Thread: BSA Goldstar under lever modification.

BSA Goldstar under lever modification.

I'm sure I read somewhere that you can modify the under lever Goldstar in to accepting the modern BSA self indexing magazines by doing away with the little indexing pin that pops up on the cocking cycle to index the original magazine.

Most rifles originally came with a single mag that seemingly was very dependant on the type of user / abuser and either worked with care, or failed if you were the John Wayne Winchester type.

Question.

Is it a worthwhile modification to remove the pin and allow use of several spare magazines with greater reliability ? How difficult is it to remove said pin mechanism which I believe ( info is thin on the subject ) is attached in someway to the cocking lever ?

Are there spares available as I wouldn't like to render the rifle irreversible should I want to switch back to original.

Any thoughts or experience on the subject please ?

This has been covered before but not with any real definitive answer as you say.

I own an old Goldstar and have also asked the question about magazine compatibility.

I believe you can modify a new-style magazine to work in the old Goldstar.

I too have read about removing the indexing pin from the underlever but would never consider modifying the rifle to suit the magazine, would much rather modify the magazine to suit the rifle!

Cheers
    Greg

Micky Spillane is offline reports of my death have been greatly exagerated
    I'd go along with the above, having owned a Goldstar I never really had a problem with magazine indexing once I understood the principle of the operation bearing in mind the mag was built as a development stage to the Super ten. I miss my old Goldstar but it went to a good home.
    Drink good English Bitter beer and shoot safe,
    Micky Spillane

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    This has been covered before but not with any real definitive answer as you say.

I own an old Goldstar and have also asked the question about magazine compatibility.

I believe you can modify a new-style magazine to work in the old Goldstar.

I too have read about removing the indexing pin from the underlever but would never consider modifying the rifle to suit the magazine, would much rather modify the magazine to suit the rifle!

Cheers
    Greg
    I don't mind modifying, but the key is that it must be possible to return the gun to original, if its a reasonably straight forward job to remove the pin indexer ( can I call it that ) obtain a spare incase of the inevitable ping into bits then I'd be happy to do it.

It keeps the one remaining original Mag in good order, and means I don't have to cut/ file or modify any newly purchased mags.

It really needs someone who either done the modification or maybe replaced the original pin because of failure or damage etc.

I looked on the simple guide to stripping but couldn't see any mention of the Goldstar.

I think there's a hole under the chamber that can be viewed if the rifle is upside down with the cocking arm in the pulled back position . I'll have a look tmrw try and work it out.

Nobody ever stripped down a Goldstar or know of their complexities ?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Zodiac View Post
    Nobody ever stripped down a Goldstar or know of their complexities ?
    Rancidtom seems to be the man to ask about this.

Perfect timing, I have just acquired three very nice original .177 goldstars but no mags, I have done some research on previous threads but there seems to be some confusion (to me anyway) whether or not the new type mags fit and I can say that having bought a new blue .177 mag yesterday that they do not
    Looking forward to see where this thread goes regarding altering / adapting the mag, like the other guys I would rather mod the mag rather than the rifle

Does the mag go in but not operate?
    Or wont it even go in?

Hi
    The mag goes in and appears to fit like it should but the pellet hole doesn't line up, without forcing it I have gently pushed the underlever up a couple of times and after removing the mag it appears to have marked it a couple of mm out of line if this makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by grezoor View Post
    Hi
    The mag goes in and appears to fit like it should but the pellet hole doesn't line up, without forcing it I have gently pushed the underlever up a couple of times and after removing the mag it appears to have marked it a couple of mm out of line if this makes sense

Hi, don't push it up anymore I've broken my indexing pin off this weekend !

Oops thats unfortunate is it repairable? I didn't force the underlever up to hard it was just enough to see where the locating pin was catching the mag and its just enough not to put the pellet into the barrel, looks like I'll have to scrap the rifles if i cant find mags

Quote Originally Posted by grezoor View Post
    Oops thats unfortunate is it repairable? I didn't force the underlever up to hard it was just enough to see where the locating pin was catching the mag and its just enough not to put the pellet into the barrel, looks like I'll have to scrap the rifles if i cant find mags
    It's repairable yes.

I was looking for a nice .177 Goldstar as when they're working they are great. Should of just stuck with my one original Mag .

Yes they are good guns i just hope i can find some suitable mags so that I can use them again, good luck with yours 👍

On my .22 Goldstar the first generation new mag went in but would not operate.

When removed there was a mark on the bottom of the mag where the index pin hit it.

I removed a small piece of the plastic where the mark was and it worked really well!

I sold the gun and the mag is still working.

I don’t know if the latest new mags will work.

I will look through my BSA mags today and see if I can reach any further conclusions.

I also removed the index lever from my Stalker S10 and that works with the new mags.

Ive found a mag I modified and compared it to the latest BSA mag.

I cant see any reason why you cant take a chip out of the new one to allow it to operate.

I would have a go as you have 3 rifles to save!