Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why was the Webley Viscount such a flop?

Why was the Webley Viscount such a flop?

These were effectively long-barrelled Trackers, but while the Tracker sold in the tens of thousands I think the Viscount had a rather disappointing couple of years (?) before it was discontinued.

Did fashion at the time favour a short barrel? Did the Viscount have a place?

The rarity of them might suggest that the value among collectors would be quite healthy, but whenever one does turn up no one seems interested in it!

It's probably one of the most least-recognised Webley's ever made. I'd be interested to hear the BBS collector's opinions on them?

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    These were effectively long-barrelled Trackers, but while the Tracker sold in the tens of thousands I think the Viscount had a rather disappointing couple of years (?) before it was discontinued.

Did fashion at the time favour a short barrel? Did the Viscount have a place?

The rarity of them might suggest that the value among collectors would be quite healthy, but whenever one does turn up no one seems interested in it!

It's probably one of the most least-recognised Webley's ever made. I'd be interested to hear the BBS collector's opinions on them?

Cheers
    Greg
    That’s a really excellent question! The Viscount had to be one of the best-looking air rifles of all time...lovely lines, nice stock detailing, fantastic fit and finish on the metal bits, great size and balance. Also rather quieter to shoot that the Tracker thanks to the longer barrel, all in all one of my favorite modern Webleys. I owned a walnut-stocked one briefly and it is amongst the rifles I most regret selling!

Note that the “Viscount” name died before the long barrel did, however. I’ve seen several guns labeled “Tracker” with the long barrel at gun shows here in the US. No doubt the carbine was much more popular, yet there may be more examples of the long-barreled version of that action out there than you think.
    Last edited by MDriskill; 15-10-2018 at 10:30 AM.

I think you hit the nail on the head with fashion dictating the popularity of shorter barrels. That sexy barrel weight also added to the Tracker's looks and it was marketed as a handy little carbine. A walnut stocked Tracker deluxe is certainly one of the best looking air rifles Webley ever made IMHO.

I never got around to buying the walnut stocked Beeman/Williams aperture sighted Viscount I always wanted at the back of my mind!

Towards the end of production, Webley dropped the Viscount name and marketed two Trackers: the Tracker Carbine and the rifle version, so you will see long barrelled 'Viscounts' marked as Trackers.

Definitely an underrated classic.

John

I've said it before, the Viscount with the Osprey heavy barrel could have been a great gun, with balance and handling that would put others to shame. It's on my project list, unfortunately at the moment I only have a .22 Tracker action and a .177 Osprey barrel so it's a bit more complex. Anybody got a .177 Tracker cylinder?

I owned a viscount deluxe years ago it was a lovely looking gun one I regret moving on I also think they shot nicer than the tracker due to the full length barrel think back then every body went carbine mad and sadly the viscount didn't sell very well no were near as many as the short carbined tracker which is also a nice little airgun,

Dave.

Also, back then, the break-barrel ruled the roost. The only lever-cocked rifles that got any real traction were the Airsporter as BSA’s flagship prestige model, and the Tracker and the military-style Jackals, because of they were different. The Viscount, which I agree looks and handles superbly in walnut, just wasn’t different enough. Then the HW77 cane along (with which the Viscount could not compete on performance) and suddenly break-barrels were for farmers in barns, and all serious shooters had to have an underlever.

Neither here more there I suppose...but there was a nice article by a Swedish author in “Airgun World” in the early 90’s, about the popularity of Webleys in Scandinavia. English airguns apparently out-sold German ones by a healthy margin there (durability and finish quality being considered particular points of superiority), which I found interesting as the latest-and-greatest HW and FWB sporters were of course all the rage in the contemporary press.

The Tracker and Viscount were particularly popular in Sweden. I’ve always wondered how the numbers sold there compared to the UK, and which of the two sold better.
    Last edited by MDriskill; 15-10-2018 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post
    That’s a really excellent question! The Viscount had to be one of the best-looking air rifles of all time...lovely lines, nice stock detailing, fantastic fit and finish on the metal bits, great size and balance. Also rather quieter to shoot that the Tracker thanks to the longer barrel, all in all one of my favorite modern Webleys. I owned a walnut-stocked one briefly and it is amongst the rifles I most regret selling!

Note that the “Viscount” name died before the long barrel did, however. I’ve seen several guns labeled “Tracker” with the long barrel at gun shows here in the US. No doubt the carbine was much more popular, yet there may be more examples of the long-barreled version of that action out there than you think.
    Dis many make their way to the US which weren't relabelled as Barnett? I've always wondered what sort of number of Webley's went to the US.

I have a Webley catalogue from the late 80's/early 90's which does actually show the Viscount and "standard barrel" Tracker side by side, so they didn't just drop the Viscount name. It says the standard Tracker has a barrel length of 17.5" and the Viscount 18.5". Who would buy the Viscount though to gain 1" of barrel length?

Neither here more there I suppose...but there was a nice article by a Swedish author in “Airgun World” in the early 90’s, about the popularity of Webleys in Scandinavia. English airguns apparently out-sold German ones by a healthy margin there (durability and finish quality being considered particular points of superiority), which I found interesting as the latest-and-greatest HW and FWB sporters were of course all the rage in the contemporary press.

The Tracker and Viscount were particularly popular in Sweden. I’ve always wondered how the numbers sold there compared to the UK, and which of the two sold better.
    I have read somewhere as many as 75% of Trackers were exported to Sweden, and I believe it was partially due to their 550fps(?) limit, which made it one of the few British guns that they could legally import.

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    Dis many make their way to the US which weren't relabelled as Barnett? I've always wondered what sort of number of Webley's went to the US.

I have a Webley catalogue from the late 80's/early 90's which does actually show the Viscount and "standard barrel" Tracker side by side, so they didn't just drop the Viscount name. It says the standard Tracker has a barrel length of 17.5" and the Viscount 18.5". Who would buy the Viscount though to gain 1" of barrel length.

I have read somewhere as many as 75% of Trackers were exported to Sweden, and I believe it was partially due to their 550fps(?) limit, which made it one of the few British guns that they could legally import.

Cheers
    Greg
    A few smaller dealers brought the Tracker in, such as Great Lakes Airguns in upstate New York, but none of the bigger importers, so one sees only a few Webley-marked sidelevers here.

They came a bit too late for Air Rifle Headquarters to handle (stopped trading early 80’s). Beeman imported the Osprey in his early days, but never the Tracker/Viscount. By then he was promoting the HW 77, and had added some rather nasty anti-taploader verbiage to his famous catalogs. One of the guns I most regret selling was a late UK-market Tracker with the nice wide curved trigger blade, have never seen another here. My current example is a “Barnett Spitfire.”

I did not know that about the Viscount vs. “standard Tracker” barrel lengths! Very interesting indeed. I do recall the Viscount I had as seeming quite long, now that you mention it, but did not get the same impression from the two standard Trackers I have handled. Even a small dimensional difference can be quite noticeable sometimes.

The “Airgun World” article did mention the Swedish velocity restriction (I think it was 600 FPS but not sure without looking it up). The law restricted only speed and not energy though, so as you can imagine .22 and .25 were the dominant calibers there at the time.

A few smaller dealers brought the Tracker in, such as Great Lakes Airguns in upstate New York, but none of the bigger importers, so one sees only a few Webley-marked sidelevers here.

They came a bit too late for Air Rifle Headquarters to handle (stopped trading early 80’s). Beeman imported the Osprey in his early days, but never the Tracker/Viscount. By then he was promoting the HW 77, and had added some rather nasty anti-taploader verbiage to his famous catalogs. One of the guns I most regret selling was a late UK-market Tracker with the nice wide curved trigger blade, have never seen another here. My current example is a “Barnett Spitfire.”

I did not know that about the Viscount vs. “standard Tracker” barrel lengths! Very interesting indeed. I do recall the Viscount I had as seeming quite long, now that you mention it, but did not get the same impression from the two standard Trackers I have handled. Even a small dimensional difference can be quite noticeable sometimes.

The “Airgun World” article did mention the Swedish velocity restriction (I think it was 600 FPS but not sure without looking it up). The law restricted only speed and not energy though, so as you can imagine .22 and .25 were the dominant calibers there at the time.
    That curved trigger blade was a nice upgrade from the ones fitted to the earlier models. Better still, the "2 stage" (not a true 2 stage) trigger unit fitted to the Stingray/Xocet can be retrofitted to the Tracker for a much nicer feel.

To be honest I have never seen a long (standard) barrel Tracker in the flesh (and I've had a LOT of Tracker's!) and only ever remember seeing one or two advertised. It's odd that they'd market 2 guns which except for an inch of barrel length, were identical. Maybe that year they were trying to clear old stock. Good old Webley.

Cheers
    Greg

I see a lot of love here but I really dislike the look of a side-lever, though I realize Diana has made theirs for a long time successfully. Ruins the lines of a rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Ruins the lines of a rifle.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Sidelevers allow for a very slim forend which (to me) enhances the lines of the rifle. Pity some manufacturers don't take more advantage of it.

I see a lot of love here but I really dislike the look of a side-lever, though I realize Diana has made theirs for a long time successfully. Ruins the lines of a rifle.
    A Tracker was the first air rifle I ever owned. Still got it going on 35 years later

To my eye it’s got a slightly 80s look but then so did Michelle Pfeiffer and it didn’t do her any harm

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    A Tracker was the first air rifle I ever owned. Still got it going on 35 years later

To my eye it’s got a slightly 80s look but then so did Michelle Pfeiffer and it didn’t do her any harm
    I think there is a reason Air Arms doesn’t have a side lever? But have to agree on Michelle.

I think there is a reason Air Arms doesn’t have a side lever? But have to agree on Michelle.
    air arms khamsin?