Thread: Webley Tracker info

Webley Tracker info

I recently acquired my first side lever air rifle. It is a nice little Webley Tracker .22 in a unchecked walnut stock.

The rifle is in lovely condition. I would just like to know more about it. I know they are the shorter version of the Viscount (until webley got rid of the viscount name and started making long barreled Trackers). And the serial number is 15821.

Any idea on the age?

The only thing I dont like is the safety. I dont know if this is a common problem but when I first got it I had it outside and decided to see how the safety works (the only other air rifle with a safety I own is a park rh93 which has an auto safety feature). I cocked it then made sure the safety was on. IT worked and the trigger did not move, I then put the safety off and tried to fire and nothing happened. In the end I had to remove the action from the stock and tap the anti bear trap mechanism with the rubber handle of a screw driver to get it to shoot (after removing the pellet of course), still not a pleasant experience :/ (Weird thing is, that the same thing happened with my parks today, did the same thing as with the tracker, all good now but by heck)

Overall I really like the gun and plan on keeping it for some time (I have a period Nikko Stirling Silver Crown on the way for it). So any info would be great. I just got to remember not to use the safety

There's nothing wrong with the safety catch, it merely blocks the trigger, and it's not connected in any way to the anti-beartrap, which is where your problem lies.

Sounds a bit like the closed sidelever is not pressing the anti-beartrap release lever far enough in - check it's not been re-assembled incorrectly.. If you have to fire it in the way you described, it's a good idea to open the loading tap before doing so; it's a lot less violent and dangerous if you do. The trapped air will leak away fairly quickly, or you can gently close the tap a bit and the piston will slide forward safely.

15821 manufactured 1982.

Micky Spillane is offline reports of my death have been greatly exagerated
    Hi there as Bill says the safety is just a trigger block and not allied with the anti bear trap. Same basic action as the Osprey but with better power capabilities. the bear trap was a noisy nuisance to me and I took it all off in the end.
    Drink good English Bitter beer and shoot safe,
    Micky Spillane