Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favourite plinking targets

Plinking targets

Ice cubes. No clean up and very reactive.
    Chalk sticks broken up into short lengths.

Does anyone remember an article from the late 70s in Airgun World titled "Light Fantastic"? The writer took light bulbs and used them for targets (in woods if I'm not mistaken).
    It was a long time ago and I may well have got this totally wrong but in my mind I think I'm remembering it correctly.

Skipton on a farm on the moors with 100s of sheep

Mobile target range

Hi all i made a mobile target range last week from a metal swivel chair base some 3" x 2" and a mixture of targets off evilbay, It was cheap and easy to make lots of fun easy to move and can be stored indoors to prevent the metal targets from rusting i have some really detailed photos of it on my computer but sadly i am not able to post pictures, If any of you good people would be happy to post them for me pm me and i will email the photos to you Thank you
    "IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE, DO PENCILS MISSPELL WORDS ?"

I shoot on a rifle range so there are certain target restrictions.
    However as the range i use is next to a clay shooting stand there are always bits of shot clays mainly down at and beyond the 35yd area.

I enjoy shooting weed stems, dandelion flowers and seed heads etc.

Regards

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    Does anyone remember an article from the late 70s in Airgun World titled "Light Fantastic"? The writer took light bulbs and used them for targets (in woods if I'm not mistaken).
    It was a long time ago and I may well have got this totally wrong but in my mind I think I'm remembering it correctly.
    I remember the article- rifle was a Hammerlli 401 in .177 with a 4X40 scope. Ranges were if I recall 100yards and 150 yards. Don't think they were shot in the woods or even in this country.
    Last edited by Big Seth; 17-10-2018 at 08:37 PM.

Try those 22 blanks made for putting in metal targets only push one into a spud or apple, impressive.

Regards

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Martin(rockape) View Post
    Try those 22 blanks made for putting in metal targets only push one into a spud or apple, impressive.

Regards

Martin
    Poor spuds and apples

Quote Originally Posted by Big Seth View Post
    I remember the article- rifle was a Hammerlli 401 in .177 with a 4X40 scope. Ranges were if I recall 100yards and 150 yards. Don't think they were shot in the woods or even in this country.
    Your memory is a lot better than mine, I can't remember the gun (I got the venue wrong too). After all it is about 40 years ago.

If you are skilled try shooting through a polo mint with a backstop to show where you are hitting. Even with a pcp in .177cal its bloody hard. When i was younger and before my eyesight went crap i did do this after hrs of practice. Sounds easier than it is. But you have to weigh your pellets to get this accuracy also.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    Firebird exploding targets taped to empty miniature plastic bottles full of unleaded

.243 at 100 yards

Impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post

Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    My shooting accuracy has definitely improved since using Polo Mints as a target and are my first and only choice these days, I use no other.....Never busted one yet, they go straight through I kid you not......
    I believe you, but then again I've won the Mr. Gullible world championship 5 years running.

Question Heck

Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    My shooting accuracy has definitely improved since using Polo Mints as a target and are my first and only choice these days, I use no other.....Never busted one yet, they go straight through I kid you not......
    Heck at what distance ? what air rifle do you shoot and in what cal ? also do you shoot with open sights or are you using a scope if you are using a scope what scope do you use ? If you are using one of your BSA superstar's on open sights with the bisley wasp pellets you like to use then i can understand how you are achieving this, Well must go i think i have just spotted Elvis Presley flying a UFO with michael Jackson sat on his knee,
    Last edited by Top Gun FX2000; 19-10-2018 at 05:07 PM.

I am using a Baikal IJ-38 open sights, care of a great deal with thisdonald, a regular contributor on this great website, at 30 yards. Marksman pellets, scrubbed and washed thoroughly, dried and sprayed with Pledge, then carefully selected by the Biro pen gauge method. A well respected observer reckoned they were all fliers, but, I don't believe him......