Thread: Myxomatosis in hares.

Unhappy Myxomatosis in hares.

Very upsetting news.

I just saw on BBC Breakfast News that there have been cases of this terrible and devastating bastard of a virus reported in Brown Hares in East Anglia.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Big Mat is offline Formerly Fire Bunnys, and doesn't ask for much!
    It's unconfirmed if it is mixy yet, its more likely to be the other virus that they get

Yeah I second what Big Mat said
    It's being reported as mixy but it's actually Viral Hemorrhagic Disease (VHD)
    100% mortality rate in rabbits.
    It's not good news at all
    Makes you wonder if the virus has mutated if so where will it end?
    Sheep, cattle, pigs, us?
    Good deals with:
    Dunn220, Leon, Bullcelt, stink£r, u.k.neil, supersharpshoot, william and airgun god, GEORGEY, telgun, Simon P and stubbs4612, Wellhouse0, harpo

Considering the difference in symptoms it's a bit hard to confuse the two.
    Not good either way.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Considering the difference in symptoms it's a bit hard to confuse the two.
    Not good either way.
    Even for the BBC?
    Good deals with:
    Dunn220, Leon, Bullcelt, stink£r, u.k.neil, supersharpshoot, william and airgun god, GEORGEY, telgun, Simon P and stubbs4612, Wellhouse0, harpo

Sadly after 43 years of hunting rabbits with ferrets, dogs & shooting this may be my last season due to the ravages of myxy, vhd,rhd, with those three ‘evils’ at large I can see there will be a big impact on our native predators, most of the rabbits have been wiped out on some of my permissions, I don’t tend to take large numbers preferring to keep to single figures as it’s all about the day too me, watching a stoat hunting a warren or a buzzard hunting and now the prospect of not seeing hares boxing in the fields in late February makes things sadder still.
    Regards Graham

all dead

almost no rabbits on my perm -- stoped shooting them hoping some survivors will re populate the area

I, have hundreds of acres to shoot here in North Cheshire, and , No rabbits to speak of anywhere .
    Non ,dead on the roads . Non, on the roundabouts . I saw one on a farm track on Sunday , which came as a surprise.
    Two golf clubs , devoid of rabbits .
    Whatever , it is (RHD2?) and if it is jumping species, someone in authority needs to take notice . And quickly.
    Peace through superior fire power!