Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: " Original " 75 the movie ..

" Original " 75 the movie ..

I've just spent over two hours watching the strip down / rebuild of the " Original " 75 and I get it !

Badgerhill 54 goes in to great detail and even with the slightly dark filming of the take down and rebuild I did follow and understand the guide.

Another Texan chap ( Cyclops/ Joe W Rhea also has a good short film showing the pistons and gear install.

I get it !

The question is , is getting it enough ? I'm no gunsmith but I can grasp the concept and follow direction on the video, store parts in sequence of removal , take photos etc.

Is it feasible to strip and rebuild these guns for the novice ? Or will the hidden traps trip me up ?

Also what's the spares deal on these guns are new springs , piston washers / buffers and breech seals readily available ? I believe other parts are scarce to none existent so is it possible to end up with a wall mounted 75 as an ornament only ?

Guns with little or no use will now need a rebuild ? Would the leather seals now be toast ?

I like the idea of the 75 but the Ferrari like performance and possible issues and associated costs are a little daunting .

Or am I being a wuss ?

Any tips and advice appreciated as I quite fancy one .

Spring and seal kits are available.. best price I've seen is waffencentre Gotha. I think maccari has them also as well as a few of the other usual suspects, albeit at a higher price.
    I will be in the same boat as you on the next few weeks when I pick mine up. I too have watched all the vids and get it! Let's hope it's enough lol
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    Spring and seal kits are available.. best price I've seen is waffencentre Gotha. I think maccari has them also as well as a few of the other usual suspects, albeit at a higher price.
    I will be in the same boat as you on the next few weeks when I pick mine up. I too have watched all the vids and get it! Let's hope it's enough lol

Neither video made mention of the cleaning up process or any re-lube of parts and with what lubricants.

Mr Cyclops did a video on the FWB300 rebuild he later retracted it and said the guns parts should not be lubed ( or lubed then wiped as dry as possible? ) but rubbed as dry as possible before rebuilding . " I learned the hard way " I recall he said.

I suppose anything is possible with the correct guidance and instructions of the whole process, ie parts lube and clean or not, and which parts ?

There's not a massive amount of instruction on the " Original " 75, I really don't know how rare or common the guns are but I'd of thought more information on them, and parts availability would be better. Given all that said, good video instruction is generally easier to follow than the written manual.

It's a shame the UK video didn't have better lighting , his explanation was clear and simple though.

All well and good if things go smoothly and the springs don't start flying etc etc ..

Decisions ... Decisions

It begs the question do we have any resident rebuild experts / gunsmiths willing to take them on , and what are the costs to service the " 75 " in terms of parts and labour ?
    Last edited by Steve Zodiac; 05-11-2018 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Zodiac View Post
    Neither video made mention of the cleaning up process or any re-lube of parts and with what lubricants.

Mr Cyclops did a video on the FWB300 rebuild he later retracted it and said the guns parts should not be lubed ( or lubed then wiped as dry as possible? ) but rubbed as dry as possible before rebuilding . " I learned the hard way " I recall he said.

I suppose anything is possible with the correct guidance and instructions of the whole process, ie parts lube and clean or not, and which parts ?

There's not a massive amount of instruction on the " Original " 75, I really don't know how rare or common the guns are but I'd of thought more information on them, and parts availability would be better. Given all that said, good video instruction is generally easier to follow than the written manual.

It's a shame the UK video didn't have better lighting , his explanation was clear and simple though.

All well and good if things go smoothly and the springs don't start flying etc etc ..

Decisions ... Decisions

It begs the question do we have any resident rebuild experts / gunsmiths willing to take them on , and what are the costs to service the " 75 " in terms of parts and labour ?
    Dave (DM80 on here) is an expert at servicing the Giss guns, if he's willing to take on the job.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Looks like its just me and you kid …

Set adrift on the sea of Original 75 discovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Dave (DM80 on here) is an expert at servicing the Giss guns, if he's willing to take on the job.
    Thanks Garvin.

Looks like its just me and you kid …

Set adrift on the sea of Original 75 discovery.
    😂😂😂😂 love it!!

I think I might purchase my kit this weekend. My dad's fac,SGC and awl just came through, so mine should be imminent, which means I can pick up my 75 from the club!
    I quite like the idea of being set adrift! Imagine Tom hanks in castaway had opened up a parcel containing an original 75 and a couple thousand pellets instead of a crappy volleyball.
    What a different movie that might have been.
    Maybe He wouldn't have been arsed with his old wife when he got back, instead, he pursued the dizzying heights of the musclepower POSTAL league!
    Donald

OriginalMod.75 target rifle

I've just spent over two hours watching the strip down / rebuild of the " Original " 75 and I get it !

Badgerhill 54 goes in to great detail and even with the slightly dark filming of the take down and rebuild I did follow and understand the guide.

Another Texan chap ( Cyclops/ Joe W Rhea also has a good short film showing the pistons and gear install.

I get it !

The question is , is getting it enough ? I'm no gunsmith but I can grasp the concept and follow direction on the video, store parts in sequence of removal , take photos etc.

Is it feasible to strip and rebuild these guns for the novice ? Or will the hidden traps trip me up ?

Also what's the spares deal on these guns are new springs , piston washers / buffers and breech seals readily available ? I believe other parts are scarce to none existent so is it possible to end up with a wall mounted 75 as an ornament only ?

Guns with little or no use will now need a rebuild ? Would the leather seals now be toast ?

I like the idea of the 75 but the Ferrari like performance and possible issues and associated costs are a little daunting .

Or am I being a wuss ?

Any tips and advice appreciated as I quite fancy one .
    Hi Steve zodiac,
    Could you tell me how to get these vidios up. I am just about to embark on the adventure myself .
    BomarBob .

Without wishing to sound nasty please please please disregard any video you find which states that Original or Diana Model 75's had a leather piston washer as uninformed bull****.
    All Mod 75's had synthetic rubber seals, most original factory fitted seals will have perished and hardened into a crystalline sugary toffee consistency by now, along with the breech seal and the buffer seal. More modern replacement piston washers, buffer and breech seals will last longer but again, many rifles will be on or due for the second replacement seal set by now.
    Those "gunsmiths" on youtube who claim that the original seals were leather don't know their ars*s from their elbows! Be very cautious of what "advice" you follow! Some of those strip down videos are extremely misleading and involve dangerous practices!
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

Quote Originally Posted by rancidtom View Post
    Without wishing to sound nasty please please please disregard any video you find which states that Original or Diana Model 75's had a leather piston washer as uninformed bull****.
    All Mod 75's had synthetic rubber seals, most original factory fitted seals will have perished and hardened into a crystalline sugary toffee consistency by now, along with the breech seal and the buffer seal. More modern replacement piston washers, buffer and breech seals will last longer but again, many rifles will be on or due for the second replacement seal set by now.
    Those "gunsmiths" on youtube who claim that the original seals were leather don't know their ars*s from their elbows! Be very cautious of what "advice" you follow! Some of those strip down videos are extremely misleading and involve dangerous practices!
    Youtube can be of some help sometimes, especially if you need visual info of a guns internals before diving into it yourself. Combined with good schematics videos can be of great assitance...
    But as you say, too many people post videos claiming to be experts, without really knowing what they are doing.
    Its a problem these days that anyone can go online and reach out to the entire world, giving bad advice that can lead to damaged guns.

To be fair, anyone watching YouTube with the intention of recreating it themselves, should know to take it with a pinch of salt. I watch youtube vids all the time for info on whatever it is I'm doing.

I look forward to watching yours if you do one mate.. I might do one myself when I get all the bits together for mine.
    Donald

Of course there are some good informative and useful videos out there, but sifting through the bad information to find the good stuff can be a nightmare, especially if you don't have any information to judge against. Beware of those videos which have been amended with further corrections in part 2 or 3, those are quite probably poor information and the revisions may well just be further bodges to correct the initial ones.
    I haven't sat and watched all the Mod 75 videos on youtube so I can't recommend any one in particular that is better than the rest, but what I would say is that it's not a gun to learn the basic skills on. If you are a competent, methodical, logical "mechanic" you will be fine, but if you start on a 75 as a "learning the basics" exercise you have picked the option of jumping in at the deep end!
    It's hard to assess what would be a suitable progression of guns to work on before attempting a Mod 75. I'd been working on all sorts before stripping/rebuilding a 75 as a lad, when the spares were easy to get hold of (Graham and Alan at M.A.G. had a drawer full, what they didn't have they would order from Frank Dyke).
    I use tools that I have made specifically for certain jobs on the 75, maybe similar to the ones the factory used for assembly but as I have never seen a "workshop manual" for these guns I don't know, all I know is that I could not find suitable adjustable pin spanners so I made my own specifically sized to fit the 75. Other than those tools a selection of good hex wrenches, screwdrivers (grind them to fit the slots properly) and a 5.5mm 1/4" drive metric socket is very useful.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

When I say "lad" above, I mean that I was about 19 or 20, not the old fossil I am now!

I totally agree... it's definitely not a good 'First gun' to have a go with..
    I started with the humble g10 pistol, and went on to meteors, mercuries and Vulcans. Back then there was no internet, and the first few guns I worked on I didn't even have schematic drawings. I got defeated once by a scorpion pistol when I was about 14. Now I have good selection of tools and have made screwdrivers, checkering tools, and other bits and bobs to get jobs done.
    I'm looking forward to the 75, I haven't had a project in a while.
    I think my last service was a fwb100 pistol, and before that it was a sirocco classic - that was a tough trigger to do!!! Really fiddly and mentally draining!!
    Donald

😂😂😂😂 love it!!

I think I might purchase my kit this weekend. My dad's fac,SGC and awl just came through, so mine should be imminent, which means I can pick up my 75 from the club!
    I quite like the idea of being set adrift! Imagine Tom hanks in castaway had opened up a parcel containing an original 75 and a couple thousand pellets instead of a crappy volleyball.
    What a different movie that might have been.
    Maybe He wouldn't have been arsed with his old wife when he got back, instead, he pursued the dizzying heights of the musclepower POSTAL league!

Spot-on Donald,

Get those Model 75's into action in the MPL postal competition
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.