Thread: Max power Pistol

Micky Spillane is offline reports of my death have been greatly exagerated

Max power Pistol

I know this is a controversial topic but I have a rat problem in my garden. I see no point in shooting the bastards with a thing that they can head off or crawl away and die in agony from. I know the pistol limit is 6 ft lb how close does any pistol reach? This is not for hunting but for pest (illence) control.
    Drink good English Bitter beer and shoot safe,
    Micky Spillane

It's not about the power so much as the accuracy, can you seriously guarantee a 3/4" (bottlecap size) group at 10 yards with a pistol? I can with my 10m target pistol but that's not for pest control as 10m target shooting is a far different discipline than shooting vermin. Use a rifle, much more chance of making a humane shot. Even rats deserve a quick death.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

On a good day yes I can.
    But I still would not shoot a rat with an air pistol.

There are plenty of small rifle options around.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Spillane View Post
    I know this is a controversial topic but I have a rat problem in my garden. I see no point in shooting the bastards with a thing that they can head off or crawl away and die in agony from.
    You've sort of answered your own question there --- use a rifle, they have more power and they're easier to place a pellet correctly with for humane dispatch.

This is why the Admin team don't condone the use of pistols against live quarry.

All the best Mick
    Last edited by T 20; 11-10-2018 at 08:26 AM.