Thread: Airmax replacement

Airmax replacement

guys i am looking to replace my 6x24x50 airmax 30sf....i need a smaller model with sf for personal reasons preferably without reticle illumination turret...this is going to be purely for vermin ..ratting mostly ...with a rear nv addon unit

any suggestions ...i have penciled in a Falcon m18+ and a vortex ...at a lot more money

thanks for any suggestions

Obvious choice would be either one of the smaller Airmax 30's or the Vantage SF IR either 3-12x50 or 4-16x50 (models 14290-14291) if it's for use with an Addonite type add-on I'd go with a 3-12 rather than 4-16.

As it happens I've also got the 6-24 Airmax 30 & also the 14291 4-16 Vantage, both are on a par glass wise, & I've never had any issue with the IR turret on the Airmax fouling a night vision DSA.

A Nikko Stirling Diamond long range is also on a par glass wise, 4-16x50 being the smallest model, I'm told they work well with NV but have never tried myself.

But of course if as you say it's primarily for NV Ratting you could easily drop down a level to the cheaper Vantage SF 3-12x44 (14160) which is still a very competent scope, another alternative would be to look for a good used 3-12x50 Sidewinder model HK4002 (or 03 with SR pro ret).

its a start thanks..ive had a vantage before it worked well...the ir turret thing...it just bugs me...i dont need it..i dont want it...but like you my nv gear has never interfered with it...just dont like it

the 14160 may be just the ticket

Discovery scopes are getting good reviews at the moment - to me, they seem similarly spec'd to Hawkes.
    ....... They may have something in their range that suits.

All of the above.

for nv

You don't want anything with a fine reticle, I tried a "connect" for its wide field of view and found it too fine. I settled on a Hawke SF Varmint which has a thick half mildot reticle. Also worth a look and very reasonably priced are the PAO SF range. I had a compact one which I regret selling.

I like Hawke scopes my self , I have tried a few other makes like Niko sterling which are ok but not as good as Hawke , mtc which I have tried a few different models but just find reticules are all to fussy and mamba did suffer from white out in low light a long with fussy lines everywhere.
    Discovery which I have 3-12-44 sf recital are very clear 1/2 mildot with plenty of aim point for air riffle same with the glass ,very clear, come with flip up scope caps and a very nice side wheel which is very handy indeed ,specially with Addon NV from CRS . Normally these side wheels are far to big but this one is about 50mm Spec is on par with Hawke vantage 3-12-44 sf but has no side wheel . IMO it is just as good as the Hawke if not better and about £70-75 cheaper
    If any one is looking for a new scope , defiantly have a look at Discovery scopes https://discoveryoptics.co.uk/vt-z-sf-range/

that discovery could be the way to go...thanks

goin to visit a seller soon for the discovery...on its way to him now

https://discoveryoptics.co.uk/home/rifle-scopes/hs/

thanks for the advice

anyone wanna buy an airmax ha