Thread: Tung oil use in restorations ?

Tung oil use in restorations ?

Anyone used Tung Oil on an old stock renovation, if so, pros and cons appreciated ? I ask after watching an episode of History In The Making where an American gunsmith got a nice satin finish on a military rifle saying that it dries harder and quicker than Linseed Oil and doesn't go tacky in the heat. Just wondering as I have plenty of the stuff here and several stocks waiting for a re-finish....Thanks
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Ive used it in the past. I found it similar to Danish oil but finer. Gives a very nice finish not so plasticy as Tru oil.
    Mac

Thumbs up

Danish or truoil for a shine and tung oil for a satin sheen....well that's what I use
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

Looking around the web, tung oil seems to be a main constituent of both truoil and danish oil, along with varying amounts of linseed, though there are no defined formulas or guarantees that both contain tung in any great proportion. Pure tung or linseed oils take a relatively long time to dry, so the idea of the 'wiping varnishes' as they seem to be known, is improved drying times, increased polymerisation within the wood, less sticky, and more hard wearing.

Incidentally, there are even some products out there with tung in the name, but none actually in the ingredients, it seems to be a common ploy amongst various manufacturers!

Hello to All,

I have used Liberon Tung Oil with complete satisfaction :

http://www.liberon.co.uk/product/pure-tung-oil/

They also do a 'quick drying' Tun oil, but I have not used it :

https://www.liberon.co.uk/product/qu...ying-tung-oil/

I prefer a satin finish to a gloss one.

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

xbow is offline "Right a bit, left a bit............"
    Liberon Finishing oil has a high percentage of Tung Oil in it with driers and is available in small 250 ml cans.
    I have to admit I’ve not tried it yet myself but I’m told it dries quickly without the stickiness you can get with Danish oil.
    We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.
    Rudeness is the weak mans imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer.

If I don’t reply to your comments it’s probably because you’re on my Ignore list.