Airgun World some close up photos showing the pellets in the breech and he told me that there was no mistake, that it had been wrongly stamped, it was a .22. He also said that he would query it with Sportsmarketing, but perhaps unsurprisingly ( they are a regular advertiser), I heard nothing further.......

.177 XS/QB78's are a sod to get up to full power, so the original owner has no doubt fitted a .22 barrel to solve the problem along with a bigger probe. A simple job to do. The breech will still say .177. If you had bought it new, your argument would stand up. But you didn't.

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsnlandies View Post
    .177 XS/QB78's are a sod to get up to full power, so the original owner has no doubt fitted a .22 barrel to solve the problem along with a bigger probe. A simple job to do. The breech will still say .177. If you had bought it new, your argument would stand up. But you didn't.
    Bollocks. Buy a Terry Robb kit, 17 ft lb in an instant!

That would mean in excess of 22+fpe in .22 then, would it?

secretagentmole Guest

Chris your attention please!

Quote Originally Posted by 32:1 View Post
    I have recently bought a new p15 that shot well over 12ftlb so it went back to SMK, three weeks later ( gunsmith went in holiday) it came back to my rfd, he tested it and its still fac they had done nothing. Now a little digging I discovered theres a few going back because of overpower and its not just the p15 that's faulty

All smk pcp owners, please check your power at lower fill pressures, you may be unpleasantly surprised !!

Also SMK replied to my email asking about spares for the p15, the email back confirmed spares are all available from my rfd, two separate rfd's asked for parts and smk cant supply ad they didn't have spares, so why tell me they are available in the first place, a simple no their not in stock just yet would of been ok..

A real shoddy service in my experience with SMK

Chris
    Whoa, what pressure, maybe if under a hundred and almost certainly if under 90 bar you are only having a problem with it coming off reg, Super 10s were noted for a power climb as it came off reg!

Could just need filling up not fixing!